• 10(current)
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build
T800 Wrote:I used this guide, it explains how to install unmenu:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/05/...to-unraid/

In the guide you linked above, the author cautions against using green drives for a couple of reasons listed in the article below:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/12/...me-server/

The article involves Windows Home Server, but would any of these issues also apply to unRAID? Specifically the parts about Intellipark and adjusting the jumpers.
Intellipark should be disabled, yes indeed, I know nothing about the jumper settings, however my guess is that it won't be required...
Given the proliferation of SATA 3 drives on the market is there much value in picking a motherboard that will support these? If I look at the potential incremental costs:

The WD 2TB Green SATA3 drives are $10 more than SATA2
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard is $95 instead of $80
SYBA SY-PEX40032 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card are $33 instead of $15.

This strikes me as minimal additional investment, but I want to make sure there is enough value to justify.

Also, I don't know if I picked a recommended motherboard (it *looks* similar to the orignial recommendation, but I am not 100%). Lastly, I don't know if there are any compatability issues with this solution.

Any thoughts?
Would this set up be acceptable?

Generic case with 420W psu
Gigabyte GA-D525TUD Intel Atom D525 mATX
2GB DDR3
2x2TB Hitachi SATA (already owned)
1x1TB Hitachi SATA (already owned)
450W Corsair PSU (to replace the included budget PSU)

Total cost (excluding HDD): £135
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
well, even if budget PSU is 420W, i'd use it and see how things go,,,,

now, trick is to get a unRAID compatible motherboard,,,

be-careful with your LAN chipset...

check on limetech website for a wiki where they list some know compatible motherboards,,,
Now how many watts do you think this 10hdd unRAID server would use running 24/7..

I prob would only use 4-6 HDDS but I like wiggle room Smile

Would this suck up a lot of power making power bill go up?
one of the advantages of using unRAID is,
it Allows drives to spin down if they are not being accessed,
saving power and possible prolonging their life!!
toymachine2009 Wrote:Now how many watts do you think this 10hdd unRAID server would use running 24/7..

I prob would only use 4-6 HDDS but I like wiggle room Smile

Would this suck up a lot of power making power bill go up?

I was able to find this about the WD 2tb Green Caviar drives

Power Dissipation
Read/Write 6.00 Watts
Idle 3.7 Watts
Standby 0.80 Watts
Sleep 0.80 Watts

I don't think it will be a problem, even if you had 20 drives doing read rights for hours at a time, it would only equal out to 120w. And since unraid can spin down the drives it will use very little power.
The recommended power supply has a $20 mail in rebate that ends today. Just ordered one.
The recommended case (Antec Three Hundred Illusion) is $45 shipped with coupon code until 9/28. See OP's post for link to item with coupon code listed. Just ordered one.
jason.shaffer Wrote:The Antec Three Hundred Illusion is $45 shipped with coupon code until 9/28

THats incredible O.O
jason.shaffer Wrote:The recommended case (Antec Three Hundred Illusion) is $45 shipped with coupon code until 9/28. See OP's post for link to item with coupon code listed. Just ordered one.

Tempting .... very tempting.... Big Grin
Beer40oz Wrote:Tempting .... very tempting.... Big Grin

buy your SEMPRON 145 first Beer40onze Tongue
Wouldn't the Sempron 130 be ok for this build?

edit: nevermind... heatsink and fan included with 145 but not 130.
well, probably, if you dont use addons such as SICKbeard or COuchPotato & SAB,,,,
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Entry-Level unRAID Server Build1