"Could not download information. Unable to connect to remote server.
Hello everyone,

I can't add movies to my xbmc library anymore.

Whenever I put something in the Movies folder, I get:

"Could not download information. Unable to connect to remote server. Would you like to continue scanning?"

If I delete everything from the movies folder, everything goes back to normal. Does not affect TV shows.

Any ideas? I'm on Mac/Snow Leopard by the way/\.
Thanks!
Same here. Resuming sometimes works for a little while, sometimes not.
check your shares guys...this has been covered in the forums at length... anyhow check to make sure that the everyone group has access to your shares, and I have found that using the simple file sharing is the easiest way other than setting up the shares via the ip address the media is on. Hope this gets you going in the right direction

remove anything having to do with windows live..
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
1) Debug Log.

It should mean that it's timing out for no good reason.

Quote:windows live..
You wanna know how I know you didn't even bother to read what he wrote?
Quote:I'm on Mac/Snow Leopard by the way
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
It seems to be the scrapers that it's having trouble with. It finds a movie (I also have the problem with TV shows) but then fails when trying to fetch the metadata.

Sometimes it'll grab a dozen movies or so and then fail. Trying again sometimes restarts the import, sometimes not.

Example:

19:10:32 T:6672 M:4294967295 WARNING: XFILE::CFileCurl::CReadState::FillBuffer: curl failed with code 22
19:10:32 T:6672 M:4294967295 ERROR: CFileCurl::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
19:10:32 T:6672 M:4294967295 ERROR: ADDON::CScraper::Run: Unable to parse web site
Yup im on nightly builds and can confirm that the
tmdb scraper has issues. Switch to imdb scraper which
seems to be working.

It's prolly gonna be fixed soon.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Goes with my feature request: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104353
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
well...didn't see the last part.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Same connection problem here with the imdb scraper
although this isn't probably the case for everyone, I found this was the case for me on a LOT of the issues I was having.

Primarily, the file naming was terribly off. I had to spend a few hours fixing this for my TV shows and some movies, using Ember and TV Rename (WARNING - Do not let TV Rename create folder.jpg files if you want to se Wide Icons, that was a suckfest).

Once I corrected the screwy data, I had very few, if no, errors like this. So while it might have some problems with connections, try fixing your info first and then try again. Can't hurt to clean it up anyway Smile
Mac OS X can also have permissions issues in SMB shares. Individual files can be set wrong. Used to happen to me all the time.

Right click on the folder containing the files you are sharing, "Get Info". Unlock the padlock at the bottom of this window. If it's a public share and there's no password then you can just make sure that "everyone" has read/write access, then click on the gear at the bottom and "apply to enclosed items"

I hear that changing permissions from "Get Info" can be a little wonky sometimes (I wouldn't use it in other areas where you need to change permissions), but for something like this it should be okay. Obviously there are terminal commands for this as well, but I can't for the life of me remember a nice and free GUI utility that also works very well. I'm sure someone more experienced than I can probably give the best/easier advice for changing file permissions.
I've been testing and experimenting upgrading/downgrading the last 3 versions of the software: 10.0-7, 10.0-8, and 10.0-9 for the past 2 hours or so.

This is definitely an issue since 10.0-8. Both 10.0.8 and 10.0-9 have this issue. If you downgrade to 10.0-7 the issue goes away. Unfortunately 10-0-7 has the old incorrect audio downmix problem where if you listen on a 2 channel system all the front audio is in the right channel and all the rear audio is in the left. Not a good solution for my bedroom TV that isn't hooked up to a stereo.

So I get to choose if I want a working scraper, or a proper audio-mix Laugh

This is definitely not an SMB permission issue or any issue to do with your file server at all, as the problem goes away if you downgrade to 10-0-7. I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 as my file server running SAMBA. Hopefully a new version comes out soon to fix this.
Im also pretty sure it hasn't anything to do with my setup. On my network
i have win7 boxes, ubuntu boxes and NFS boxes and i havent changed
any thing on my network for ages.

And until i upgraded to one of the latest nightly's the problem showed up. Off-course running unstable nightly's i must expect that i get problems so
i can always move back to the official supported build Wink

After some more digging into the problem it seems like xbmc suddenly has more generic network problems, not only when using scrapers but also when trying
to browse smb workgroups....
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
its a known issue on trunk and 10.0-9 , its being looked at
amet Wrote:its a known issue on trunk and 10.0-9 , its being looked at

Thanks for the info :-)

Other than this issue, XBMC on my AppleTV2 works great. My mom uses it as a unit for her bedroom TV, (of course I administer it). I find that the skin, "PMD.HD" works well, especially if you turn off the extra animations (so you basically only have disolves/fades between menus). The bedroom TV is an older 2007 32" LG HDTV which is only 720p anyhow (1366x768) so 1080p output doesn't matter to me.

I think a really good option that should be added to the AppleTV2 version of XBMC is the ability for the software to not add HD movies to the library while scraping that are NOT in h264 codec. Most of my HD movies are in h264 but a few of them are in xvid/divx (people should not encode HD with those old codecs). As you guys know, the AppleTV2 can't accelerate HD that isn't in h264 so it would be handy if the AppleTV2 could auto-remove movies that it knows won't play back properly. So the AppleTV's movie/tv show library would ONLY be filled with compatible 720p/1080p h264 files while omiting the incompatible HD movies in other codecs. I'd imagine this wouldn't be too hard to add since the scraper already detects the codec and resolution of each movie/tv show when it displays those little "720p" and "h264" icons in the media info for each movie. All that the software would need to do is anytime a movie came back as 720p or 1080p and a codec other than h264, it would auto-remove it from the AppleTV's library. This way all the movies will show up in the library on my full HTPC in the living room while the library on the AppleTV2 will only show the HD movies that actually work on the AppleTV2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Could not download information. Unable to connect to remote server.0