Best Add-ons for XBMC on ATV2
I am new to XBMC and ATV2. I am sure someone has already started this post elsewhere in the forum but, I have not found any info that is recent. What are the best ATV2 add-ons for watching live television streams and movies? I currently use Icefilms and Navi-x. None of the other scripts that I have found such as veehd seem to work on ATV2 or are no longer functional. Thanks for any advice!
sportsdevil
veetle
gamespot
gametrailers
youjizz.com >Big Grin

...to name a few?
woompa Wrote:I am new to XBMC and ATV2. I am sure someone has already started this post elsewhere in the forum but, I have not found any info that is recent. What are the best ATV2 add-ons for watching live television streams and movies? I currently use Icefilms and Navi-x. None of the other scripts that I have found such as veehd seem to work on ATV2 or are no longer functional. Thanks for any advice!

Why are you asking in the iOS forum instead of the general help forum or the add-on forum? The whole point here is that this is a FULL XBMC version, and generally speaking if it works on desktop XBMC then it will work on ATV2 XBMC.
There are definitely some Addons that work on other platforms but not on ATV2 - I believe primarily due to the librtmp (or whatever it's called) issue.
I don't know which ones aren't working on iOS (I don't have any problems with any of mine), but it's still fair to say that the vast majority of addons that work on other instances of XBMC will also work on iOS. So a better idea than asking for iOS specific recommendations is to search out, or ask for general recommendations of addons. Chances are that whatever you try then it'll work just fine. If it doesn't work, then try and find out if it's an XBMC for iOS specific problem that's stopping it. The list of addons that don't work on iOS is a lot shorter than the list of those that do. You don't need to restrict the recommendations that you're asking for to ATV2/iOS.

Here's a place to start for recommendations:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97433
eTip Wrote:There are definitely some Addons that work on other platforms but not on ATV2 - I believe primarily due to the librtmp (or whatever it's called) issue.

Yes, but my point is to get people thinking that this is XBMC, not just XBMC for ATV2. It's one thing to look for what add-ons are working on certain platforms, but this is just someone generally looking for add-ons :)
Ned Scott Wrote:Yes, but my point is to get people thinking that this is XBMC, not just XBMC for ATV2. It's one thing to look for what add-ons are working on certain platforms, but this is just someone generally looking for add-ons Smile

Why would you need to do this? ATV2 is a completely separate platform with it's own set of limiting factors. Running a plugin and running a plugin well are a completely separate kettle of fish on the ATV2. Yes it's XBMC but the architecture is completely different and processing power is severely limited.

Most flash based plugins for example are close to unusable above SD quality.
As an ATV2 user, it has been a bit frustrating having to find out the hard way that an Addon doesn't work for ATV2. I find it hard to believe anyone using ATV2 hasn't run across this issue. In many cases, the Addon hasn't been tested on IOS & the developer can't tell you whether it will work or not. That's understandable - I know they can't be expected to have every piece of hardware. I have certainly tried to to my part to offer to test on ATV2 & I know others have as well. To me a thread like this is both helpful to IOS users and to the developers - since it hopefully reduces the number of questions they get in regards to an Addon not working.

I can't come up with a list of Addons that either don't work or have reduced functionality on ATV2 - but there are a fair number of them. Free Cable comes to mind. Just search the forums for "librtmp" and ATV2 and you will see more.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of the XBMC community and not a whiner.

EDIT: Thread about librtmp issue on ATV2:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...brtmp+Atv2
FWIW Navi-X for me this is the most awesome plugin, works great on atv2
ProphetVX Wrote:Why would you need to do this? ATV2 is a completely separate platform with it's own set of limiting factors. Running a plugin and running a plugin well are a completely separate kettle of fish on the ATV2. Yes it's XBMC but the architecture is completely different and processing power is severely limited.

Most flash based plugins for example are close to unusable above SD quality.

This is the kind of incorrect assumption we want to avoid. When it comes to the vast majority of add-ons the "processing power" is irrelevant. We're talking about video streams and scripts. I don't know what you think is happening under the hood, but it's not some kind of voodoo magic.

Most of the "flash based" add-ons that are having issues right now are ones related to the librtmp, which will be resolved eventually. It worked at one point and it will work again. The real problem is most of those sites are also working on other ways to block direct access and have issues across all platforms.

Like procrastinator said, the list of not working is a lot shorter than the list of working. ATV2 issues are more about ATV2 still being a new platform rather than any hard ATV2 limitations.

eTip: a thread going through what is working and what isn't working is indeed useful, but again I'm saying that someone just starting out and asking "hey guys, what are some cool add-ons" shouldn't feel limited to just searching for ATV2 specific areas. It doesn't bother me if people ask these questions on the iOS forum, but broadening their search is often to their benefit.
working/non-working addons is a churning list.
@ned Scott: In reading the OP, I took it that they had experienced some of the Addons that weren't working on ATV2 & that's what led him to start the thread. I could be wrong about that. Your point is valid, though & I think it's important that we have clarification as to exactly why an Addon isn't working - whether it's due to a the platform, version they are running etc. etc.

Davilla's post get's right the heart of the matter though since things change quickly. I guess that while it might seem easier to have a thread of working/nonworking Addons, in most cases the best place for the most up to date information is probably found in the thread for the Addon. Truth is - for myself, in most cases I have to try it for myself before I am convinced something is working or not Wink
I just assumed that since this was in the ios system it was understood Add-ons that work well with IOS. I love threads like this since I check this sub-forum the most.
I did have the feeling that many add-ons did not work as well for the ATV2 but, maybe those add-ons simply dont work for anyone. In my original post I only asked specifically for ATV2 because the nightly version I have of XBMC is specifically for ATV2.....http://hadm.net/xbmc/latest_atv2.deb. If it were for all iOS, then wouldn't it be named "...latest_ios.deb" and not "...latest_atv2.deb"?
latest_ios.deb is for iphone/ipad/ipod .. latest_atv2 is for atv2 ... but all of them are basically iOS devices ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Add-ons for XBMC on ATV20