Remember "Continue Scanning" & Don't interrupt movie.
So right now my internet is "flaky" (or xbmc is being a *(@(* because the internet works fine everywhere else). (IPv6 has been disabled)

When it kicks off a scan I'll get a "Could not connect to the database, would you like to continue scanning."

Except if I answer yes, the NEXT time it has a problem, it'll tell me again. If I wanted you to continue scanning the 1st time: I pretty much want you to continue scanning incase you pull your head out of your routing tables and figure out how to get to the internet (that works just fine for apt-get).

Second. I can think of only a few things that should interrupt my movie experience.
1) Weather plugin detects an F5 headed directly to my location.

Yeah, that's about it. Certainly not repeated messages about "Well I timed out while trying to curl something off of a website that goes down like a college girl low on money". Save it for next time I hit stop or back or something.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Haha ! i have the exact same view as darkscout ! +1
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Definitely makes much more sense this way.
+1 You took the words right out of my mouth Smile
HAHAHA, I have the exact same problem.
i'm setting XBMC up in my new home and it keeps giving problems with the scans.
I first thought it might be my internet connection, however everything else works fine. The website must be timing out.

I agree that the reoccuring message is a bit redundant Wink
We could use a new notification system, something which can handle queued messages. something akin to android or gnome3 springs to mind.

Patches welcomed
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
There seems to be 3 issues here:

1. Should you get prompted more than once during a scan.
2. Why are you getting prompted to begin with - false positive?
3. Should you get prompted if a video is playing.

Number 1 is easy to solve, however it's silly to look at it without first resolving 2.

Number 3 is trickier than one would think - there's a reason we're prompting here - it's supposed to mean "we really can't do anything during this scan, so we suggest you stop it right now". It seems to me that it is again a consequence of number 2.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Bumped.

I have a crontab to scan the library every 10 minutes. (Because of the way my network is setup sickbeard won't do it right). When I'm watching something every 10 minutes I'll get a little blip of the progress bar.

I know I can hide it, but I like to see what my library is doing without tailing the debug log. HOWEVER, back to my original thing, NOTHING should interrupt the movie/TV experience. Nothing. Not a menu, not a "can't connect to a server".
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Lightbulb 
jmarshall Wrote:There seems to be 3 issues here:
1. Should you get prompted more than once during a scan.

No way. Remember the decision for the scan.
Would be great to have a checkbox as well, saying "remember my decision." (needs a place in the options as well then.)

jmarshall Wrote:2. Why are you getting prompted to begin with - false positive?
Don't think so, the server may not respond every time.

jmarshall Wrote:3. Should you get prompted if a video is playing.
Number 3 is trickier than one would think - there's a reason we're prompting here - it's supposed to mean "we really can't do anything during this scan, so we suggest you stop it right now". It seems to me that it is again a consequence of number 2.

I'd say: Try it, say 50 times, then stop automatically. But don't tell the user about it, if he is watching something at that moment. You could tell him (via a note "Scanning has failed, server did not respond for X times. Check your network connection.", not a dialogue) if he stops watching content. That would be awesome.
I registered on the site just to +1 this.

It's not that it interrupts my movies or tv shows. It's just when it is scanning for new content I have to sit here and wait for the dialog box to appear and click keep scanning. I cant just leave it scanning for an hour. No
Went to watch a movie tonight. The scanning of my library kicked in and I had to click Yes every 2 minutes... Extremely aggravating.

The reason it kept asking is because TheTVDB.com is on a crap server and gets hammered too much and it always fails!

Click YES - and keep clicking YES til the library update is finished is essential.

Even a YES in Advancesettings.xml?
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
DejaVu Wrote:Went to watch a movie tonight. The scanning of my library kicked in and I had to click Yes every 2 minutes... Extremely aggravating.

The reason it kept asking is because TheTVDB.com is on a crap server and gets hammered too much and it always fails!

Click YES - and keep clicking YES til the library update is finished is essential.

Even a YES in Advancesettings.xml?

I'm sure this was mentioned in the "help" section? Do you mean you don't want to be interrupted when xbmc can't contact tvdb etc?

If so try adding this to advancedsettings:

Code:
<videoscanner>
<ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors>
</videoscanner>
theWizord Wrote:It's not that it interrupts my movies or tv shows. It's just when it is scanning for new content I have to sit here and wait for the dialog box to appear and click keep scanning. I cant just leave it scanning for an hour. No

Exactly! Hope this will be fixed in Eden....
This DOES stop the annoying popup.
It suppresses the confirmation automatically and continues scanning.
Will be putting a request in to update the Wiki for a better explanation on this today.

Scanned my entire Library (700+ Movies & 3,000+ TV Shows) last night and did not ask once.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
I still can't get this to work.

Here is my advancedsettings.xml file

<advancedsettings>
<videoscanner>
<ignoreerrors>true</ignoreerrors>
</videoscanner>
</advancedsettings>

Any ideas what is wrong here?

Edit: I was leaving out the closing / of the last element.. doh!! So far so good. Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remember "Continue Scanning" & Don't interrupt movie.1