XBMC - New Media Centre Remote Help
hi guys i plan to build a htpc and use xbmc this is what i plan to build

CASE: Silverstone GD06

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255 Dual Core 2meg Cache 3.1Ghz (AM3)

MOBO: ASRock 880GM-LE 880G DDR3(AMD Radeon HD 4250 graphics onboard)

HDD: 2 x 2tb Western Digital Green SATA Hard Drives

WIFI: TP-LINK TL-WN951N PCI 3T3R 300M Wireless-N Network Card
(for transferring copies of videos from home server to htpc about 12 metres away in the lounge room from the home office and also for internet connection to download all episode info and fanart)

PSU: Choice 1: Seasonic S12II-430Watt
Choice 2: ANTEC 500watt BASIQ
Choice 3: CORSAIR CX430 V2 Power Supply 430Watt

can someone tell me if this will be a good setup i will be running windows 7 ultimate x64 on it and xbmc (of course) will this play all videos including blu-ray i do plan to buy a seperate video card perhaps something like

MSI 1GB 5570 PCI-E VGA Card for $59

or

SAPPHIRE HD5450 1GB GDDR3 DVI / HDMI / D-Sub Core Clock: 650 MHz Memory 1334MHz

also i need help on choosing a remote control i am looking for something for under $100 that will work well i know i could just use a wireless mouse but as everyone else in my house is not familiar with using a mouse i think it is best to stick with a remote which they are more comfortable with

the remote obviously needs a reciever as well so if you can recommend any good easy to use compatible ones i don't need a fancy over the top one with a million buttons as long as i can navigate press play, stop rewind, etc....
Re the remote, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews

I strongly recommend using a Microsoft compatible aka eHome or RC6 remote as these are highly configurable, and they are more like $30 than $100. If, in the future, you want to upgrade to a universal remote like the Harmony range, this will be easy because the harmonies can emulate a Microsoft handset.

Re the PC, bear in mind that noise can be a problem for HTPCs. A lot of us use a small quiet low powered PC to run XBMC on and have a server with big disks hidden in a cupboard somewhere.

JR
hi i was looking at a antec fusion case that comes with a remote control would the remote work with xbmc i don't need every button to work just the navigation ones and play stop fast forward etc...

i want to know if i should buy it or get another htpc case i think it has iMon and it comes with 2 remotes

original Remote (RM200) and Smaller Remote (RM100)
The Antec remote will probably work, since most remotes do. Having said that, I don't think the iMon remotes will work without some helper software, so the Antec is probably a better choice than the iMon.

JR
I use a antec fusion black case
the imon software will allow you to use a windows media center remote in place of the imon remote that ships with the case. (I'm using a harmony remote programed to act like a windows media center remote)

The imon software will also allow you to map keystrokes to remote buttons, I needed to do this to make skip forward, backward, and RW/FF work properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - New Media Centre Remote Help0