[ATV2] Large HD videos stutter and drop frames over SMB
Guys, search the posts.

Someone, I forgot who, figured out the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule supports a very crappy version of the SMB protocol, some netbsd based thing.

It is not Samba. It does not perform well.

There's nothing we can do about that. Get a better device to stream media from, or help with getting AFP going. Maybe it'll be better.
I deleted the previous clip after I got everything working. But here is a new clip made from the same source file. It exhibits the same buggy attitude locally or networked.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5826201/Game%20o...mkv.tar.gz
keith Wrote:Guys, search the posts.

Someone, I forgot who, figured out the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule supports a very crappy version of the SMB protocol, some netbsd based thing.

There's nothing we can do about that. Get a better device to stream media from, or help with getting AFP going. Maybe it'll be better.

First off, I'm not using Samba, I'm using NFS. That was detailed in this thread. Second, this issue exists in Samba and NFS, in fact the streaming is identical with either protocol on my network. Neither is really better than the other. Third, whoever told you that the AE and TC support crappy versions of SMB is misinformed entirely.

I don't need a better device, Airport Extremes are highly capable routers. Again, as has been stated many times. The issue here is NOT my network, as I get the exact same experience when playing clips of the media locally on the ATV2. XBMC/ATV2 is where the problem lies. But it's really not a big issue... I've figured out how to get around it and it doesn't even happen on EVERY file I play. Just some of them.
keith Wrote:Guys, search the posts.

I don't believe it. Never had an issue with my USB drive via airport extreme. I have heard that they have slower USB ports, but it has yet to be an issue for my 720 content.
stingray88 Wrote:First off, I'm not using Samba, I'm using NFS. That was detailed in this thread. Second, this issue exists in Samba and NFS, in fact the streaming is identical with either protocol on my network. Neither is really better than the other. Third, whoever told you that the AE and TC support crappy versions of SMB is misinformed entirely.

I don't need a better device, Airport Extremes are highly capable routers. Again, as has been stated many times. The issue here is NOT my network, as I get the exact same experience when playing clips of the media locally on the ATV2. XBMC/ATV2 is where the problem lies. But it's really not a big issue... I've figured out how to get around it and it doesn't even happen on EVERY file I play. Just some of them.

You could try setting "video sync" to "audio" in XBMC settings. I had the same problem (very capable network, sluggerish playback for some files) and it seems to have to to with the refresh rate (24 FPS avis, 60 Hz TV).
stingray88 Wrote:I deleted the previous clip after I got everything working. But here is a new clip made from the same source file. It exhibits the same buggy attitude locally or networked.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5826201/Game%20o...mkv.tar.gz

davilla? May you have a look at that one:

http://pastebin.com/38rTFrJf

This video clip seems b0rked to me because it plays on sec 2 to 3 and jumps back to sec 2 ... when i seek it jutters - feels like vtb doesn't accelerate that one.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I have exactly the same problem on [WINDOWS 7]. DVD files ok, big files no good. Black screen with sound. Also, when I exit to the menu, the movie plays in the background, but when I put the movie, it does not work. I was almost happy when I saw he said that pausing the video worked, but that didn't do the trick for me :/
The files are in my internal hard drive.
AHHH now it works... All my movie work for some reason and don't know how. I started messing with the configurations for synching, but mostly random stuff so don't know what I did if I did anything... well, if the problem comes back, I'll post something
Memphiz Wrote:davilla? May you have a look at that one:

http://pastebin.com/38rTFrJf

This video clip seems b0rked to me because it plays on sec 2 to 3 and jumps back to sec 2 ... when i seek it jutters - feels like vtb doesn't accelerate that one.

plays fine for me on both osx (vda) and ios (vtb). using trunk code.
stingray88 Wrote:First off, I'm not using Samba, I'm using NFS. That was detailed in this thread. Second, this issue exists in Samba and NFS, in fact the streaming is identical with either protocol on my network. Neither is really better than the other. Third, whoever told you that the AE and TC support crappy versions of SMB is misinformed entirely.

Just because *your experience* is different than others doesn't dispute the fact that AE/TC's ship with a NetBSD version of the SMB protocol which is sub-par compared to actual Samba.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=816...stcount=25

and AE's being 'highly capable routers' is hilarious. They don't even support QoS. I own a Airport Express and a Time Capsule, easily the worst networking devices I've ever owned. Even a basic WRT54G (besides on the dual-band wifi part) vastly exceeds any networking capabilities of anything Apple has ever produced. They're barely ok consumer devices.

And to bring relevance back to the thread, I watch 'Large HD videos' via SMB no problem.
And when I sau Large, I mean x264 MKV's at 1080p resolution, with bitrates around 20mbit.
davilla Wrote:plays fine for me on both osx (vda) and ios (vtb). using trunk code.

nevermind ... i had only tested on ipad and forgot that i had a debug build without gcc optimisation on it Wink ... plays ok for me absolutly smooth on atv2... (tested both the stereo and the 5.1 audio line)...

stingray: no idea why it has such problems on your side ... did u use seas0npass for jealbraiking the atv2?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
keith Wrote:Just because *your experience* is different than others doesn't dispute the fact that AE/TC's ship with a NetBSD version of the SMB protocol which is sub-par compared to actual Samba.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=816...stcount=25

and AE's being 'highly capable routers' is hilarious. They don't even support QoS. I own a Airport Express and a Time Capsule, easily the worst networking devices I've ever owned. Even a basic WRT54G (besides on the dual-band wifi part) vastly exceeds any networking capabilities of anything Apple has ever produced. They're barely ok consumer devices.

And to bring relevance back to the thread, I watch 'Large HD videos' via SMB no problem.
And when I sau Large, I mean x264 MKV's at 1080p resolution, with bitrates around 20mbit.

Lol, you're a joke. Don't make me laugh. Find me gigabit, simultaneous dual band, draft N router with a USB port at a similar price point and we'll talk. They are absolutely highly capable routers.

And to go back to topic, I already stated that SMB wasn't the problem. Read the full thread. NFS isn't the problem either... and for the millionth time, the whole network isn't the problem. I tested it locally and XBMC exhibited the same issue. So it's a bug within XBMC pertaining to certain media files.

I too can stream x264 MKVs at 1080p without a hiccup... as long as it isn't one of the few files affected by this bug... and if it is, a simple play/pause fixes. And again, since people aren't reading apparently... it's not a network issue, because the SAME issue happens locally with the SAME files.
Memphiz Wrote:nevermind ... i had only tested on ipad and forgot that i had a debug build without gcc optimisation on it Wink ... plays ok for me absolutly smooth on atv2... (tested both the stereo and the 5.1 audio line)...

stingray: no idea why it has such problems on your side ... did u use seas0npass for jealbraiking the atv2?

Yes I used seas0npass.
mhh good ... then just for making one more joke - i bet its a network issue Wink - this could be the running gag of this thread :d

so whatever it is - we can't reprodue the behaviour with your test video here - this makes it nearly undoable for helping you Sad
stingray88 Wrote:Lol, you're a joke. Don't make me laugh. Find me gigabit, simultaneous dual band, draft N router with a USB port at a similar price point and we'll talk. They are absolutely highly capable routers.
What does price point have to do with the quality of the product in relation to it's ability communicate with devices?

The AE is a run of the mill router, nothing special. The issues you describe certainly are installation or media based and not XBMC based, you don't need to take offence to the comments, you would be much better served taking them onboard.

Earlier you said 50% of your 720p videos are problematic. That certainly indicates a significant problem outside of XBMC, I'm not sure where you got your media from but if it's not network related I'd suggest you re-look at how you encode your media.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Large HD videos stutter and drop frames over SMB0