• 15(current)
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?
What software is being run on most on their unRAID servers?

I'm building a unRAID rackmount server. Getting hung up on the installation of tvheadend and not getting many suggestions on the unRAID or tvheadend forums. So, i'm wondering if tvheadend is the best software to get live tv on the server to pass along to the front ends.

I was going to use unRAID + tvheadend + plexserver on the server. I was going to use XBMC on the front ends.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, expecially since I'm really new to grasping the "total methodology".

thanks,
Jay
Have a look at this tutorial that seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

http://mymediaexperience.com/unraid-nas-...tvheadend/
DEBUG log: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy
HTPC advice: http://mymediaexperience.com , http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-bui...lete-guide
My HTPC: an Acer Revo RL80 Nettop PC:
Windows 10
Intel Core-i3-2377M @ 1.5GHz, 4GB DDR3 @ 665MHz, Intel HD3000
465GB SATA disk, DVD-RW, 1.8TB Seagate USB disk

That's funny! That article is how I found out about unRAID. It is a really written tutorial so if I decide to stay on the same path and get my bugs worked out, I will surely use it.

I followed it to install unRAID. When I installed tvheadend the system lost connection to the network since the NIC driver won't load. I've been trying to troubleshoot it on other forums but no luck so far.
hey guys, do you think that a combination of the 10 HDD UnRaid server and the option 5 of the basic build for the HPTC would be make a good steambox, media center. if not can you recommend a build for me. i'm just getting into HTPC and NAS.

Thanks
I'm currently using an Asustor AS-204T NAS unit to serve my XBMC clients, but the tinkerer in me wants to run a 'proper' server again.

I was thinking unRAID might be the solution.

Anyone used the low-end AMD APUs with unRAID? I have an Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE which is an E2-2000, which I'll put in my ancient old Lian-Li PC-Q25B. I'm planning on running a pair of 4TB Seagate Desktop.15 drives. I also have an Asus H87-I board with a Pentium G3220 which I feel is probably severe overkill for unRAID.

What sort of RAM would I likely need running unRAID with Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, a torrent program, and MySQL? 4GB? 16GB?

Any general advice would be appreciated.
I see unRAID is i386 only (on V5), so 4GB it is...
I use 16 gig mem on my build which is over kill but server runs smooth. I also am running the 5.06 version of UNRAID.

(2014-03-17, 22:21)marlonken Wrote: hey guys, do you think that a combination of the 10 HDD UnRaid server and the option 5 of the basic build for the HPTC would be make a good steambox, media center. if not can you recommend a build for me. i'm just getting into HTPC and NAS.

Thanks

I think some good builds are on the limetech forum for UNRAID, but you could use the same board I have in my build and build around your needs. I just up graded my cpu to an i5 for the trans coding of Plex running on the server.

For HTPC plenty of builds on the forum here. Not sure about the hardware requirements for a steam box but if don't want the ultimate picture quality for games you could probably get away with a lower priced build in the forum.
Maybe someone here knows but does anyone know of a script that you can have transmission run after a completed torrent that will autoextract the rar files from a torrent to a different folder? All within an unraid server.

Found one on the unraid forum but can't get it to work and it is pretty old.
I don't use torrents or transmission but have you tried sickbeard for your torrent search and then have SABnzbd do the unrar and moving?
Anyone using sickbeard TPB or sickrage on Unraid6?

Whats the best way to set it up:? I have seen info on 5 but am wary about this on a 6 installation
I run sickb and sab in an ubuntu vm with xen on unraid 6. But many people these days are using them in docker containers
So now that my movie, music, and photo library is getting pretty large and now worried I should build something for back up and unraid looks like the easiest to use. I have a few questions about what I should get to start with. Right now I have a 2tb drive that runs windows 7 and has my music and photos stored on it. I also have a 6 tab drive with about 4tb's of movies and tv on it. And last I have a 1tb drive because the guy at micro city said it would be enough for what I needed, boy was he wrong. SO as far as all my movies , music, and photos I have around 5 tb's total. I know that when you add a drive to unraid it wipes it clean to be used. So my question is how many drives shoul I start with, do I need two or three drives? One parity and one or two data drives? My other question is I've seen a few YouTube videos mention that the parity drive should be the largest drive. I have the 6tb drive that has my movies and TV stored on it. Can I get another 6tb drive or should I get an 8tb drive for my parity drive?
I hope this makes sense what I'm asking since this will be my first time doing this.
I haven't checked prices but when helped a friend setup an unRAID server a couple months ago we went with 4TB drives since they seemed to be the best combination of size and affordability at the time.

Whatever you do, sounds like you could get away with 1 drive for now. For example, if you bought a 6TB drive, set it up as the data drive, copy your 4TB of data to the data drive from your existing 6TB drive. Then install your 6TB drive and set it as parity. Then you can copy the data from the 1TB drive to the server and then install the 1TB drive as an additional data drive on your array. That would give you 7TB of parity protected space on the array plus the ability to add additional drives up to 6TB in size to the array.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

That's nice to hear. I was afraid to start I would need a 6TB drive for parity plus another for data. Then transfer the data over so I could install the drives I have now.
(2015-06-11, 14:57)Tatts4Life Wrote: That's nice to hear. I was afraid to start I would need a 6TB drive for parity plus another for data. Then transfer the data over so I could install the drives I have now.

If running Unraid server, it is best to preclear the drives before adding to array. Then add one for parity and the other for data. Transfer existing data to new data drive over network and the preclear the old data drive and add it to array. I have found this method to be highly reliable for years of running 24/7.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?18