Text 2 Speech Accessibility for the Blind
Ned Scott Wrote:Do you find the post disrespectful simply because the question involved blind people?

Answering a question by belittling the poster with your statement is what I found rude. I didn't see you making any jokes about the blind. Too hard for you to follow?
please chill or you know what happens. this thread got off on the wrong foot, corrected itself and now it's starting again. Ned Scott already ate his crow (mmmm, I like mine with barbecue sauce), now let it be.
kinison Wrote:I think that having it work with an iPhone or iPad Touch would really be all you would need to support, because almost every blind friend I have, already owns one. The reason being, before the iPhone, you spent 1,000$ on a special Nokia phone and software and it basically did 1/5th of what the iPhone does and it was far more annoying.

If you could add network shares via an .XML file (like it was years ago, on the original Xbox), then that would be all that you would need to do, the rest is done by the iPhone and a bluetooth earpiece. My friend will just read the instructions, download the file, edit in notepad, then FTP it back to the device. But i'll have to see just how difficult it will be for him to manually add a network share within XBMC using the iPhone. I dont own an iPhone and have yet to how these apps work.

Thank you for all the work done for XBMC port for AppleTV. Even at its current state, is a far better media player than my WDTV Live.

afaik the shares xml is still available and still in use so nothing changed in that regard.

However, ideally it should be simpler Smile What would be needed for xbmc to integrate with already existing software for text 2 speech and such was more my question. I have no experience with those libraries but if we know whats needed to make them work perhaps we could make those changes (or at the very least suggest how someone interested could do it, as addon or otherwise.)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
It would appear that the ATV installer, allows for a more generic media player to be installed and that works with the remote control and text 2 speech accessibility over SMB shares. While thats going to be far easier for the blind to configure and control, XBMC is a tad better. All my blind friends are at some national conference in Florida right now, still waiting to test out XBMC using an iPhone app to control.
Hello,
What resources specifically would be needed to get a serious look into making XBMC accessible? Is it something that enough money would cure? Or is it just that there aren't enough programmers contributing?
(2012-08-01, 20:05)4thmouse Wrote: Hello,
What resources specifically would be needed to get a serious look into making XBMC accessible? Is it something that enough money would cure? Or is it just that there aren't enough programmers contributing?

Normally the issue for any given feature being held up is not enough developers/time to get to that feature faster.
For anyone paying attention to this thread, I have a close friend who is a expert programmer and I have asked and he agreed to look into this for me. He says it is a big deal, however he knows that it is a even bigger deal to us. He thinks it is definite possibility. Ill keep you posted.
Did your friend ever come back to you with any ideas on how to make XBMC accessible?
Well this is kind of an update (Yes I realize to a very old thread). My friend actually developed a solution that kinda worked. Unfortunately, it was a very buggy solution. Before he could iron out the bugs, he got a job offer and ended up moving cross country. In talking with him He says he still wants to work on it, However, I have yet to see anything more and know he is way to busy. The likely hood Ill see anything more is very little.
You might want to check out this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117199
* byron27 crosses his arms and waits patiently to see 4thmouse freak the hell out when he reads that other forum. :-) They're doing some great stuff over there!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Text 2 Speech Accessibility for the Blind0