PCM audio passthru on Linux
On the windows client, with passthru set up, on my amp, i can see the name of the stream, Dolby or DTS HD, etc.
Under Linux i with passthru setup and Linux Mint 18.1 audio out set to HDMI 7.1, the amp always stays on PCM. i do seem to be getting the correct surround sound. Any way to let the amp do the decoding?
debug log (wiki) and a screenshot of your audio settings please.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
don't use PulseAudio (wiki)
Here is my audio config https://www.flickr.com/photos/tape_ape/3...ed-public/
Here is my Kodi log https://paste.ubuntu.com/24845054

It seems to me that the audio config in Ubuntu Mint should include a setting for HDMI passthru. I have discovered that if i set the config to 7.1, my amp reads PCM, and if i set it to 5.1, the amp reads Dolby Digital, even on a DTS stream. Playing the same movie in VLC, i also get PCM on the amp.

Ok, so i removed Pulse, and now i get correct Dolby EX on Dolby movies. Strangely, i also get Dolby on DTS movies. When i ripped the movie, i only ripped the DTS track. When i scroll the movie list, in the bottom right corner of the screen Kodi shows DTS-MA. Tried a shorter HDMI cable, no change. However, Dolby HD movies also show up as just PCM, so i think there is some transcoding going on somewhere.
Have you enabled the HD audio formats in Kodi? Make sure you set your settings level to 'expert' and configure the audio formats your AVR is capable of.

Also make sure you disabled "sync playback to display" as this will automatically disable any passthrough option in Kodi. But as for the reason you see Dolby Digital on your AVR, I guess that's not enabled.
(2017-06-13, 15:28)DaVu Wrote: Have you enabled the HD audio formats in Kodi?

Thats got her fixed! Thanks! i was more used to the Kodi version 15 and always set advanced on that, but i didn't see the advanced setting in 17 until i went looking for it. This is great, 'cause i am really trying to ditch windows, and this is one of the last holdouts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PCM audio passthru on Linux0