Sluggish animations in latest dirty regions nightly builds
Yery strange now here ^^... I would swear everything was smooth yesterday but now it isn't... same problems again (but not as bad as they were), just slightly more sluggish animations on my skin, especially hidden animations if video info will be opened. Strangely I had 62,50 fps yesterday, now it's 60 again which it should be with vsync always on. I'll test with a new clean install, new database etc. tomorrow to see if that solves anything.

Edit: Nothing changed after clean install. So my initial problem remains... it's better than the latest nighties but certainly not as good as the pre d-r builds.
Question 
about the animation?
cant you just reduce the time of the animations thats what i had to do for my media guide that way it runs fast and smooth at the same time without lag
That's not working... and I don't see why I should since it was all perfect before the d-r builds. Those particular animations (problem occurs in every view with all different types of animation) are also fine in jmarshalls test build from post #8 but there are other problems (lag on open / close animations).
oohhShocked
`Black: Is it better or worse? Where is it worse? How can I reproduce that? Is it only worse with d-r on? Is it only worse with d-r and nofliptimeout on?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Made some more tests and it seems to happen only if I open video, tvshows, seasons or episodes info (maybe album & artist info too, not on add-on info). There is a slight lag every time so my animation is not fully smooth... maybe it's related to database changes? Everything else is ok!
Thanks - it could be the bg loaders updating a texture or some such perhaps? Does it correspond to something in the log by any chance?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I'll check that tomorrow.
So here's the log... except for one line (bold marked) in the newer builds there is no difference in the log. Since it's 2 seconds after the init, I don't think that could be the problem.

Code:
14:27:12 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogVideoInfo.xml) ------
14:27:12 T:2520 M:1073741823    INFO: Loading skin file: DialogVideoInfo.xml
14:27:12 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating SetProperty(fanart_image,$INFO[ListItem.property(fanart_image)])
14:27:12 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To SetProperty(fanart_image,special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/42fd3d1a.tbn)
14:27:12 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating SetFocus(9333)
14:27:12 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To SetFocus(9333)
14:27:14 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 0e, sym: 0008, unicode: 0008, modifier: 0
14:27:14 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: backspace (f008) pressed, action is Back
[b]14:27:14 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: SECTION:UnloadDelayed(DLL: special://xbmcbin/system/ImageLib.dll)[/b]
14:27:14 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogVideoInfo.xml) ------
14:27:15 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 17, sym: 0069, unicode: 0069, modifier: 0
14:27:15 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: i (f049) pressed, action is Info
14:27:15 T:2520 M:1073741823   DEBUG: CVideoDatabase::GetMovieId (C:\Users\Black\Videos\127 Hours\127 Hours.mkv), query = select idMovie from movie where idFile=2169

Edit:
Yesterday I had 62,50 FPS again, it happened after wake from energy saving after a couple of hours... couldn't reproduce it until now. The interesting part is that everything was perfectly smooth then but the animations had some strange acceleration if something was loading (especially on startup because there's loading of recently added etc.)... normally it would just lag with no animation but there the animation got very very slow and no lag. After watching a movie the smoothness (of the animations on video info) was gone but still 62,50fps. I have absolutely no idea what's causing this.
Is this fix already in the master branch?

Anyway, using "Pre 11.0 Git:20110731-0dfa8a9" on OS X and had XBMC minimized for about an hour... said animations perfectly smooth for about a minute to two after maximizing, then back to normal, slightly choppy. Really weird. ^^

@jmarshall
Should I maybe send you a copy of my skin so you can test / see the 'problem' for yourself?
`Black Wrote:Is this fix already in the master branch?

After some testing, maybe... since there's no difference in newer builds to the log frame test build and the weird fps bug appears in both of them.

If "bug" occurs (randomly after xbmc starts, will occur as long as pc is running after that, even if I close & restart xbmc), everything is smooth but with strange accelerations sometimes if something is loading, e.g. database requests (this is imo the main factor causing the choppy animations). But choppy animations are also noticeable on settings category window close, maybe even overall here and there so maybe it's not related to loading from the db.

Would be nice if someone could find & fix the problem but I don't want you guys bother with it too much so it's my last post on this for now.
Yes, it has been merged into git HEAD a few weeks back now.

The FPS is a measured FPS and it's averaged over a second. Depending on dirty region rendering, whether the UI is being updated or whether nofliptimeout is set to something like 0 the FPS will intentionally fluctuate (no flip means we literally don't change the screen at all, so at that point the FPS is 0 - we run the app loop at just under 25fps at that point)

Really there's nothing we can do further than we're already doing. If you leave the machine for long periods of time then it may get out of sync but will be back in sync relatively quickly (within a second or two).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Well, thanks for the answer... I guess I have to live with it or search for the problem myself but that would be nearly impossible without investing a huge amount of time to understand the code (problem starts after commits from 15 to 17th of june, don't know exactly).

The initially reported problems are still very much there on my side and they are only gone if I have this "bug" where the fps are not at 59.9X or 60.0, sometimes 62.5 or 58.8 (as you can see in that screenshot - it is constantly!)... and it doesn't last only 2 seconds but as long as I restart my pc. But this is only on Windows, on OS X it's perfect now after I added background="true" to the one texture (has an effect only if using no xbt), strangely it's even better without xbt on OS X than with.
Did u test it on multiple windows configurations? Different graphic card/drivers..
Yes, it's on every Windows machine... tested it on WinXP and Win7.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sluggish animations in latest dirty regions nightly builds0