French Localisation
As I noticed that the french version of xbmc lacked proper translation I decided to work on it along the localisation of The carmichael skin.

I looked at the xxx:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\language\english and \french files to find that they don't have the same content : some strings appearing in the french file but not in the english one..... !?!?!?

Is there a network repositery where I could for sure grab the right ones ?
Wink 
Hi,

There is a french users community http://passion-xbmc.org/forum/ in charge of the translated french file.

Hope this help Laugh
tamplan Wrote:Hi,

There is a french users community http://passion-xbmc.org/forum/ in charge of the translated french file.

Hope this help Laugh

Using the last xbmc stable It's obvious they are... Are they the official xbmc french localisation team or did they just made theirs ?
Well I guess I'm on my way to their site. Thanks.
tamplan Wrote:Hi,

Hope this help Laugh

idoru17 Wrote:Using the last xbmc stable It's obvious they are... Are they the official xbmc french localisation team or did they just made theirs ?
Well I guess I'm on my way to their site. Thanks.

Well, i did went to that website to discover that they are only offering xbmc V9.11 and nightly builds.
And by the way, aren't they supposed to forward to the main xbmc site/group their work in order for it to be incorporated in every subsequent releases ?

Can someone tell me the files involved in localisation and why in the latest release of xbmc there are differences between english and french languages (like strings id in the second one and not in the first) ??
idoru17 Wrote:Well, i did went to that website to discover that they are only offering xbmc V9.11 and nightly builds.
And by the way, aren't they supposed to forward to the main xbmc site/group their work in order for it to be incorporated in every subsequent releases ?

Can someone tell me the files involved in localisation and why in the latest release of xbmc there are differences between english and french languages (like strings id in the second one and not in the first) ??

The last stable build of XBMC is 10.1 and they are not going to rebuild that as they are now working on 11.0 Eden.

I don't think there is a "official"language team. The main language supported is English and all other language are more or less maintained by the dev team or users.
So it depends on what you want. Do you want to keep using 10.1 you have to finished translating that file and keep it safe if you need to reinstall 10.1 as it will overwrite everything. Keep in mind that the file you found is only for the XBMC core. There are also sperate language files for skins and some add-ons (if they do support that).
If you want to use the nightly builds (pre-eden) then you can grab those files and start translating/updating them. After that you can post them on the forum or send them to someone who can uploade them to the dev. area.
If you know how it works upload them yourself.
You could PM me and i could upload them.
After they have been accepted they will be included in the nightly builds. Same again for skins/add-ons.

Keep in mind that the 10.1 and the pre-eden 11.0 files and not exactly the same.
English is the MASTER file. So the "string id's " in there need to be in your language file. Everythings else can be deleted.

This is where the master files are. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc
So i check and last update for french was june 16th. English was july 27th. Compared to most other languages it fairly upto date

Again this is only the Core and the standard Confluence skin. So if you want french supported in others skins contact the creater.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:The last stable build of XBMC is 10.1 and they are not going to rebuild that as they are now working on 11.0 Eden.

I don't think there is a "official"language team. The main language supported is English and all other language are more or less maintained by the dev team or users.
So it depends on what you want. Do you want to keep using 10.1 you have to finished translating that file and keep it safe if you need to reinstall 10.1 as it will overwrite everything. Keep in mind that the file you found is only for the XBMC core. There are also sperate language files for skins and some add-ons (if they do support that).
If you want to use the nightly builds (pre-eden) then you can grab those files and start translating/updating them. After that you can post them on the forum or send them to someone who can uploade them to the dev. area.
If you know how it works upload them yourself.
You could PM me and i could upload them.
After they have been accepted they will be included in the nightly builds. Same again for skins/add-ons.

Keep in mind that the 10.1 and the pre-eden 11.0 files and not exactly the same.
English is the MASTER file. So the "string id's " in there need to be in your language file. Everythings else can be deleted.

This is where the master files are. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc
So i check and last update for french was june 16th. English was july 27th. Compared to most other languages it fairly upto date

Again this is only the Core and the standard Confluence skin. So if you want french supported in others skins contact the creater.

thanks for your input, I'll look into that url and the file !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
French Localisation0