effective moderation on forums
Thumbs Up 
Ive see it happen, just because for e.g. refuses to serve as a slave to people who can be harsed to make a contribution get the hump.

Therefore in every other topic or thread or post they find a way to stick offensive, false, and downright provocative comments mixed with colourful wildly inappropriate language ..

There is no visible moderation which is impartial and unbiased, in fact even a mod has been known to taken a stab.

If this is the way these forums are managed I dare challenge that definition at risk of serving up as a bullseye for these kind of unsavoury characters.

Its time forum rules are enforced.
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Which rules do you feel we should be enforcing more (or less?)

As far as I'm concerned, the less rules we have the better - most folk are civilized enough to not require them, and the few that aren't tend to be ignored for the most part. I'm happy to look over them if folk feel as though they're not being implemented or are silly for some other reasons.

By definition, moderation cannot possibly be impartial or unbiased, as mods are making the decision as to whether or not they should intervene, and each one is different.

Sometimes mods screw up, sometimes they miss stuff that should be moderated, sometimes they moderate stuff that shouldn't be, and as different mods are responsible for different areas, sometimes it's inconsistent.

If you don't like a particular posters attitude for whatever reason, then ignore them. If you feel they're breaching "rules" then feel free to let a mod know - but don't expect them to agree with you necessarily - everyone reacts differently.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

We and you are humans. As jmarahall say report it and the reaction might be agreed upon. Best view ever from mass effect (perhaps wom philisopher originally) "with 3 humans in a room you have 6 oppinions". The less rules we have the better and the more people ignore inappropriate (dont feed the troll) the better
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I don't disagree, In fact I agree no one is perfect, most of all me, however someone should edit out posts that have been reported via the forums or at least look at them and do something about it, doesn't have to be drastic, just remove out of topic provocative stuff something innocuous and leave it. I'm sure weeding out any comments that are set to provoke a flamewar irrespective if they get ignored or not will get the message across.

Im sure everyone has a bad day here and there. having said that, please refer to my first paragraph on this post.

@jmarshall this is what I think should be more enforced.

FAQ Wrote:You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin-board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin-board.

all of the bolded stuff I seen directed at me or at other always by various members of these forums...

thanks for both replies.
Not sure what editing anyone's posts is going to do, bar removing public history of the comment and thus limiting peoples' abilities to do some forum-search research on a certain poster to get a bigger picture about said person. I personally never edit other people's comments, as long as they aren't drastic - racism would be a good example. There'll always be conflicts between people and I am not going to partake in each and everyone of them on the forums here - stay calm and ignore the annoying people.
X3lectric Wrote:Ive see it happen, just because for e.g. refuses to serve as a slave to people who can be harsed to make a contribution get the hump.

Therefore in every other topic or thread or post they find a way to stick offensive, false, and downright provocative comments mixed with colourful wildly inappropriate language ..

There is no visible moderation which is impartial and unbiased, in fact even a mod has been known to taken a stab.

If this is the way these forums are managed I dare challenge that definition at risk of serving up as a bullseye for these kind of unsavoury characters.

Its time forum rules are enforced.

Talk about hypocritical. You're over sensitive and rude yourself.

LOL.....But you seem to be in favor of hiding behind what you think to be anonymous rude and offensive feedback. LOL...... OMG this is funny. Who got your panties in a bunch?
@FishOil: let's try and keep this civil, no sense in pointing fingers here or starting some flame war.
FishOil Wrote:Talk about hypocritical. You're over sensitive and rude yourself.

This seems to be a pot and kettle yelling match.
Case in point:
Compile error thread Wrote:Can you explain to me why each of those switches are there? I just want to see if you have a grasp.

All I have is questions because half of it makes zero sense, and perhaps the reason it is failing in first place is probably because your understanding of what the configure line switches do and are for...

ALSA thread Wrote:But lemme give youa clew, when something doesnt work you should post any errors and logs or something that didnt go right just saying this is what I done doesnt work wont get you any "real" help, just a lot of guesses and more advice that doesnt help fixing the issue in fact Im sure that running the script ontop of the alsa buggered something up.

How to compile from GIT thread. Wrote:@ darkscout

comment about distcc, while I apprecciate you point of view, understand this is released under GPL as such, I wont make any alterations to suit custom virtual box set-ups, This guide is provided as opensource under gpls v3 so anyone can do whatever they want with itas long as they post the changes and new code according to GPL.

If you want to add or improve something do the work yourselves. Otherwise I charge £180 and hour.

That's what opensource is.

My job is done here. any thing anyone want added do it yourselves, want an new feature add it freely.

Please realize opensource doesn't mean you make suggestion and some mug does the work for you, just because you asked nicely.

Shutdown Thread. Wrote:if it does the job for me, it should work for everyone else... This is posted in XBMC-Live so considering this works on fulldesktop and xbmc-live I answered the questions....

Perhaps if its failing its because of user error?

Quote:Who got your panties in a bunch?
$10 says it's me. I finally had enough in the 'shut down linux thread' when he completely misunderstood the question and then went off on a tangential rant. Then when something slightly offends him he goes back and edits the post so he can throw the victim card. (I'm glad I wasn't the only one that caught it either.)

Quote:all of the bolded stuff I seen directed at me or at other always by various members of these forums...

I cut most of your crap a break because I assume that English isn't your first language based on your posts. But someone else (not me) said it best:
A tip for you X3lectric: if you want people to like you so much, try behaving like a decent, adult human being now and then instead of a petulant teenager.

-

I know I'm heavily sarcastic. Especially if it's the 10th time we've seen something and it's the first hit in search. If a problem is posted with out a debug log I usually joke that the debug log says it's a flux capacitor problem. But if it's something new, tricky or something I've never seen before I usually try to track it down. Like getting shutdown, ALSA or the remotes working in newer kernels. Or even Virtualbox running (Which I have on my HTPC). And the ONLY time I've snapped at anyone directly is.... guess who.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Yeah, I'm shutting this thread down. Being raised American, I'm incredibly loath to censor anyone, regardless of how vile, unless it results in an invasion of privacy. I'd consider outright banning someone WELL before I consider deleting words.

Beyond that suggestion, the request is that moderators be more active and less biased. Duly noted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
effective moderation on forums0