Win Video hang since catalyst 13.9 update
After reverting from Catalyst 13.1 to 12.10 last year (issues with xbmc!), I decided it was time for an update. The catalyst update itself is pretty usefull for my e-350 (felt a bit snappier) however I am having major issues with xbmc frodo 12.2 now.

I was able to watch a video and paused it. When I pressed resume the audio started playing but the video did not. XBMC itself became non responsive and had to be terminated.

After restarting xbmc the same thing is happening immdediately when starting a (new) video. You see working for 1 second, audio plays, but the xbmc video output becomes unresponsive. Reboot did not fix this.

Settings: DXVA with DXVA 2.0 @ video, Audio= HMDI output, 2.0.
OS=Win 7 64bit.
XBMC=Frodo 12.2

Any suggestions how to get my XBMC Frodo working with Catalyst 13.9Huh
Update:
I followed the HOWTO and removed the Realtec drivers. This seems to have solved the issue. Have not tested completely but the video starts again!

I am inclined to conclude that the realtek/amd issue is NOT present in catalyst 12.x and IS present in 13.X
I'm stuck back at 13.1 and have the attitude of 'if it an't broke don't fix it' and now I'm convinced.
If you do get some sort of resolve let us know.

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, win7/64, Frodo 12.2
Update2:
Unfortunately I still got a video freeze after a pause>resume. Audio started, video did not. Closed xbmc but unable to kill xbmc.exe. Takes about a minute for xbmc.exe to disappear from the taskmanager.

After restarting xbmd again the video does not show. Immediately get the windows wait icon. Audio plays perfectly.

Basically exact same issue I had with Catalyst 13.1 (and with Frodo 12.0!).

Very frustrating!
OK then the update to Catalyst 13.9 is inconclusive, as I don't have any issues with 13.1

What if you run with software decoding, do you still get video freeze after a pause>resume. Audio started, video did not? I do get a slight freeze and audio/video catch-up on a pause but it's ~1 sec and could be a buffer issue. You might try tweaking the display refresh and sync toggles (I don't have anything on here), Do you have any settings in the CCC that might contribute to some sort of muck-up? In an act of desperation, I would rename my XBMC in the C:programs and Roaming folders to something else, and install Gotham (there's been quite a few changes) to see what's what... no issues would have me porting over.
Yep, the 13.x drivers appear to have some serious issues with XBMC only. I've contacted AMD about this numerous times as well as spammed this forum with unhelpful questions. The only way I could get a fair solution was to use the steps in the link in my signature. This allows me to use the 13.x (currently 13.11) drivers and not have XBMC crashing. It does, however, cause a couple of other small issues.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Ok I got XBMC working with Catalyst 13.12 (!).

Pretty long story but here is what happened:
-I reinstalled Win 7 x64 on an SSD
-I Installed latest cataltst
-I transfered my XBMC settings
-XBMC got random freezes when seeking and or pausing video, sometimes refusing to even start video. Closing xbmc.exe took 60+ seconds...

So i messed around with different drivers and the problem persisted. Then I decided to delete the XBMC settings from application data.

Now I noticed that everyime I paused or seeked in the video I would get a popup from Trakt.tv stating that I had not set account information.

Hypothysis: It was Trakt.tv that crashes XBMC.

I tested the hypothysis by disabling the send status on seek and pause from the addon settings. Guess what: XBMC worked flawlessly! Also updated to 13.12 and XBMC has been stable ever since.

So if you have weird freezes during pausing/seeking>Disable Trakt.tv!

XBMC Stable for 14 days with:
Win 7 X64
Cataltst 13.12
Realtek drivers installed (!).
It's not trakt causing the problem - maybe it was in your case but it's not the cause for all. I have a 5450 in one machine with the latest drivers and those work flawlessly. The main problem is for people with built in GPU (Levovo Q180, Q190 and many others) where they mess around with the hardware (confirmed by AMD as a cause of the problem), or possibly hardware issues.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video hang since catalyst 13.9 update0