[LINUX] HDMI Audio on Zotac Zbox
First Post, please let me know if more information is needed.

I purchased a Zotac Zbox to install XBMC on it as a standalone HTPC.

I followed the steps here to install Ubuntu (10.10) and XBMC Standalone: XBMCbuntu
I then attempted to follow this guide to setup HDMI audio: HDMI AUDIO

I have been unsuccessful when attempting to configure HDMI audio on my machine. When I use the aplay -l command I get the following:

Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

This is inconsistent with what I see in the guide, which is copied below:

Code:
xbmc@htpc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1

I thought to try changing the device from "hw:0,3" to "hw:1,3", but that was not successful.
I have attempted to follow that guide, and any related information that I've found on the subject, but I still do not have HDMI audio working properly.

What am I doing wrong to get this configured properly?

Please ask if any more information is required.
Hello,
I am using a Zotac Zbox HD-22. I have installed Ubuntu Live and he don't use a /etc/asound.conf but used a .asoundrc in the home repertory like that :

Quote:pcm.both {
type route
slave {
pcm multi
channels 6
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
ttable.0.4 1.0
ttable.1.5 1.0
}

pcm.multi {
type multi
slaves.a {
pcm "hdmi_hw"
channels 2
}
slaves.b {
pcm "digital_hw"
channels 2
}
slaves.c {
pcm "analog_hw"
channels 2
}
bindings.0.slave a
bindings.0.channel 0
bindings.1.slave a
bindings.1.channel 1
bindings.2.slave b
bindings.2.channel 0
bindings.3.slave b
bindings.3.channel 1
bindings.4.slave c
bindings.4.channel 0
bindings.5.slave c
bindings.5.channel 1
}

pcm.hdmi_hw {
type hw
card 0
device 3
channels 2
}

pcm.hdmi_formatted {
type plug
slave {
pcm hdmi_hw
rate 48000
channels 2
}
}

pcm.hdmi_complete {
type softvol
slave.pcm hdmi_formatted
control.name hdmi_volume
control.card 0
}

pcm.digital_hw {
type hw
card 0
device 1
channels 2
}

pcm.analog_hw {
type hw
card 0
device 0
channels 2
}

It's work like a charm with the hdmi audio out with these types of settings in system audio :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hope will help you
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have the time to sit down and troubleshoot it at the moment, but I'll update when I've testing this configuration.
That did not appear to solve my issue. I believe the issue lies with the problem I noticed when issuing the "aplay -l" command. There are 4 hdmi audio devices detected by alsamixer, which I don't believe is correct. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall pulseaudio and alsa-utils, but that did not resolve my issue either. Any further guidance would be most appreciated!
I have the exact same system and got the HDMI audio working this evening.

I followed a guide last night that had me editing the /etc/pulse/defaults.pa file along with adding a sound.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d with a single line in it. Can't remember what it was, but none of it was necessary.

I'm trying to remember exactly what I did, but I believe it was just unmuting the SPDIF outputs in alsamixer, then made the changes noted above. That didn't work, so I called it a night and tried again today.

I took out the line in the defaults.pa that I'd added, then deleted the sounds.conf file, ran update-initramfs -u, then rebooted the system. Jumped into Unity, went to System Settings -> Sound -> Hardware, and selected the HDMI device. When I clicked on the dropdown box at the bottom (defaulted to "Digital Output (HDMI)" or something like that) I found that it had several other options as well, including "Digital Output (HDMI) nr 2" and nr 3 and 4 as well. I clicked on each one, doing a speaker test after each, and found that 'nr 2' was the one that worked. Kept the 'nr 2' option in the dropdown, closed it all up, then started XBMC. Settings -> Audio Output.

I selected HDMI at the top, then found that one of the options in the next section was something like "High Definition blah blah blah nr 2". Selected that, then "hdmi" as the passthrough. Started up a movie, and tada! Working audio!

Sorry if it's not very specific; like I said, I'm trying to remember all I did last night. But I'm pretty sure I basically returned all the file edits back to their initial defaults. Other than unmuting the SPDIFs in alsamixer, it was all in the Sound settings in System Settings.

(Make sure you have the correct sound card selected in alsamixer)

Hope this helps at little.

Coog
Had the same issue here. After checking that SPDIF were unmutet the solution for me was:
go to /etc/pulse/default.pa
and add the line:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7
Using Zotac ID41 plus
If you are nor sure about the HW you can check it using this guide:
http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/...audio.html
Hope that helps
DaniB1980 Wrote:Had the same issue here. After checking that SPDIF were unmutet the solution for me was:
go to /etc/pulse/default.pa
and add the line:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7
Using Zotac ID41 plus
If you are nor sure about the HW you can check it using this guide:
http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/...audio.html
Hope that helps

I'm having this issue as well. From a blank Ubuntu 11.04 install how can one get HDMI audio working on the Zotac ID-41? Is the only mod needed to edit /etc/pulse/default.pa or is there a bit more to it?
Any luck resolving HDMI audio for the Zbox 41?
http://krautmaster.is-a-chef.com/wiki/in..._Solutions
Coul someone re-post the solution, the site is down Sad
Usually when someone has audio issues and Pulseaudio is involved the real problem is Pulseaudio. If not (the user is using ALSA) the problem is usually Ubuntu.
In this case - it is sadly nvidia

They announce their soundcard at plughw:0,3 but it is in reality at plughw:0,7 or even plughw:0,5 :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yeah that is kinda weird, but so do every other manufacturer (I have yet to see a system where aplay -l shows only a single HDMI device).
check with AMD :-) - this they did right.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HDMI Audio on Zotac Zbox0