Skin Settings under Addon Setting?
I'm sure I read somewhere that Skin Settings would be moved to Addon Settings for Eden but I can't find the post/thread anywhere.

Was it wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks.
Hitcher Wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that Skin Settings would be moved to Addon Settings for Eden but I can't find the post/thread anywhere.

Was it wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks.

Glad you're bringing it up (this is new info for me), but I don't see this as good idea.

Although it seams logical as skins are addons, it won't be practical at all. Secondly skins are addons from a install point of view but they considerably alter XBMC looks so that you may argue they belong to Appearace section.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hitcher it's still planned but with many things for eden they are getting delayed because the deva are busy making XBMC run better on lower powered platforms which really is better than small cosmetics changes
pecinko nothing will stop you doing it the old away but this will be easy just maybe not as pretty for things like background choosers and uniform across all addons and skins
It will certainly be easier when we can use proper spin controls for skin settings - the fake ones I used in XeeBo were a nightmare to code.

Thanks Jezz.
As a result would this mean all the controls that are available to system settings could be used for skin settings too (like slider controls for example)?

If so, yay Smile

I prefer to keep doing skin settings "free form" as well. So if that'll still be possible in addition to having it in add-on settings, I'm happy.
Jezz_X Wrote:pecinko nothing will stop you doing it the old away but this will be easy just maybe not as pretty for things like background choosers and uniform across all addons and skins

This is exactly where I was aiming, but it will be remedied if the old way will be still possible. Although, having it the both ways does not seam as a user friendly and I cannot imagine more complex skins where you can tweak 158684 options using addons settings without making a shortcut for it on a home page :-) and that would be..
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hitcher Wrote:It will certainly be easier when we can use proper spin controls for skin settings - the fake ones I used in XeeBo were a nightmare to code.

I would welcome spin controls, of course, but I think those could be available with old way too.

I suppose devs didn't want to code it twice (or rather alter the existing code), hence decision that those will be available when skin setting move to addons. Maybe they are willing to reconsider?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Personally I think we bite the bullet and kill off the way you currently do things and just replace with the addon settings way.

Yes, it may not look as pretty, but it's shitloads less code for you to worry about, and you can instead use that time to make the rest look prettier Smile

Obviously I'm open to ideas on how to make specific things prettier.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

well unless your going to remove the ability to to use custom windows and

Skin.SetImage(string[,value])
Skin.SetFile(string,mask,folderpath)
Skin.SetBool(setting)
Skin.Reset(setting)

which would be a bad idea since we use them in other places then its easy to do both
Obviously we'll still allow those (as they can be used for other things), and I realize I can't completely remove the ability to make your own settings screens.

However, it doesn't make sense from a user-perspective to have 2 ways to configure things, so IMO it's better for skinners to just use the one.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Obviously we'll still allow those (as they can be used for other things), and I realize I can't completely remove the ability to make your own settings screens.

However, it doesn't make sense from a user-perspective to have 2 ways to configure things, so IMO it's better for skinners to just use the one.
Jonathan,

Not against the idea as such, but have you considered what happens if there are multiple skins installed. Do you plan to only show the settings for only the currently selected skin or are you planing to have every skins settings available to edit much like what happens with addons at the moment?

The reason I ask is I can see the situation occurring where 'numby' user is complaining that they have changed the setting but nothing has happened. The reason being because the user has been busily changing some others skins setting, not the current skin.

Just asking as I can see a lot of issues with this until the users get their heads around the change.
Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
it would work EXACTLY as it does for other add-ons now - that's the whole point........... (add some more dots)

it's not our job to protect retards against themself. and you have to be truely retarded to not understand that you're configuring the skin you selected in the add-on browser.
jmarshall Wrote:Personally I think we bite the bullet and kill off the way you currently do things and just replace with the addon settings way.

Yes, it may not look as pretty, but it's shitloads less code for you to worry about, and you can instead use that time to make the rest look prettier Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

I think skin settings are accessed way more often than settings of "other" add-ons, and to a user (I think) they come across more as a part of the system configuration than for instance a video add-on, even though technically it's not a part of system settings.

From a user perspective I think it makes more sense for them to go to settings->skin as opposed to going into settings, select add-ons, hit enabled add-ons, select the repository, select skins, select the skin in question and finally select configure Wink After all, if you have just selected a skin in appearance settings, wanting to take a look in the settings of the skin you just selected is a quite plausible usage scenario. In the current situation those skin settings are accessible with a minimal amount of clicks.

Of course this can be made quicker by providing a shortcut in appearance settings or something to that extent, but then effectively you end up with a situation not all that different from the current method.

Aside from that, a lot of skins contain much more settings than your typical video or music add-on. Having the whole screen to lay this out imo results in a clearer configuration than a dialog window having to do more scrolling.

To be clear I am not against this at all, but personally I would opt to keep providing skin settings presentation in it's current form as well.
jmarshall Wrote:Personally I think we bite the bullet and kill off the way you currently do things and just replace with the addon settings way.

OK, then my suggestion is:

Make a new item - Settings in Setting/Appearance, placing it between existing items Skin and -Theme.

This would open up settings of actually active skin. If you call skin settings from Appearance, make esc/backspace take you back to Appearance, NOT AddonBrowser.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin Settings under Addon Setting?0