• 4(current)
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?
Bandelguy, Yes FreeNAS can do Raid 5/Raid Z
bandelguy Wrote:Can FreeNAS create parity drive and other things which unRAID can do? Is there any free alternative to full version of unRAID?

The issue I have with FreeNAS is that you have to add drives in sets of 3 or more.
Living Room Media Center/Server: Win7x64, ~6TB of space, SABnzbd+, SickBeard, MySQL, 32" LCD Vizio Internet TV, XBMC Nightly as of probably a month ago.

Bed Room Media Center: Mac OS X 10.6, 24" iMac Core2Duo
Big Grin 
does anybody know if this MB and Flash good for unRaid ?
I am planning my first build here for Media NAS.

I only have 2 1T drives with files , so will be getting 2x2T HD one for Data and one for Parity, once built will move all my stuff to new 2T HD and add both of my old 1T as Data.

my Hardware list so far

1. AZZA Solano 1000R Black / Red Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811517006

2. 2x2T Seagate drives
3. 890FX Deluxe5 Socket AM3+ 890FX ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0367876

4 Emtec International S100 Micro Series 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black EKMMD8GS100

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0352699

any and all input/critiques are appreciated

NodRoflRolleyes
vl1969 Wrote:3. 890FX Deluxe5 Socket AM3+ 890FX ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0367876

LAN Chipset = Realtek 8111E = not good for unRAID

working motherboards are listed in my Server guide... stick to them,,,
what looks interesting in this MB is
#1 SATA 6Gb/s 8

#2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 3
PCI Express x1 2
PCI 2

plus I am thinking of running VMServer at a later time and this MB supports 32 GB RAM

eskro Wrote:LAN Chipset = Realtek 8111E = not good for unRAID

working motherboards are listed in my Server guide... stick to them,,,
vl1969, if your willing to loose a PCI slot,
you can always add this card here
[NIC] Intel PWLA8391GT 1000Mbps PCI ($30 + $0)
and then you could safely use that motherboard...
Yes I am willing to loose PCI slot as a trade for better capable MB
besides who uses PCI today :-)

eskro Wrote:vl1969, if your willing to loose a PCI slot,
you can always add this card here
[NIC] Intel PWLA8391GT 1000Mbps PCI ($30 + $0)
and then you could safely use that motherboard...
PCI is needed for unraid as you can buy a pci sata card
Adaptec ASH-1205SA 2-Internal SATA-II Ports PCI Card ($7 + $6)
which allows you to add 2 more drives to your array
Hello,

I am looking for an XBMC capable booksize barebone system with component video and optical audio output. I do not have HDMI support in my entertainment setup.

I have been searching for booksize barebone system ever since my HTPC died on me and I decided to go small.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
kiboko Wrote:Hello,

I am looking for an XBMC capable booksize barebone system with component video and optical audio output. I do not have HDMI support in my entertainment setup.

I have been searching for booksize barebone system ever since my HTPC died on me and I decided to go small.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Hi kiboko,

I think you're in a wrong thread. This is an unRaid server thread. You might want to look and ask in this thread about building a htpc guide or start a new thread for your specific questions and needs here.

I'm not really sure if there's a booksize/nettop out there that has component video out (i might be mistaken though).
Thank you eskro,

I have an unraid server thanks to your thread. I was not even aware of unraid. Smile
Songoku Wrote:Thank you eskro,

I have an unraid server thanks to your thread. I was not even aware of unraid. Smile

good job!!
Hi all - I currently have two 2TB externals and a 1TB, and find myself very short on space. After reading around unRAID seems to be a solid bet, but I have a few problems. The first is that I've never actually built a PC before (although I am pretty tech savvy and think I should be able to do it easily enough). The second is that I live in the UK and every parts list or recommendation I find seems to only be available in the US. Thirdly, I'm a student, and never have too much money at any time - I have often planned to buy parts in the past but have found them discontinued over here by the time I have the money! My biggest problem I think is that I don't know too much about unRAID and computer hardware, and I'm not sure where to start. If anyone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. I'm hoping to have an unRAID PC built by January or February next year, which is about the time I think I'll run out of my current space. So I'm all ears if anyone has some advice! Big Grin
Hey eskro,
Can these builds run SAB/CP/SB ?
Or would I need a more powerful CPU for that?
speedemonV12 Wrote:Hey eskro,
Can these builds run SAB/CP/SB ?
Or would I need a more powerful CPU for that?

Yes, It can run SAB/CP/SB. I'm using the same CPU (AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz) on my UnRaid box running SAB/CP/SB with 1x2GB ram
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?18