• 7(current)
Introducing my HP Microserver N36L / N40L / N54L using WHS2011 + XBMC
So I take it the N40L is out? Its available for purchase on HP's website.. anyone try it out yet. I cant seem to find it for sale anywhere else tho not on newegg not on ebay or amazon JUST on HPs website

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/MiddleF...2-14497008
Anyone have the N40L?? Or should i just get the n36L

I plan to use this JUST as a server NAS
the only difference between the N40L and the N36L seems to be the CPU which is running 200Mhz higher than the N36L and 2GB RAM vs. 1GB. the N40L CPU is rated now with 15W which imho is pretty high. 6W more for 200Mhz increase, that is 2 thirds more in power consumption for one seventh in clock rate...No

for server NAS usage i doubt you'll have any benefit from the faster CPU and the bigger RAM.

better take the N36L.
toymachine2009 Wrote:I plan to use this JUST as a server NAS

If you plan on running something like FREENAS then you are going to have to upgrade your memory anyway. (they suggest 1Gig of memory for every TB)
So the 2Gig in the N40L will need to be upgraded anyway.

I run a N36L with 8Gig Ram (normal run of the mill Non-ECC) with 5 x 2TB drives,
raided to give 8TB space, so far I'm very impressed with speed/performance.

If you are going to do more than just NAS, then more power is always better :-)
Thumbs Up 
found a post of a nice way of easily extending hdd space with a Sharkoon Sata Quickport Internal 6-Bay 2.5" hard disk, 5.25" Bay

i like ! Cool

QLink Wrote:the only difference between the N40L and the N36L seems to be the CPU which is running 200Mhz higher than the N36L and 2GB RAM vs. 1GB. the N40L CPU is rated now with 15W which imho is pretty high. 6W more for 200Mhz increase, that is 2 thirds more in power consumption for one seventh in clock rate...No

for server NAS usage i doubt you'll have any benefit from the faster CPU and the bigger RAM.

better take the N36L.

Thanks Qlink I plan just to use it as a server running Sickbeard and Sab and CP All day and night That is it pretty much! of course I plan to ad 8 gigs of ram just was wondering if the extra CPU power was worth it on the N40L which I cant even tell if its out yet or they are just showing it because I cant find it Anywhere else online yet.
Not sure if you guys are aware already, but if you plan to use this as an actual server (fill with disks) then there is a hacked bios to allow full speed to the optical and esata ports giving you 6x SATA ports Smile

I love my little MicroServer so far.. just need to figure out how to get control over the 'HP' led which provides system status if the raid crashes etc.
Swifty Wrote:Not sure if you guys are aware already, but if you plan to use this as an actual server (fill with disks) then there is a hacked bios to allow full speed to the optical and esata ports giving you 6x SATA ports Smile

I love my little MicroServer so far.. just need to figure out how to get control over the 'HP' led which provides system status if the raid crashes etc.

Yeah its mentioned in the first post, I am running the hacked bios, still not got around to buying any more hard drives yet.

Any news on Drive Bender yet?

Also I am encountering stuttering/glitches at random intervals 15mins+, yet if I pause and replay they go away quicker, usually last at least 10 seconds. Ive played with all settings yet nothing seems to cure it, any suggestions?
random stuttering/glitches ? at which filetypes/video formats is this happening?

drivebender is right before RC1 release. i guess RC will be available for download end this week or beginning next week...

so i hope final version will come beginning/mid october to us.
QLink Wrote:random stuttering/glitches ? at which filetypes/video formats is this happening?

drivebender is right before RC1 release. i guess RC will be available for download end this week or beginning next week...

so i hope final version will come beginning/mid october to us.

All filetypes/video formats i've chucked at it. Just messing about with the Nvidia settings see if that makes a difference.
yeah i also guess it's a graphics driver related problem.

i dont have any problems with my HD6450 using catalyst 11.5...
I've got an Nvidia 210. I encountered no issues under linux, so its not the card, must be the drivers.
Nope still no joy, I might have to try different 64bit drivers. or rollback.
Yep i've decided cant be bothered messing about with drivers it could take me months and still not resolve the issue.

I am going to sell the nvidia and go down the ati route.

Is the 6450 the cheapest card for our use?
nope, the cheapest would be the HD5450 but not that much.

i would recommend you to buy a HD6450 cause of following facts:

- it runs a bit cooler
- got a hdmi 1.4a port -> HD5450 got only a hdmi 1.3
- a bit more powerful
- supports UVD3/MVC -> HD5450 supports only UVD2
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Introducing my HP Microserver N36L / N40L / N54L using WHS2011 + XBMC6