Assembling the parts!
So I got the parts for my new HTPC. In my typical desktop the motherboard is the first you install. Is that still the case with mini ITX boards?

FYI I got the MI-008 case.

Thanks!
place the RAM on the motherboard first,
then, place the motherboard in the case!
eskro Wrote:place the RAM on the motherboard first,
then, place the motherboard in the case!

And install the CPU on to motherboard once it is screwed into case?
I often install the cpu and cooler on the mainboard outside the case. After that I mount it in the case.

Sometimes it is just to tight to get your hands around the cooler to install it when you need to install it when the mainboard is already in the case. But maybe that is better with nowadays coolers. Anyway, I've grown accustomed to it, so I always install the mainboard with the cpu and cooler already on it. I even lift the complete mainboard by just grabbing the cooler sometimes!

Regarding the RAM, as mentioned by eskro, I only install it on the mainboard, before installing the mainboard itself, when the cooler hovers above the ram! (read: *if* you can only install ram before installing the cooler, or else you won't have access to the DDR slots anymore).

If the cooler does not interfere, I always install ram after the mainboard is screwed into the case.
yes sorry, i thought you had the Zacate E350 motherboard...

in this case, before placing the board in the case,

install the RAM + CPU + HeatSkinFAN
Ugh.. having difficulty with the CPU fan...

when I push down one corner and turn it clicks, but another edge comes loose... I can't get all 4 to be pushed down and locked in... :S

Any help!? Sad
How To Install A CPU + Fan (Socket LGA 775)
okay whoa - new problem

there is basically NO space between the heatsink fan and the PSU...

I basically have to "tilt the psu unit up" to slide the mobo underneath. And about 50% of the heatsink fan goes straight into wall - underside of the PSU... :S:S
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Ugh.. having difficulty with the CPU fan...

when I push down one corner and turn it clicks, but another edge comes loose... I can't get all 4 to be pushed down and locked in... :S

Any help!? Sad

Tell me about it.
When I changed my current fan (just for the sake of having a "better" one) for a Scythe one it would not stay fixed as I attached all the pins.
What was supposed to to take me 5 mins took more than an hour. It had screwdriver slots that can't be accessed by a bloody screwdriver too!

I won't be doing any changing to my HTPC in the future unless I really need to.
Hiya,.

Did you release the pins on the cooler before installing??

Sometimes they are locked in placed prior to install!! Check for neutral position. And remember to push evenly and firmly when re installing.
installing the CPU cooler is an all around well known pain in the rear Confused

I just put mine together yesterday (not my first build by any means) and it hasn't become any better yet. I thought I had it in correctly on the first try...
By experience I know to check this carefully. Lift the whole computer by the CPU cooler (carefully). Sure enough it popped off on me Huh
Oo
Stare
No

Its just one of the key things we have to take our time with during assembly to make sure it gets on there correctly. Once it is done, never remove it unless you have a really darn good reason for doing so Wink
For periodic cleaning (dust removal) use those air spay cans instead of trying to take it out to vacuum or whatever.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Assembling the parts!0