Apple TV Sytem Memory
Hi,

I tried updating my Apple TV to the latest official build 10.0-9 via terminal, however I did not realise that I already had the latest official version installed. Before the update I had over half the system memory free, now however it says 64% has been used and there is only 89mb free. I'm guessing the update files are still on the device? If so is there anyway of freeing up the memory?

Additionally I was just wondering if there would be any reason why the music player would be freezing when attempting to play files via samba from my mac. The Apple TV freezes most times as soon as I click on a file to play. Only a handful of times has the music actually started playing.

Edit: My I'm on IOS: 4.3

Thanks,

Zahir
ssh in

du -h /

that will show you where the disk memory has gone.
davilla Wrote:ssh in

du -h /

Okay thanks for the reply, I shall try this out later.
Additionally I have just tried the music workaround using this code in an XML File (advancedsettings.xml) placed in the XMBC userdata and the music player still crashes, anyone got any thoughts on why this is?

Code:

<advancedsettings>

<audio>

<defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>

</audio>

</advancedsettings>
Try posting a debug log. It should shed some more light on the no music situation.

Instructions:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480
davilla Wrote:ssh in

du -h /

how do i delete the stuff i don't need through ssh?or maybe winscp?
fabulous Wrote:how do i delete the stuff i don't need through ssh?or maybe winscp?

ssh into it, cd to the directory where you want to remove files you don't need, and type "rm <somefile>" where <somefile> is replaced with the name of the file(s) you don't want

be careful though, don't want to delete something you need, using "du -h / | sort" might make it a little easier to read, I noticed on my that cached rental content is taking up alot of space on my own atv2, here's how I'd remove it, shouldn't hurt anything to remove it:

Code:
Apple-TV:/ root#  du -h / | grep Local
2.8G    /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental
Apple-TV:/ root# cd /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental
Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental root# ls -l
total 2858512
-rw------- 1 mobile mobile 2927101672 Jun 19 21:07 CachedMedia-382Fhz
-rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile        551 Jun 19 21:07 diskcacherepository.plist
Apple-TV:/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video/LocalAndRental root# rm CachedMedia-382Fhz
When attempting to play music the apple tv 2 still freezes / crashes. However if I click on a music file it is sometimes possible to get it to play if I click on a file, then go back to the main menu and press pause and then play on the music widget. I have tried doing the advanced settings code as said earlier - anyone got any ideas how to sort this out?

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/638947/

Above is the syslog. Additionally does anyone know of any good internet radio scripts.

Regards,

Zahir
Zahir Wrote:When attempting to play music the apple tv 2 still freezes / crashes. However if I click on a music file it is sometimes possible to get it to play if I click on a file, then go back to the main menu and press pause and then play on the music widget. I have tried doing the advanced settings code as said earlier - anyone got any ideas how to sort this out?

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/638947/

Above is the syslog. Additionally does anyone know of any good internet radio scripts.

Regards,

Zahir

I think the xbmc.log file would be more helpful.
You need to send xbmc.log - that should show what is happening in xbmc I think.

Have a look at /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/xbmc.log (this is the debug log, don't forget to enable debugging in xbmc first - in the menu)

If you log onto the appletv box and do this:
cd /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata
ls -l advancedsettings.xml

You should get a result like this:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root mobile 194 Jun 29 15:36 advancedsettings.xml

If you cant see a file then you got it in the wrong place so therefore its still using the default player and crashing. What does your result to the ls -l command show?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV Sytem Memory0