Using old parts to make a new HTPC
Hey guys bit of a newbie here and hoping for a push in the right direction.

I have a old PC at home which I have had heaps of issues with that I was hoping to pull apart and convert into a HTPC.
I was hoping someone could help me decide which of my parts are still usable and and appropriate case to put them all into.

My current old desktop consists of the following:
- AMD AM3 x6 1090T 3.20Ghz Phenom II
- Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870 AM3 DDR3 Motherboard
- Patriot Gamer 4GB Kit(2Gx2) DDR3 1600 (For Intel 775pi n, AM3)
- G.Skill "Phoenix" 2.5" 60GB SATA2 SSD
- 2 x SATA Samsung 3.5" 1TB HDD
- HIS 1GB 5870 PCI-E VGA Card
- Coolermster RC-922M-KKNI HAF 922
- TP-LINK TL-WN951N PCI 3T3R 300M Wireless-N Network Card
- Microsoft MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
- SONY OEM SATA DVD Writer - 1 Year
- Coolermaster GX Power 750Watt PSU Power Supply

Basically I am looking to build a HTPC which will have WLAN, have XBMC contrrolled by a remote and play 3D movies flawlessly on my big TV!.

I am new to the whole building process so any help in that area would be great but I have been told that these days it isnt too hard.

I am looking for case suggestions, remote suggestions and if any of my others parts need to be upgraded!

Thanks in advance!!!
The hardware you have will be fine.

As remote I use the Hama MCE remote.

Because the HTPC Cases are in my oppinion to expensive I used an Lancool Dragonlord K-58.

regards
Case ss ml03b
Remote harmony one
Ir Philips MCE (eBay)
Thanks! I will look into all that, I think I do want a HTPC case though CaptainPsycho.

What are your thoughts on the Silverstone GD05 Black HTPC Case with USB 3.0? Is it worth the extra $$ over the ml03b suggested above?

Any of my other hardware items worth upgrading? Will it all fit inside one of these HTPC cases?

Cheers!
You need to change your PSU for a shorter in ml03b
(2012-11-15, 02:41)Unassailable Wrote: Basically I am looking to build a HTPC which will have WLAN, have XBMC contrrolled by a remote and play 3D movies flawlessly on my big TV!.
This is going to be unlikely unless there have been some major technological improvements I am not aware of.

I am more concerned about the 'heaps of issues' you report having. What are they? If this is unreliable as a desktop then it likely will continue to be unless you figure out what the problem is.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using old parts to make a new HTPC1