Lack of Visualizations
Smile 
Exavior
As you are on a Mac maybeyoucan try my latest release of NastyFFT?
Check this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110835
pike Wrote:Hi Rovastar -you rockstar in the Vis scene- (I'm gonna try flattery)

Any chance you or Rabidhamster can opensource old stuff from R2-4 or whatever ? Or better yet, adapt them to xbmc directly... I know, not much money in opensource freeware, but there's the glory Smile

I guess I am one of the few that use Viz'es for personal enjoyment regularly and as good as ProjectM is, it's no Milkdrop. It just isn't 100% compatible with all milks Nerd

+1000 Cool

guess i am one of these guys too Nod
spiff Wrote:So start coding.

What a completely useless post. If he could start coding, do you not think he might have done so?

FWIW op, I think the lack of visualisation/support is a big let down too. Lets hope something can happen.
kitsunegari Wrote:What a completely useless post. If he could start coding, do you not think he might have done so?

FWIW op, I think the lack of visualisation/support is a big let down too. Lets hope something can happen.

Agreed, and it misses the point of the OP. I think the OP did a great job of articulating:
A. An area of XBMC that has a lot of room for improvement
B. Specific examples of how it could be done

It is possible that a non-coder can have a good idea without the means to implement it, and this seams to be one of those cases.

Rovastar Wrote:I think the fashion of visualizations has past its peak. People just aren't as interested as your used to be....

Also the barrier is high because the public are expecting the more fancy graphics, etc to compete with latest Call of Duty they see advertised on TV...

If you search around on here I believe you will find that there are many people who want more options for visualizations on XBMC. It is my opinion that visualizations have not reached a peak, it's that the landscape has changed. People no longer want a bunch of random colors and shapes morphing around the screen; they want clean visuals that melt into the background and accompany, not upstage the music. Fan art is a perfect example of this. There could be several visualizations based off of fan art, lyrics, album art, etc.
A similar post from Pouet.net leaves the scene back to the OpenGL vs DirectX discussion: http://pouet.net/topic.php?which=8596
(2011-09-21, 22:41)zag2me Wrote: God I remember rabidhamster!! I used to stare at the screen for hours watching that Smile

Have to agree with all the above. Put something in place, write some tutorials, make it easy to understand. They will come...

I still use R4 the most amazing music visualizations ever....
Hi folks,

New here, but I've been poking on the ProjectM source code for awhile now, so I thought I'd share my work here as there does indeed seem to be interest.

I've mainly been working on the "beat detection", but also have some MilkDrop compat improvements.

The existing projectM sound analysis is based on some statistical energy methods, I've replaced this with an FFT based approach. The results are IMO a dramatic improvement in the standalone version of projectM. I've ported the patch to the XBMC version of ProjectM, however the results are very disappointing..

It seems XBMC does not provide frequent updates of the audio stream to visualizations, so while the viz is running @ 60fps, the audio data is only being refreshed in the area of 10fps. At least thats what I observe.. I've seen one or two mentions of this elsewhere, so I assume its not just on my system.

I'll be looking into fixing this audio refresh issue in XBMC if I can locate its cause and then I'll look at submitting a patch to XBMC. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Anyway, if there's interest I'll definitely arrange to share my code, as I am also interested in having a good viz solution for XBMC.

/mike.
@kid_meier, also there's a newer ProjectM which supports more and newer presets, have you looked at this ?

Furthermore there's many Milkdrop presets which simply doesn't work correctly Sad

And last, AE (our new audio system) will bring changes to the viz-api I believe so changes are coming
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

kid_meier,

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad to hear you're working on improving this area of xbmc. Xbmc only supports MilkDrop 1.04 presets, does these MilkDrop compatability improvements you briefly mentioned mean we will finally see 2.0.1 support?
(2012-04-24, 19:35)pike Wrote: @kid_meier, also there's a newer ProjectM which supports more and newer presets, have you looked at this ?

Furthermore there's many Milkdrop presets which simply doesn't work correctly Sad

And last, AE (our new audio system) will bring changes to the viz-api I believe so changes are coming

Are you referring to projectM 2.0 with shader support? I am aware of it, and I've actually also shoe-horned this version into XBMC. My reference to my work MilkDrop compat is most in reference to the shader support.

I have no silver bullets, but I think my changes are a definite improvement. I'll take a peek at the new AE and see if that helps. I also saw a reference in the Fische thread that disabling pulseaudio may help...

Thanks,
/mike.
@kid_meier Good luck!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I'm curious. What is the best looking waveform/spectrogram type option available? There's a waveform viz, but it's just an unattractive single line.

Is there no way to have a waveform like this overlayed on the album arm?

I'll leave this deer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUuKvHHt8Sk
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2011-07-09, 16:49)spiff Wrote: So start coding.

Maybe he is busy working on something really important, like karaoke..
Anyone knows if exists Andoid visualizator for android ? Also in dev , thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lack of Visualizations2