• 11(current)
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?
hmm,,, i wonder if it will saturate the bandwith having for drives hooked to a PCI-Express x1 slot...
making things slower...
(2013-01-07, 00:29)outatouch0 Wrote: Question: why is it not better to start with a MB with more SATA plugs instead of one with 2-4 and then adding cards to the board. It looks like the 4 SATA plug card is $100 by itself.
I don't undestand the benefit of this over starting with a MB with 6-8 SATA's on it instead?
thanks

Personally, I only use 4 from the onboard controller. The other 4 use a chipset that I hate (jmicron). As for a 4 port card, $100 is a bit off, the SYBA is only $60.
For information - as I found this list useful for ideas for my own server - The best case i found in the uk for a 12 disk server was the sharkoon t9 - economy model - with 9 * 5.25in. bays. (Economy model as it has no built in fans)
Looking to build a server to run my movies off- Will be running a pivos xios probably.

Its been nearly 10 years since i last built a computer so massviley out of the picture.

Looking to cheat and use a scan package

System Case
CiT Shadow Black Mid Tower Case with 500W PSU [£19.44]

Motherboard
MSI H61M-P25 (B3), Intel H61 Chipset [£27.61]

CPU
Intel Celeron Dual Core G540, 2.5GHz, 2MB Cache [£26.54]

Memory - DDR3
4GB(2x2GB) Corsair DDR3-1333Mhz(£20.13)

Is this any good
You may want to ask in the unRAID forums about the mobo as it's not one I'm familiar with. If the system has onboard video that's good - unRAID seldom uses it so onboard is perfect and saves a slot. you won't need as much as 4Gig of memory unless you plan to run a bunch of add-on stuff. That Celeron will work fine, it doesn't take much CPU at all. If possible you want a gigabit Ethernet. unRAID isn't as fast as RAID systems that feed data from multiple drives to service a request but it can saturate a 100meg NIC so having Gig-E is a good thing.

Hope that helps!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
HMMM I was giving a new asus M4A78 plus MB and was wondering if this board would be a decent start for an unraid server, i do not have a cpu for this board but any recommendations on the minimum chip to run unraid with a couple of plugins maybe or is the board even worth hooking up??

I have 8 various drives of different sizes and types and I just want to mesh them all together for my movies
Hi there,

this is my first unRAID build. It is not very cheap.
As a HW noob I need your feedback:

Will this be worth the money to run unRAID + SABNZBD + Couchpotato + Sickbeard + Headphones + MySQL?
(I already do have a Synology DS212+, but the CPU is too slow for such a full SAB-Suite)

Now here comes the parts (plus HDDs and mounting frames): Prices Amazon.de (except for RAM)

Sharkoon T9 Value Green PC-Gehäuse ATX Midi Tower EUR 61,49
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2EU Netzteil (650 W) EUR 81,89
Supermicro MBD-X9SCL-F-O Dual-Sockel 1155 Mainboard (PCI-e, micro ATX, Intel Core i3, DDR3 Speicher, SATA, USB 2.0) EUR 159,60
INTEL CORE i3-2120 3,30MHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Desktop CPU Boxed EUR 103,95
Integral - Memory - 8GB - DIMM 240-PIN - DDR31333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 registriert - ECC (IN3T8GRZBIX4) 42 EUR

Thanks for caring,
JC
(2013-03-05, 17:26)jus7incase Wrote: Hi there,

Will this be worth the money to run unRAID + SABNZBD + Couchpotato + Sickbeard + Headphones + MySQL?
(I already do have a Synology DS212+, but the CPU is too slow for such a full SAB-Suite)

Now here comes the parts (plus HDDs and mounting frames): Prices Amazon.de (except for RAM)

Supermicro MBD-X9SCL-F-O Dual-Sockel 1155 Mainboard (PCI-e, micro ATX, Intel Core i3, DDR3 Speicher, SATA, USB 2.0) EUR 159,60
INTEL CORE i3-2120 3,30MHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Desktop CPU Boxed EUR 103,95
Integral - Memory - 8GB - DIMM 240-PIN - DDR31333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 registriert - ECC (IN3T8GRZBIX4) 42 EUR

Thanks for caring,
JC

You might find my build interesting. My Unraid Build
I was going down the same road with an i3 but went with this build instead, I am running the latest Unraid RC 11 with Plex media server, sickbeard, couchpotato, mysql, SABnzbd, Newznab and other plugins all working sweet with no problems at all.
this may be a bit off the beaten track for this discussion but i was thinking (oh , oh) i would very much like to put an unraid server in a storage cupboard i have here.

fairly standard stuff so far, lol. but i also want a hardware firewall and was wondering whether there was any way of combining the two things in a single case.
(2013-03-05, 17:26)jus7incase Wrote: Hi there,

Thanks for caring,
JC

For my money, running all those apps, I'd consider maybe FlexRAID or something that can run inside a Linux server build - I went with unRAID at first but found trying to shoehorn in the apps a bit of a chore. Ironically, I found it easier doing it on a Ubuntu Server OS with practically no Linux CLI knowledge than I did on unRAID. I'd say for pure storage, unRAID is great, but if you want more flexibility with the functions a server and the programs you mention can provide then consider FlexRAID or one of the other RAID solutions that run inside the OS rather than instead of it. If any of that make sense...

Of course, if you're more tech savvy than I am then by all means go with unRAID! Clearly plenty of other people have had more luck. But I found it a bit tricky...
CPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 2.40GHz APU - MoBo: Gigabyte A75N-USB3 AMD A75 - RAM: Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz - Storage: 128GB SSD, 500GB HD - Case: Streacom FC7 Silver - ODD: Sony AD-7640S Slot Load DVD+RW Drive
I personally don't like adding a ton of things to unRAID although plugins are pretty handy. This is a critical piece for my network - it stores all of my important media! Adding things that can conflict, crash, require permission tweaks, and can stretch my troubleshooting knowledge if it goes toes up isn't something I want on my storage device.

YMMV but that's my feelings. That doesn't I don't want those tools though! What I did was setup an ESX server for unRAID and all of those things plus more - a little crazy. What you could do is run those things in a VirtualBox VM maybe or VMplayer. Look here for an EASY way to do that -> http://aceshome.com/forums/index.php?board=4.0

Anyway, with any storage setup I think I'd crawl then walk then run.... <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Just thought I'd post here how happy I am with my UNraid box now that I've added a cache drive and enabled jumbo frames.

I have been converting my Blurays iso files to .mkv using makemkv and writing directlly to UNraid. It would take me about 45-50 min and it would cause problems with streaming to the XBMC so I could only do it when the XBMC wasn't in use.

Well I got sick of it so I enabled jumbo frames on my network and added a cache drive. I had been getting 35-45 MB/s and now I'm hitting 90+MB/s It takes me around 10-12 min to now convert a bluray and of course streaming is uninterrupted.
XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM
Just getting into the unRAID server system for my XBMC setup, and am looking for some help with a MOBO. All the suggested MOBOs appear to be discontinued. Can someone point me to a descent mid range selection? I am really new to this and would appreciate any good pointers in this regard.
(2013-03-21, 15:13)Yukonhijack Wrote: Just getting into the unRAID server system for my XBMC setup, and am looking for some help with a MOBO. All the suggested MOBOs appear to be discontinued. Can someone point me to a descent mid range selection? I am really new to this and would appreciate any good pointers in this regard.

ASROCK 880GM-LE FX is a decent one, with 6 SATA 3Gb/s ports.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE%20...ifications
(2013-03-21, 15:17)ICDeadPpl Wrote:
(2013-03-21, 15:13)Yukonhijack Wrote: Just getting into the unRAID server system for my XBMC setup, and am looking for some help with a MOBO. All the suggested MOBOs appear to be discontinued. Can someone point me to a descent mid range selection? I am really new to this and would appreciate any good pointers in this regard.

ASROCK 880GM-LE FX is a decent one, with 6 SATA 3Gb/s ports.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE%20...ifications

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations in the micro ITX form factor? I am looking to keep things smallish (for the wife factor you know).
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?18