Skin Settings under Addon Setting?
How about:
Use addon settings and integrate settings from current skin into settings -> appearance or settings -> skin (not opening addon settings dialog - just import addon settings into setting window)?

Move Skin.SetImage(string[,value]), Skin.SetFile(string,mask,folderpath), Skin.SetBool(setting), Skin.Reset(setting) builtins and Skin.String(name), Skin.HasSetting(name) infolabels to use addon settings and not gui settings (nuking guisettings.xml won't reset skin settings - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104777)?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3
pieh Wrote:into settings -> appearance or settings -> skin

Just a note here - I would strongly suggest putting it in Appearance, along with the rest of skin specific settings (theme, colors, fonts). All options would be in one place and you are definitely changing Appearance with a skin switch. Seams like a good opportunity to finally get rid of Appearance vs Skin ambiguity.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I don't see why we can't use the dialog: It automatically gives categories to allow you to split things up anyway.

A shortcut to skin settings available in Appearance->Skin makes sense.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pecinko Wrote:Just a note here - I would strongly suggest putting it in Appearance, along with the rest of skin specific settings (theme, colors, fonts). All options would be in one place and you are definitely changing Appearance with a skin switch. Seams like a good opportunity to finally get rid of Appearance vs Skin ambiguity.
Reason I proposed "settings -> skin" is because skin settings can be divided into many categories - (f.e. conflunce setting categories are: General settings / Home window options / Background customizer / addon shortcuts) and mixing these categories with appearence categories can look messy

Anyway I agree with Your idea - You posted it in time when I was writing my post and didn't see it before pushing "post" Smile
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I can see the need to have them in the same fullscreen layout as the standard settings (SettingsCategory) as opposed to a dialog like the addon settings (DialogAddonSettings) and also accessed from the Settings screen (Settings > Current Skin).

To achieve this couldn't we have a new dialog - DialogSkinSettings?

It could use the same controls as DialogAddonSettings but it would allow us skinners to display it as a fullscreen window just like the standard settings.
Hitcher Wrote:To achieve this couldn't we have a new dialog - DialogSkinSettings?

I thought it's a skinners choice - I'm displaying addon setting in full screen.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

spiff Wrote:it would work EXACTLY as it does for other add-ons now - that's the whole point........... (add some more dots)

it's not our job to protect retards against themself. and you have to be truely retarded to not understand that you're configuring the skin you selected in the add-on browser.
spiff,

Have to say that I'm almost entirely in agreement here with you. But having seen more than one or two posts go thru complaining that 'files' mode has gone, I can see this being more of an issue than 'files' mode.

Just asking that people remember that idiots are incredibly resourceful in doing stupid sh!t. Skins are not scripts and plugins, so need a slightly different mindset. I think the idea of coming off of the appearance setting menu is a good one.

But that is just my 2c worth
Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
sure, that is very much doable, i never imagined anything but a shortcut in the settings (and it's already supported actually - addon.default.OpenSettings(xbmc.skin) (don't try this in current master, it will likely fail horribly). but i don't see how anyone can get confused which skin they are configuring, since you will have to go through the browser to configure anything but the currently used one, that was my point.
pecinko Wrote:I thought it's a skinners choice - I'm displaying addon setting in full screen.

Yes but I'd like to keep the general Addon Settings as a popup and have Skin Settings fullscreen. That way there's no difference to the user between the two methods.

EDIT: And if you wanted them to look the same you could just C&P most of DialogAddonSettings to DialogSkinSettings.
Why do you want skin settings full screen but other addons not full screen?

Some addons have lots and lots of settings (youtube for instance) - some more than some skins have.

Either way I think you could achieve a fullscreen look in a dialog for your skin settings via a conditional include?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'd like to bring this up to the table again. I already done some work on using addon mechanism to store settings via addon mechanism (this change *should* transparent for skinners).

What type of settings do You need to drop custom window for skin settings in favour of addon settings dialog? Check pdf http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-gpodder-in...loads/list (page 11) to get list of currently available type of settings.

What for sure is missing now is ability to set addon (already have pull request on that) and [optional] ability to display selected image/multiimage for backdrop selector.

What are benefits? You don't need to maintain yet another window and just use simplified addon settings dialog. You can specify default values (f.e. proper bool defaults without weird inverts, set default backdrops)

And once again - You still we able to use custom window for settings.

Only objection I have against this is that it's up to the skinner to decide where to place the settings. Not everybody will move the settings to the add-on settings or will have additional settings windows. This can be confusing to the end-user imo.
Surely the end-user wont know the difference?

Selecting 'Add-on Settings' will either take you a custom Skin Settings window (if present) or Add-on Settings.

Or selecting 'Skin Settings' from Appearance will take you to either the Skin Settings window or Add-on Settings.
I missed page 2 there...
How will that work, do we get a new window id for the skin settings adn if that is used that window will pop-up and otherwise add-on settings screen?
pieh Wrote:I'd like to bring this up to the table again. I already done some work on using addon mechanism to store settings via addon mechanism (this change *should* transparent for skinners).

What type of settings do You need to drop custom window for skin settings in favour of addon settings dialog? Check pdf http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-gpodder-in...loads/list (page 11) to get list of currently available type of settings.

What for sure is missing now is ability to set addon (already have pull request on that) and [optional] ability to display selected image/multiimage for backdrop selector.

What are benefits? You don't need to maintain yet another window and just use simplified addon settings dialog. You can specify default values (f.e. proper bool defaults without weird inverts, set default backdrops)

And once again - You still we able to use custom window for settings.

Here's some off the top of my head that I can think of -
  • A slider control with Min, Max and step values (eg Background Transparency from 80% to 100% in 1% steps)
  • A toggle button control (eg Background Selector for Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc)

Also can a select box open another select box?

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin Settings under Addon Setting?0