XBMC Model
Which is the best model in XBMC ? And why ?
What modelHuh
CPU:- AMD FX 4100 Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 RAM:-4GB Graphics: AMD HD 7750 1GB DDR5 PSU: IBALL 500W Display: DELL S2240M Storage: 1TB
Can you rephrase this? I don't even know what you are asking.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Pretty sure this is a bot, or phishing attempt. Banned.
EDIT: Well, don't I feel silly writing an essay for a bot Eek ...

@joebrady, are you sure? This looks like it might just be a language barrier/poor research skills...Nerd

The user has 4 other posts that all seem reasonably... human.

1. Assuming you mean OS:

I have heard multiple Dev's say it is equally stable on all operating systems, so it is a personal choice. In general, your main .choices are Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

Within the Linux category, you have 2 special subcategories: XBMC Live and OpenElec. These are stripped down distributions of linux that boot practically nothing but XBMC, which gives you excellent startup time, and minimal resource usage if you are using low-powered hardware such as an Atom/Ion Combination. These features have been dubbed the "appliance feel"--feels like a DVR on crack, not a personal computer running an application

That being said, there are certain things, such as Netflix, that are only available on Windows due to proprietary software requirements. Also, if you want to use your HTPC for gaming, Windows is clearly the only choice outside of emulators to play older games. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Windows is required for playing BluRay discs, via an external player.

In conclusion: OS doesn't really matter for XBMC itself, but for your HTPC experience in general:
-OpenElec and XBMCLive for the "appliance feel"
-Windows for compatibility with gaming and proprietary goodness (in the few cases it exists)

For Mac, though XBMC is compatible, you may want to check out Plex, a fork of XBMC just for Mac with better integration with Itunes, etc.

New builds are also running on IOS devices (iphone etc), but I do not think that it is necessarily advisable to run an entire htpc off of such a device at this time.

2. Assuming you mean hardware:

XBMC runs on anything. It doesn't matter much what your hardware is, however, I would recommend the following:

A. If you have the means, and building a cheap Network Attached Storage (NAS) is advisable if you want your media to be accessible from multiple clients in your house. This also removes noisy hard drives from your viewing area.

B. I highly recommend the following general specs for HTPC's:

-Running your OS and XBMC, as well as XBMC's image cache off of a Solid State Hard Drive (SSD). This eliminates heat and noise from your HTPC (assuming your media is elsewhere on an NAS), and also, XBMC LOVES the quick access to images. Much smoother performance.

-Low powered Atom processors are sufficient for MOST skins, emulator gaming, and XBMC Live or OpenElec, BUT---- They must have the Ion graphic proccessing for HD Playback.

-Related to previous, it is advisable to use a video card with a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), which will de-burden the CPU of decoding HD Video, regardless of your processor's strength. Of course, a high-powered i7 doesn't need this to play HD, but if you have such a processor, you probably already have such a video card.

-At LEAST 2 Gigs of RAM. You could probably get by with less, but depending on the skin you use, XBMC really loves RAM for all of the bells and whistles.

Search the forum for recommendations by HTPC Guy and Eskro for specific hardware recommendations.

3. Assuming you mean nightly builds vs. stable builds:

Stable builds. Unless there is some bleeding edge feature you can't live without, stick with the stable builds.

Love,
Brandon
90% sure....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Model0