My new HTPC build
Thanks for your posts, guides, and direct suggestions. My remaining parts should arrive in two days Big Grin

CPU Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80623G620
$70 superbiiz.com

MB MSI H61M-E33 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
DDR3 800/1066/1333(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, USB 2.0, 1 PCI Express x16, 1 PCI Express x1, 1 PCI
$70 newegg.com $60 after $10 rebate

RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH 1.5V Cas Latency: 7 Timing: 7-7-7-21
42.50 newegg.com (50-7.50, 15% off promo code DM15JN11US)

Blue Ray Player SAMSUNG Black SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive (Retail) SH-B123L/RSBP with Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 software
$65 newegg.com

Power Supply CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
$45 newegg.com $35 after rebate
EDIT- PS changed 350W Cooler Master RS350-PSARI3-US ATX12V 2.3 purchased locally for $33+tax

SSD Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB SATA II 3GB/s 2.5" SV100S2/64GZ Sustained Sequential Read/Write up to 250/145 MB/s
$115 Amazon.com $70 after $45 rebate

GPU MSI N520GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce GT 520 (Fermi) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
$61Amazon.com

CASE SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / 0.8mm SECC Grandia Series GD05B 3x120mm golf bladed fan, 11" expansion card capable HTPC Case
$90 Amazon.com

TV Tuner CardHauppauge 1196 WinTV-HVR-1250 PCI-E x1 TV Tuner TV Tuners 1196
$50 Amazon.com

OS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade
$110 Amazon.com

HP IR Receiver HP Media Center Remote Control USB Receiver for Windows Emitter/transmitter/receiver/transceiver USB device (HP P/N: 5188-1667), IR Remote Control (HP P/N: 5069-8344 ), HP bundle P/N: 5187-4592
$24 eBay

Universal Remote Logitech Harmony 600 Advanced Universal Remote Control
$60 eBay

UPS APC Back-UPS ES BE550G 550 VA 330 Watts (4) NEMA 5-15R (Battery Backup) (4) NEMA 5-15R (Surge Protection)
$45+tax at my local Costco ($65 newegg)

Edit 3/29/2011: Picked up Logitech wireless combo MK320 keyboard and mouse for $35 at WalMart. Plugged the RF dongle into the back USB port and it works great.
Awesome system, please put up some pics!!!

I confirm the case is an awesome choice (I own one).

If you have an hifi stack, it will fit perfectly.

By the way, I would advise a small mod to this case, if you want to have a built-in IR receiver:

The electronic board in the Antec Veris Basic fits perfectly to the USB and mic/headphones front panel fixation points.

In my case I took the front panel out and replaced it with the Veris board. IR functions perfectly.

Next step, with some soldering (to offset the IR receiver) and sacrificing either the mic or headphones jack, you could have both the front panel and the veris card stacked.
Great Suggestion on the Built in IR! I might do it if not for the fact this case will sit low beneath the TV. Below my A/V reciever even. The coffee table, feet etc. might block the signal Huh
Gurney Wrote:The electronic board in the Antec Veris Basic fits perfectly to the USB and mic/headphones front panel fixation points.

In my case I took the front panel out and replaced it with the Veris board. IR functions perfectly.

Next step, with some soldering (to offset the IR receiver) and sacrificing either the mic or headphones jack, you could have both the front panel and the veris card stacked.

Would like to see some pic's of this - what you did and such Nod
Here you go, some crappy pics.

Front board
Antec Veris board installed
Front panel

So as I mentionned, I just took out the electronic board from the Antec Veris Basic, removed the front panel board and fixed (with the same screws) the Veris board onto it.

That's the simplest mod ever. I was lucky the space between the fixations holes were the same on the case and on the IR board!

The next steps:
- remove the mic input from the front panel board.
- bend and solder a new IR receiver (or the same with extensions) so that it takes the available room
- assemble both boards on the case.
Thanks for the pics, I will look into that later Wink

Did you have any difficulty getting the top back on the case after assembly? It seems like the slot/clip or whatever over the DVD drive does not have enough room for it to fit? No Angry

Other than that, the case was a pleasure to assemble the build into. I was quite surprised! Small form factor yet MUCH easier than full ATX tower assembly. Perhaps desktop (horizontal) cases should make a comeback?
I have the 3 120mm fans running 100% and they don't make a sound.
Sorry Ouatatouch0, I'm not sure of what you mean. The mod is not anywhere close from the DVD drive.

By the way, why didn't you consider a passive power supply? (I'd like to buy a passive, modular one from Seasonic).
Gurney Wrote:Sorry Ouatatouch0, I'm not sure of what you mean. The mod is not anywhere close from the DVD drive.
I wasn't refering to the mod. I had trouble getting the top of the case to fit back on once assembly and testing was complete. It seemed to not want to slide in place. Had to do some bending on the case and the top to get it to fit over the DVD drive. Just wondered if you had the same issue?

Gurney Wrote:By the way, why didn't you consider a passive power supply? (I'd like to buy a passive, modular one from Seasonic).
It was a good deal on a good power supply so I grabbed it.
My desktop has a Corsair modular and they are nice. Great having extra wires in the drawer instead of the case!
Powerful HTPC Smile congratz!
Thanks,
I finished installing Win7 and all my personalization tweeks etc.
Just installed XBMC and navigated around in it a bit. Guess now I head to some of the other forums to get it set up from here. I've got sabnzbd on my desktop and news server account/index service setup... (leaving the torrent world)
On my list of things to learn how to do:
- configure XBMC for my setup/equipment
- setup harmony remote
- setup sabnzbd on XBMC w sick beard and couch potato
- setup the libraries properly on my NAS to work best with XBMC
- setup the scrapers
- whatever I am forgetting Confused
- whatever else comes up along the way Eek

Any help with this to do list, pointers, or links to threads I need to read next are appreciated Nod

Thanks
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
no pics yet? Tongue
Thanks for sharing this info. I've been thinking of building a very similar HTPC and came to the decision of basing on the same Intel G620 Sandy Bridge. Still one concern however: I plan using this HTPC also as a computer for long and lazy Skype talks, so the question is - would this configuration be enough for high quality video talk? I mean that while processing video signal from camera, Skype loads processor dramatically, and, for instance, standard nettops can not cope with it and they cut down video quality significantly. What about your configuration? Have you ever tried it with Skype and good web camera (e.g. like Logitech C525)? Thank you.
G620 + Skype = No problems at all,,,,
Yeah bro, share! Post some pictures Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My new HTPC build0