Best Add-ons for XBMC on ATV2
Ned Scott Wrote:This is the kind of incorrect assumption we want to avoid. When it comes to the vast majority of add-ons the "processing power" is irrelevant. We're talking about video streams and scripts. I don't know what you think is happening under the hood, but it's not some kind of voodoo magic.

Most of the "flash based" add-ons that are having issues right now are ones related to the librtmp, which will be resolved eventually. It worked at one point and it will work again. The real problem is most of those sites are also working on other ways to block direct access and have issues across all platforms.

Like procrastinator said, the list of not working is a lot shorter than the list of working. ATV2 issues are more about ATV2 still being a new platform rather than any hard ATV2 limitations.

eTip: a thread going through what is working and what isn't working is indeed useful, but again I'm saying that someone just starting out and asking "hey guys, what are some cool add-ons" shouldn't feel limited to just searching for ATV2 specific areas. It doesn't bother me if people ask these questions on the iOS forum, but broadening their search is often to their benefit.
I'm well aware of what is causing the issues, but the lack of hardware decoding for flash is unlikely for the ATV2 to ever see HD flash decoding. I think it's unrealistic to expect them to operate as well as their PC counterparts, and whether the list of problematic addons is smaller or not, it's still there. As the platform evolves and matures then we'll see a reduction in the size of the list but that doesn't make this sort of discussion any less necessary right now.

It's a constantly evolving process, but it's a valid discussion for the platform in it's current state and more than likely for quite a while to come.
ProphetVX Wrote:I'm well aware of what is causing the issues, but the lack of hardware decoding for flash is unlikely for the ATV2 to ever see HD flash decoding. I think it's unrealistic to expect them to operate as well as their PC counterparts, and whether the list of problematic addons is smaller or not, it's still there. As the platform evolves and matures then we'll see a reduction in the size of the list but that doesn't make this sort of discussion any less necessary right now.

It's a constantly evolving process, but it's a valid discussion for the platform in it's current state and more than likely for quite a while to come.

Flash doesn't run at all on the ATV2. Add-ons like BlueCop's are just playing swf files which contain H.264 video. When BlueCop's Hulu add-on worked I was able to watch shows in HD on the ATV2 without issue. I don't know where you are getting your information from.
Ned Scott Wrote:Flash doesn't run at all on the ATV2. Add-ons like BlueCop's are just playing swf files which contain H.264 video. When BlueCop's Hulu add-on worked I was able to watch shows in HD on the ATV2 without issue. I don't know where you are getting your information from.
Incorrect, I've had rtmp streams that used VP6 encapsulated in flv working on a plugin (An NRL rugby league streaming plugin) I wrote on the ATV2 (this was about 2 months ago, so it may have changed since then). Just anything over a bitrate of about 300kbps it starts skipping frames.

Considering I developed the entire plugin on the ATV2, I don't need to look at other peoples work to view the performance. I hadn't released it either due to it allowing free access to a paid site by working around some pretty clumsy authentication.

If you'd like to check the video yourself here is an example that I have run successfully on the ATV2, and did so just now on a 6 week old build...
Code:
rtmpdump -r rtmp://aussiesportstv.fod.video.premiumtv.co.uk/fod/nrl/flv/nocrop/hi/NRL11_rd16_replays_dragons_vs_seaeagles_1sthalf_2M.flv | nohup /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -vvv -

However that is irrelevant, if the story is as you say, wouldn't a thread like this be even more important?

----- EDIT -----
I have just tested on the latest build for ATV2 as well as the AE branch, both play the video albeit with dropped frames.
Regardless of the mechanism that underlies whether an add-on works or not, the fact remains that the vast majority do work. So if a specific thread is necessary for "addons on iOS", wouldn't it be more productive to have one which states which addons are not working on iOS specifically?

The recommendation threads can be left to the those aimed at cross-platform users. In my view iOS specific recommendation threads don't do anything that a general recommendation thread can't do. They aren't necessarily being recommended because they work on iOS, and they don't explicitly state if something isn't working. So to go back to what I was saying in my last post: the user should pick up recommendations from a general recommendation thread, give it a try, and if it doesn't work then check out if that's because of iOS.
Rainbow 
ProphetVX Wrote:Incorrect, I've had rtmp streams that used VP6 encapsulated in flv

My point is that flash has nothing to do with it. That is a codec issue, no different than trying to play HD Divx.

I said before that I don't have a problem with this thread or others like it. I only said the guy should look in more general forums for his own sake to get better recommendations (since, in theory, those boards would have more users and a broader add-on focus). If he wants to find add-ons through platform specific forums then more power to him. And if we can get some ATV2/iOS specific discussion out of it, even better. I didn't mean it to be anything more than a suggestion.
Ned Scott Wrote:My point is that flash has nothing to do with it. That is a codec issue, no different than trying to play HD Divx.

I said before that I don't have a problem with this thread or others like it. I only said the guy should look in more general forums for his own sake to get better recommendations (since, in theory, those boards would have more users and a broader add-on focus). If he wants to find add-ons through platform specific forums then more power to him. And if we can get some ATV2/iOS specific discussion out of it, even better. I didn't mean it to be anything more than a suggestion.
I was only ever talking about flash video, which is a valid format and a popular standard and you said it doesn't play on XBMC which clearly isn't the case. VP6 is the standard flash video codec, and very few implementations support hardware decoding which is why playing it on the ATV2 is a difficult task. If a video doesn't play, of course it is a codec issue, it is after all what dictates whether a media player can interpret the format.

You clearly misinterpreted what I was saying, I was never discussing playing flash animations or games etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Add-ons for XBMC on ATV20