[atv2] ATV2: worth it? how's the 1080p?
Hi, so I'm currently using a macbook (first gen) and for some reason things are skipping badly.. when they used not to.

It's not a big deal, the thing is on it's way out, but I do want to keep XMBC and I'd rather not buy a new PC.

I see a lot of post about the ATV2 and how it stutters at 1080p. I can almost live with that, but I would expect 720p to be pristine - is that the case?

Also, why are some people buying ATV1 when they could just buy the ATV2?
I have two atv2's and i love them. Sure they are not as fast as my htpc but the size and power output they are well worth it.

As for playback, i have no trouble with any 720p content, only some 1080p movies. Thats from 660 movies and 60 odd tv shows.

however..

I just switched from samba to nfs shares today and now i can playback my avatar rip which is 27gb 1080p. I havent been able to fully test this yet but any 1080p movie i had problems playing before now works great

The only thing the atv2 cant do is switch refresh rates to match the framerate. This causes stutter most people dont notice but it drives some people crazy. I guess if ur coming from a mac you will be used to it.

For the price and ease of setup the atv2 rocks.

cheers

EDIT: people buy the ATV1 cause you can run linux on it and because it has component output. You need to buy a crystal hd card to playback hd content though.
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
ATV1 has USB host, 1080 output, can work as a DVD player if you hook a drive up to USB, can handle IDE hard drives, and has more power for the GUI. Used ATV1s are as cheap as $50. You can even run a lot of mac OS X software on it (eyeTV and you have Live tv and DVR functions).

ATV2 has Netflix and future IOS ports/development, super awesome small, even lower power use, native airplay (ATV1 has some hacked airplay stuff, but can be buggy), currently has more developer focus.
harryzimm Wrote:As for playback, i have no trouble with any 720p content, only some 1080p movies. Thats from 660 movies and 60 odd tv shows.

however..

I just switched from samba to nfs shares today and now i can playback my avatar rip which is 27gb 1080p. I havent been able to fully test this yet but any 1080p movie i had problems playing before now works great

HOW?! I've got an AppleTV2 streaming from NFS shares and it stutters on over 50% of my 720p content. 1080p would be absolutely out of the question. The computer and AppleTV2 are both plugged in via CAT6... so it's not a network issue. How the hell are you making XBMC actually work like that when I can't even come close?

EDIT: Disregard this comment as I was able to figure out my issues... works pretty great now!
stingray88 Wrote:HOW?! I've got an AppleTV2 streaming from NFS shares and it stutters on over 50% of my 720p content. 1080p would be absolutely out of the question. The computer and AppleTV2 are both plugged in via CAT6... so it's not a network issue. How the hell are you making XBMC actually work like that when I can't even come close?

In short OP... I'm extremely disappointed in my ATV2. 1080p content? Hell no.

You have a network problem, plain and simple. Does not matter if you are using CAT5 or CAT6. I see this time and time again. user complains about stuttering... then finds their server/router/<insert net device> was causing problems.
davilla Wrote:You have a network problem, plain and simple. Does not matter if you are using CAT5 or CAT6. I see this time and time again. user complains about stuttering... then finds their server/router/<insert net device> was causing problems.

So I really thought you were wrong. But I just played a 90 second clip locally on the ATV2 and it worked fine... Can anyone help me figure out what my issue might be then?

EDIT: Ahhh I wasn't wrong! I went and put that very same clip on my network space and it plays fine! So it isn't a network issue that is happening, it is indeed a problem with XBMC trying to play large files.

EDIT2: Holy crap... I fixed it in the most insanely trivial way. If I simply pause the video for 1 second after loading it, then hit play again, the video loads perfectly fine.
stingray88 Wrote:So I really thought you were wrong. But I just played a 90 second clip locally on the ATV2 and it worked fine... Can anyone help me figure out what my issue might be then?

EDIT: Ahhh I wasn't wrong! I went and put that very same clip on my network space and it plays fine! So it isn't a network issue that is happening, it is indeed a problem with XBMC trying to play large files.

EDIT2: Holy crap... I fixed it in the most insanely trivial way. If I simply pause the video for 1 second after loading it, then hit play again, the video loads perfectly fine.

Sounds like a network problem to me. Your solution is merely allowing the ATV2 to buffer on what sounds like a flaky network.
shamxbmc5 Wrote:Hi, so I'm currently using a macbook (first gen) and for some reason things are skipping badly.. when they used not to.

It's not a big deal, the thing is on it's way out, but I do want to keep XBMC and I'd rather not buy a new PC.

I see a lot of post about the ATV2 and how it stutters at 1080p. I can almost live with that, but I would expect 720p to be pristine - is that the case?

Also, why are some people buying ATV1 when they could just buy the ATV2?

For the money you cant go wrong, it has a native xbmc running and I play 1080p just fine. It has issues(not with 1080p, in general I mean) but development is underway, I love icefilms and xbmc, I would recommend for anyone.
Must agree with harryzimm, i also got two ATV2 and they play 1080p movies flawlessly (Yes, sometimes there are problems Smile )
ProphetVX Wrote:Sounds like a network problem to me. Your solution is merely allowing the ATV2 to buffer on what sounds like a flaky network.

Nah, that isn't the case. I realized the first time I made a clip, I had changed it slightly. So I made another real 90 second clip of one of my problematic files and put it on the ATV2, still messes up until I hit pause and play. So the network has nothing to do with it. (And honestly how could it... it's a brand new Airport Extreme with Cat6 plugged into the computer source and ATV2...)

It has to be a bug in XBMC. However it's so easy to get around... doesn't bother me.
ATV2 worth it? Without a doubt. I'm about to add another to my office to watch shows/movies while on the treadmill. I have found about 5 movies so far that it will begin to play then crash to Front Row. I'm not sure what is causing it but it happens. All of which are 1080p. With that said, I have plenty of other 1080p movies that play just fine without ever buffering. And all of my TV shows work great as well 720p/1080p.
stingray88 Wrote:Nah, that isn't the case. I realized the first time I made a clip, I had changed it slightly. So I made another real 90 second clip of one of my problematic files and put it on the ATV2, still messes up until I hit pause and play. So the network has nothing to do with it. (And honestly how could it... it's a brand new Airport Extreme with Cat6 plugged into the computer source and ATV2...)

It has to be a bug in XBMC. However it's so easy to get around... doesn't bother me.

It doesn't matter how good your hardware is if it isn't configured correctly. There is no chance that 50% of your 720p videos are problematic and it's related to XBMC. I have a collection of over 1000 videos in 720p or 1080p, and since the inclusion of NFS I've had one problematic 1080p video (occasional buffer issues but may be media related), the rest played flawlessly. Even over wifi I do not have issues (I have 3 ATV'S and one openelec box, all can play HD media from the same NAS simultaneously).

The occasional problem may be media or xbmc related, but having consistent issues like the ones you have described is 100% installation issues.
Networks can be finicky. when xbmc starts playing a video, it's the most demanding time, for cpu, for gpu and for network. xbmc is going to pull video content as fast as it can. It has to feed decoders and also fill buffers.

So you have to consider a) demand and b) sustain.

Most "network" tools only show simple things like average bytes per second. With this you only know the average bytes per second and not the ability to handle high demand.
To go back to topic: as I wrote in another thread, the very best thing of the AppleTV (version 2 in my case) is it's tiny power consumption and therefore the absolute absence of noise! Cooler fans bugged me a lot in the past (with other HTPCs running XBMC) so this is my personal heaven! Smile

Though I don't know how it goes in other countries, in germany electricity is f**g expensive. So the atv2 is a double goal!
I'm a long-time user of XBMC (on the XBox classic, followed by the Acer Revo), but relatively new to using XBMC on the aTV2. I just jailbroke two of my three aTV's in the last week and have been super-impressed. My experience has been that many (most?) of my 1080p uncompressed Blu-ray rips seem to play smoothly over ethernet, but I've only played several for a few minutes (I'm still in testing mode) so I haven't watched any of them from end to end.

A couple of my rips have been problematic. My Avatar MKV rip with subtitles is super-stuttery right from the get-go. Iron Man, also with subtitles, seemed to be problematic, but when I turned off subtitles within XBMC, it seemed like it might play smoothly. All of this is over SMB shares.

So, my reason for posting now is to get a better understanding as to what the currently-known general guidelines are as to what XBMC is known to be capable of and known to have problems with. Someone in this thread mentioned NFS offering an improvement over SMB. Is that a known thing (davillaHuh) or should I chalk that up as one user's non-scientific experience?

What about subtitles? Is there a known way to get uncompressed 1080p Blu-ray rips with forced subs working smoothly with the aTV 2G or, conversely, is that a definite no-can-do?

What about 1080p output? Is that already a well-known hardware limitation that will never be overcome, or is that something the devs think might be a possibility in the future but which simply doesn't work today?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[atv2] ATV2: worth it? how's the 1080p?0