• 1(current)
Which remote do you use?
I do not yet have a remote for my HTPC so that is next on the list.

Question is, which one? I can't help but lean towards Harmony mainly because it would ALSO interface with the other devices... so it would be a great MCE and universal remote... but it actually seems like perhaps the harmony aren't so great to be used for XBMC?

So what do you use to control your XBMC + related? What do you like most about it? Dislikes?

The only "remote" I have right now is this:

It actually does a decent job but I often have to "look at it" to navigate. Don't want to press a different button instead of the arrow keys, for example... Also, when using it I occasionally have the trackball move or press or similar and it ends up selecting something else on screen...
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:I do not yet have a remote for my HTPC so that is next on the list.

Question is, which one? I can't help but lean towards Harmony mainly because it would ALSO interface with the other devices... so it would be a great MCE and universal remote... but it actually seems like perhaps the harmony aren't so great to be used for XBMC?

So what do you use to control your XBMC + related? What do you like most about it? Dislikes?

I use a Harmony One. My only gripe is the buttons click, I'd much rather have the soft pad buttons.

Functionality wise, it controls my HTPC, Lexicon Pre-amp/processor, Samsung plasma and DirecTV great.

Having used the Philips Pronto, RC2000 and others over the years I can say the Harmony has been the most easily configurable and best I've owned.
Media server: unRaid 5.0.5 | CPU: Intel-Core i3-4360 | MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F | RAM: 16 GB Crucial ECC | CASE: PC-A77F | HD Cages: iStarUSA BPU-350SATA | PSU: Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3 | HDD: WD Red | 25 TB array -WD Red 4TB Parity | 500GB WD Black Cache| Build Details
The remote that came with my Onkyo receiver: http://www.nl.onkyo.com/assets/1/2/0/2/0...2x3511.jpg

I really think it's a great remote. It can control hunderds of devices: TV, STU, DVD, HDDVD, VCR, BR, PVR, Consoles, my receiver (doh) and my HTPC.

To be honest I didn't expect this. When I bought the receiver I was thinking something more along the lines of a regular TV remote or maybe something like the Xbox 360 'universal' remote (support for 50 TVs max, no other devices). If I was lucky. But as it turned out the remote came with a PDF with ~ 15 pages of remote codes for all sorts and brands of devices.

I also like that it has some dedicated buttons for receiver and TV functionality, so I don't have to switch back to receiver mode to adjust the (master) volume, for instance.

Dislikes: well, everything can be better. My remote only has presets and although there are a lot of them, the buttons are not programmable individually and it cannot 'learn' anything new. RF would also have been nice but I really don't need it. Oh and it has no backlight.
I use the XBMC iPhone Remote, and when my phone is recharging, I use my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

I was thinking of buying the Logitech Harmony, but I dont now if it comes packed with a IR receiver for PC.
Since I do not have one built in. (I made my old desktop pc into a HTPC since it isnt that big)
At the moment i just use an old media keyboard - logitech something.
But when i get the money im gonna buy diNovo Mini.
And a Harmony 1100 - i doubt its gonna be worth the money - but its just awesome!
I use the Harmony 650. It's cheap for a Harmony but still very functional. The only real limitation is it can only control up to 5 devices.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:I use the Harmony 650. It's cheap for a Harmony but still very functional. The only real limitation is it can only control up to 5 devices.

Any lack of functionality or quirks when using with XBMC?
ive been using a Harmony 550 for years, they pop upon newegg.com for like $40 every now and again. Great balance for a remote, easy to hold and very good battery life. Don't like the fancier harmony units as they basically have to live in the charging cradle.

Other than that I use mobile airmouse on my iphone/ipad when i need a touchpad and keyboard for configuration, and I also really like XBMC commander for the ipad (works on the other idevices too).
I use the Rii mini keyboard, it is great and feels like a remote control as it is small. I don't have any problem with it. You could search on the forum here, many people are using it, but again you have to look into it sometimes.

+1 for the harmony 550. You can get a great deal on them from newegg or amazon but you have to strike at the right time when they have them on sale. Seems that they always run a sale around black friday (day after Thanksgiving in the US).

You will need a USB dongle, which can be purchased fairly cheep. Then just set asside the cheap MCE remote and program the 550 to send MCE keypresses.

Initially this is what I did and it worked great. Then I purchased an Antec Veris VFD display (around 100 bucks) that has a built in receiver. It comes with an iMon remote. With the right drivers from iMon's site it can receive signals from the included remote or a MCE remote. That was great since my harmony remote was all ready programmed at the time to send MCE presses.

The other great thing about the Veris is that it is really easy to customize the button presses. With the software you can tell the remote to send keyboard button presses, which it simulates. This is so much easier than editing the registry.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Has anyone tried using Harmony 300?

Does it come with a USB dongle?
I suppose not, but it doesn't hurt to ask...
No and no Smile
I use the boxee remote. I love this thing! It feels great in your hand, you have a full keyboard on the back and the top (where I spend 99% of my time) is minimal. You get full nav with left <> Right <> Up <> Down <> Select <> Back <> play <> Pause all on the top.

I mapped a couple buttons on the back of the remote to "Info" "Update video library" "reboot" "Fullscreen".

Plus it comes with a tiny USB RF receiver so you dont need LOS to operate. Only thing that I wish I could do is power on through the remote. Which is why I'm looking at the plus 8 remote since its IR and RF. Meh...expensive and thick though.

Boxee Remote

Pulse-Eight Remote

htpc guy Wrote:+1 for the harmony 550.

Just wondering, why do you also recommend this (quite a bit) older model over the many newer ones?

And aren't there issues with XBMC with lag/slowness when using them together?
nostic Wrote:I use the boxee remote.
Aren't you pressing the 'keyboard' buttons when holding the remote? Looks a bit inconvenient to me, but I could be wrong of course.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which remote do you use?0