Keep data when upgrading ATV2 firmware
Hi,

When upgrading ATV2 firmware, I need to jailbreak again and install XBMC again. The couple of times I have done this, I have actually rescanned the entire movie and tv-show data after upgrade. With over 1000 movies, this is pain. And also: losing the "watched" status on everything! The last time I did this, I discovered the mymediadb plugin which actually marks stuff as "watched" based on my online db.

But I have read some fragments here and there, that I might perhaps backup my settings and database to what it was before upgrade?! Am I right in performing these steps?

1. Upgrade to latest XBMC version before upgrade (so XBMC files are in the latest format etc.
2. Take a copy of "/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata"
3. Upgrade ATV2, jailbreak and install XBMC.
4. Copy back the the userdata folder and set owner/group to media on the userdata folder recurs.

Sums it up or not?

Thanks,

Morten
Yep, do exactly as you described and you will have all your data after reinstall.

EmKay

P.S: if you login as mobile instead of root when backing up and restoring the user data folder you can skip the chown step

P.P.S.: if you backup the complete XBMC folder instead of only the subdolder userdata you will also keep your installed plugins etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keep data when upgrading ATV2 firmware0