• 9(current)
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?
Anyone played around with these cases?

http://www.servercase.com/Merchant2/merc...vel+Server

No bling but it's the cheapest 12 5.25" drive bay case I found.
Too bad they don't have more pictures,..especially for the inside of the case.
In my opinion,..if I was in the market for a similar case, I'd probably shy away from this site.
Can't explain why,..other than a gut feeling.
Anybody looking to build one of these soon? I was wanting to purchase a pro registration key in a 2 pack but just wanted to see if any friends wanted to join along and save some money. Please PM me!
This question might be a stupid one, but I was thinking about building an UnRAID server without a case, because it's supposed to be located somewhere in a storage room or similar where it doesn't have to look pretty. It would reduce costs and maybe improve cooling. Only concern that came to my mind was dust.

So is that a complete stupid idea, or would it make sense to just take the pure hardware and connect it with cables etc. and then put it somewhere on a shelf or self made rack or something?
(2012-08-21, 06:49)jaochoo Wrote: This question might be a stupid one, but I was thinking about building an UnRAID server without a case, because it's supposed to be located somewhere in a storage room or similar where it doesn't have to look pretty. It would reduce costs and maybe improve cooling. Only concern that came to my mind was dust.

So is that a complete stupid idea, or would it make sense to just take the pure hardware and connect it with cables etc. and then put it somewhere on a shelf or self made rack or something?

I have a few buds that have built Desktop PCs without an actual or traditional case. As long as your location/environment for the system is suitable, and you don't mind a few of the headaches associated with not using a case, then it's perfectly legit. A well designed case will improve cooling over a no case setup, and dust is going to get on the components regardless. You have to deal with the power switch dilemma, but that is overcome pretty easily. If you have it stashed away from pets and people and of course moisture, then I see no reason not to give it a go.

(2012-06-21, 17:37)KraziJoe Wrote: Ok, stupid question...Does anyone know if the 880GM-LE FX will support 3TB drives using UnRaid? I see there is an unlock utility but it's windows based and not sure how one would get it to work with UnRaid.
If not I think I have some returns to send back to Amazon.

880GM-LE FX so does it support 3TB?
I need to buy a new mother board.... (for a friend)

I have the old 880GM-LE non-FX model in my rig now with no problems and has anyone tried this non-FX model with 3TB? It would be great if I can use 3TB on mine.
(2012-08-30, 15:13)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-06-21, 17:37)KraziJoe Wrote: Ok, stupid question...Does anyone know if the 880GM-LE FX will support 3TB drives using UnRaid? I see there is an unlock utility but it's windows based and not sure how one would get it to work with UnRaid.

I have the old 880GM-LE non-FX model in my rig now with no problems and has anyone tried this non-FX model with 3TB? It would be great if I can use 3TB on mine.

Works like a charm...
(2012-08-30, 22:47)KraziJoe Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 15:13)Beer40oz Wrote:

Works like a charm...

Nice to know... thank you. I will buy a 880GM-LE FX....

Now I guess the only way to find out if it will work on a 880GM-LE witch I have is to attach a 3TB HD and in bios see if it picks it up.... unless someone here for sure knows. I can't seem to find anyone using 3TB on my board.... i will keep digging....
(2012-09-01, 17:47)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 22:47)KraziJoe Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 15:13)Beer40oz Wrote: 880GM-LE FX so does it support 3TB?

Works like a charm...

Now I guess the only way to find out if it will work on a 880GM-LE witch I have is to attach a 3TB HD and in bios see if it picks it up.... unless someone here for sure knows. I can't seem to find anyone using 3TB on my board.... i will keep digging....

In the downloads section of ASRock's website for that motherboard, there's a mention of a "ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.0" for Windows 7:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE/?c...ad&os=Win7
Maybe it means it has support for 3TB drives, but Win7 needs some kind of patch to utllize those?
(2012-09-05, 01:09)ICDeadPpl Wrote:
(2012-09-01, 17:47)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 22:47)KraziJoe Wrote: Works like a charm...

In the downloads section of ASRock's website for that motherboard, there's a mention of a "ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.0" for Windows 7:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE/?c...ad&os=Win7
Maybe it means it has support for 3TB drives, but Win7 needs some kind of patch to utllize those?

You are right... it may be that it will work just fine with 3TB.... and windows needs that patch. But for the server it does not since it's using linux.... even the 880GM-LE FX has the same patch on the software downloads and it has been confirmed by KraziJoe that 3TB works for that board....

For a fact I know a lot of people have the 880GM-LE someone must of already tried....
I replied to this post here.... http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...c=17244.15

Hope someone confirms....
(2012-08-21, 06:49)jaochoo Wrote: This question might be a stupid one, but I was thinking about building an UnRAID server without a case, because it's supposed to be located somewhere in a storage room or similar where it doesn't have to look pretty. It would reduce costs and maybe improve cooling. Only concern that came to my mind was dust.

Would love to see what you end up doing/building.
We'd all learn something,..so post pictures.

I've seen some pretty crazy custom cases.
One build out of a cardboard box that originally was the box an Antec Illusion case came in.
I've also seen a case made entirely of plexiglass.

Is there any reason these would not work for a Windows Server 2012 setup? Thanks.
(2012-09-26, 18:21)donuts Wrote: Is there any reason these would not work for a Windows Server 2012 setup? Thanks.

Can you elaborate?
I honestly don't know why I asked that. The hardware doesn't meet the recommended requirements anyway.
What I want to accomplish:
Ability to serve media to atleast 5 locations in the house over gigabit and wifi
Run Plugins - Minimal sickbeard,sabnzbd,mysql, others suggested?
Have the usb pluged in internally (children roaming around)
Extremely quiet.
Power efficient.
Start with 3x3TB no need in my head to go over 10x3TB
Look nice in the living room.

Looking for suggestions on improvements, and if I should spend more to improve something please let me know.

CASE: Fractal Designs Define R4 - $109
MOBO :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157326 $59 (cheapest I could find with 6 Sata Ports)
CPU : G540 (would I benefit with going with something more powerful?) - $49
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1333-1600 - ~$35
PSU - CX-500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817139027 - $29.99 after rebate

Total - $282 after rebates

Please let me know what I should change and/or look for! Thanks!
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?18