NAS vs HTPC w/ Drives?
What are your thoughts on a NAS vs a HTPC w/ more hard drive bays within itself?

How did you choose which route to go and why?

Similarly, just buying a multi-bay enclosure and plugging that into the HTPC.

Basically... a standalone "drive system" or have the HTPC manage the space?
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:What are your thoughts on a NAS vs a HTPC w/ more hard drive bays within itself?

What are your requirements and want to haves?

for example, if you will have only 1 htpc and everything will be self contained and depending on your environmental requirements you could go with an entire self contained environment.

If you are going to run multiple xbmc clients, a central server that also acts as a mysql, and perhaps supports other services like sab, sickbeard or even other non home theater uses might make sense.

there are lots of other hybrid configurations between highly centralized to highly decentralized, it all is contingent on what you wish to accomplish.

In my example I have an home office computer does dual duty for basic office type activities as well as acts as a XBMC client, and is a server for sab/sickbeard/mysql/file and some non home theater servers. In the Theater, living, and bed rooms, there are thin xbmc clients pc, all they do is boot to xbmc mounting up the nas or file server for content.

My suggestion is to define your requirements then find the configuration that will best meet those needs, the good thing is, all of this stuff is highly configurable to work in multiple configurations.
I am a fan of seperate HTPCs and NASes. Why? Because the best NAS softwares (Unraid/FreeNAS/etc.) all require dedicated PCs. With internal disks in a HTPC the best you can do is regular RAID, which means you probably won't use any parity protection and you will always be one disk blowing up away from losing data.

Yet thanks to WD Green drives (which put off almost no heat) I am not as against it as I used to be. If you are gonna only have ONE box FOREVER in your entire house for XBMC, AND you don't mind the extra noise such devices produce, NAS+HTPCs can be cost effective.

Yea... I actually went the route of 2bay NAS + HTPC but in hindsight wondering if all-in-one would be a better solution.

Get something like a 5-bay enclosure... RAID 5 it through HTPC raid card/controller and could also network share it if necessary.

It's a combo NAS+HTPC...

My NAS (Synology DS211j) supports stuff like MySQL, sickbeard, etc. etc... but I could have just run that all off my HTPC computer...

Hmmm...!
The way I do it is with a HTPC using just a tiny mini itx case (the M350) along with a 40gb SSD, which runs windows and XBMC. All my media is stored on a server in my office, which is based on an E350 board and a 30gb SSD for OS, and 4x 2TB drives for storage.

I like this approach because the server is remotely managed from my PC/laptop/ipad so I can still tell it what to download, what files to backup and sync, and even set access restrictions for other people. Plus this approach means my XBMC system can be as small, quiet, and low power as possible while my media library can continue to expand as needed. No need for external USB drives all over the place.

The biggest things to consider for an all in one is performance, power, heat, noise levels, and physical size. You'll be making trade offs back and forth with an all in one solution, either favoring the storage capacity of the NAS which means higher power, more noise, and a bigger case for better cooling/more drives. I personally don't think an all in one solution is really worth it unless you are limiting yourself to one or two 3.5" drives, so probably 2-6TB depending on drive size, would be your limit. Most cases that hold more than 2x 3.5" drives are going to be larger and harder to hide. I'm crazy about clean look, it bothers the hell out of me that I haven't relocated my receiver yet. All I want to see is my TV and speakers, no lights, no fan noise, nothing :p

Really everyone has their own needs and approach and I really don't think one size fits all. But having said that I think most people started out with an all in one build and later turned to a small HTPC + NAS.
poofyhairguy Wrote:I am a fan of seperate HTPCs and NASes. Why? Because the best NAS softwares (Unraid/FreeNAS/etc.) all require dedicated PCs. With internal disks in a HTPC the best you can do is regular RAID, which means you probably won't use any parity protection and you will always be one disk blowing up away from losing data.

While I see where you are going, I dont completely agree as your response as it appears to group data protection with NAS to be the same thing. NAS or as you put it "best NAS softwares", does not equate to the products Unraid/FreeNAS/etc, rather those are pre-packaged ways of implementing NAS type functionality which also provide some some data protection capabilities as additional features.

NAS by definition is just network attached storage, and is independent of any data protection capabilities such as raid or or non standard raid-ish parity protection approaches. For example a samba share on a PC is NAS. But I do agree with the theory of segmenting HTPC type functionality, for example if you want the best file server (NAS), build a file server host, if you want the best presentation based host, build a client host designed for that purpose, hybrids create trade offs which is ok too.

In the most basic NAS configuration you have a DASD being abstracted by software which provides access to that media through a protocol such as SMB or NFS, to the network, this is independent of any DAS protection. This DASD can be protected by some kind of data protection technology such as standard or non standard raid type capabilities for example. Packaging those together to create a product like what Unraid and others have done in order to create value, but in many cases some if not all of those capabilities are available as components to in many OS distributions, for example linux with ZSF and CIFS/nfs, or standard software raid and CIFS/NFS.

Clearly packages like Unraid provide some unique proprietary value through their packaging, ease of use, software interfaces, and even in their propriety approach to data recovery, which btw I think is brilliant from perspective of a media storage server. The great thing about these "all in one packages" is they are designed to be an appliance model, which means they also have the negative trade off of being an appliance model or in other words they are a bit of a walled garden. Being an appliance model, does not equate to the logic of the reason to segment functionality, as I think you are arguing in your statement of "Because the best NAS softwares (Unraid/FreeNAS/etc.) all require dedicated PCs. ", but rather it is one marketing approach of supporting NAS services with some data protection. Additionally "best" is so subjective and presumptive, as it would mean you have some unique insight to understand the use case without presentation of said case. Alternatively it can be argued, that the requirements of residential based media file servers may not be compute intensive environments, and if one was going to keep NAS type services online 7/24 on a host, it would be useful to make those resources available for other purposes beyond the features of what a NAS appliance might provide. This is the reason, I think why folks like myself are less inclined to use a product like unraid. That being said I would love to see something like how unraid implements their raid4-ish style approach for parity protection of data inside of a standard model that could be implemented on a Linux distribution, from what I have read, I think it is an elegant and efficient approach to the use case of protecting media files, and I have found something quite like it under the more standard models.
You are 100% right that you can bolt together a roll-your-own Linux based HTPC/NAS that could leverage a lot of the benefits of NASes and HTPCs (named XBMC and better software RAID). You can do a really good job, I was there once.

But I do believe, that if you have multiple clients (or plan to) a dedicated NAS or server is a superior solution to a mixed HTPC/NAS in almost all cases.

As far as the limitation of software like Unraid, my personal solution was to overbuild a HTPC a little to take on the extra sick/sab/LiveTV/etc. duties. Great way to go because all that stuff requires tinkering almost constantly, and it hurts way less for the bedroom HTPC to be messed up than my mediaserver (from my wife's perspective).

Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:What are your thoughts on a NAS vs a HTPC w/ more hard drive bays within itself?

Had a stand alone raid5 server that made a lot of noise/heat/power usage, migrated to a all in one setup with a multi-bay (4 bay Mediasonic, great box) enclosure and my main XBMC STB. I now have low heat, extremely low noise (within 6-9 incles you might barely hear the fans), Raid5 with LVM and when I suspend XBMC so does the multi-bay enclosure with WD/Samsung green drives (Save power , heat and drives). I can also WOL the main xbmc/server from droid remote or any slave xbmc box in the house that also powers up the attached esata multi-bay drives.

My main XBMC is running a core 2 duo 45w, 250W PS, Rosewill 2 port PCIE-1x esata with port multiplier support. The Mediasonic multi-bay box has its own PS, fans, auto power off with PC, etc. To me this is by far the best setup using Ubuntu mdadm raid5 with lvm2 support and external multi-bay storage. I can add another 8-12TB of storage by adding another Mediasonic box, and create another array cost for SW $0, cost for new 8TB array around $400.

I have 4 add'l xbmc boxes running off the main xbmc box, including tvheadend (2 tuner cards), streaming music and videos over the internet to my droid phone and tablet and have never run into performance issues. Freaking Ubuntu/XBMC is the best. If you use MS, I probably would go with a separate server.

As far as tinkering, I do that in my office unit, get it right and then ssh/ftp files over the main system. Haven't had a gotcha in 18 months doing it that way. It is also a good idea to make a backup image of root using clonezilla. You can restore a root image in about 10 minutes, I have images of all my units, I can restore a total system in 20 about twenty minutes.
This thread just made me completely rethink the way i saw my HTPC, no longer will i have it all combined. I will be now going the HTPC + NAS route Smile

bringing back an old but still extremely useful thread! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS vs HTPC w/ Drives?0