Filter / Sort by Composer/Conductor/Publisher in Music Library using ID3 tags?
Lightbulb 
xbmc is not really thought to browse classical music imho.

currently, unless i missed something, the composer tag is ignored. and i think it is quite more sensible to look under ludwig van beethoven (composer) instead of paul kletzki (orchestra director) when looking for the heroic symphony. tagging incorrectly all my music is not an option.

still, of course, i want to be able to browse works either by kletzki and by beethoven.

so ideally, though, what i would really love to see is intelligent listing, where browsing by artist would list both artists and composers, and so being able to reach a work either through the artist performing it or through its composer, in the same screen, and without having to change view mode. (how i would make a difference then of different "heroic symphonies" under beethoven, performed each by a different artist, i do not know…). this is so, because pretty much all non-classical music i have has blank composer tags, so adding a "browse by composer" view mode would not be quite practical imho.

anyhow, thanks for the dreambox.

ps: posted it at sourceforge too, btw.
that is true, and it would be a worthy addition.

it would involve a reasonably amount of work - there are all the tag readers to be updated as well as the database etc.

i envisage keeping it separate from artists - reason being that we have the nice new nav view (thanks to kraqh3d) where this would slot right in. similar to how the ipod interface works. it would be at the same "level" as artist, but would probably not be linked to via genres as this isn't really practical.

from a specific composer, it would then list the albums, and from there the songs.

we must first start by implementing the reading of the composer tags in all the tagreaders, then we can look into adding a composer table to the database and move from there.

btw: is there much chance of needing a "multiple composer" tag? currently xbmc supports multiple artists and genres, and i figure that multiple composers may well be required as well?? if so, it means a lot more code to add to the database stuff Sad

i don't really have time to look into it at the moment. you don't happen to code do you?

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

As mentioned above, this improvement would be really great for anyone wanting to listen to classical music.

Currently working with artists and albums just isn't effective when you can have one composers work recorded by many different artists (orchestras) and you can have dozens of albums with the same name (e.g. Symphony #1).

As JMarshall mentioned, the iPod does this really well. I always have Composers in my root menu. Start here, choose, say, Mozart, then, for example, Symphony #41, then track 1.

I have to admit I am a total newb and not in any position to edit source code and re-compile so am relying on a sympathetic developer with a taste for classical music! Any chance I might be in luck?

Thanks in advance.
Michael
Wow, way to revive a very old request!

For clarification, what whould be the navigation scheme? Composer -> Title -> All tracks by any orchestra (artist) with matching title?

In your example, choosing Symphony #41 should produce such a listing, correct? (Albums don't really make much sense.)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Symphony #41 I presume is the "album" in this case.

Perhaps listing how most classical music is tagged might allow kraqh3d and I (and anyone else interested) to come up with the easiest way to get it done.

Not saying it will be done ofcourse, but I'm more than happy to layout the how it could/should be done side of things.

Cheers,
Jonathan

It's kind of a pseudo-album in the navigation scheme as its a collection of songs, but I don't think its an actual album tag. But please confirm this. The more detail, the better.
Agreed - actual samples would be of most benefit.

Is it to possible to activate composer and publisher to browse in the music library.
Most of the mp3s that I have ripped has these two categories filled in, I'm most interested in the composer category. I follow them just as much as the artists, like Timbaland who is known for composing music in many genres from rap, r&b, and pop, also being in a studio alot one is always curius who composed/produced this such and such song.
Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this up again, we'd forgotten all about it. :p

I understand that you're wanting to drum up support for this, but as I stated last time around, it isn't going to happen unless a developer takes interest, and clearly noone has as yet. Didn't you also post a feature request on SF (which will now be on trac). Perhaps you could track it down and bump that?

Cheers,
Jonathan

wow. i remember this being discussed multiple times. sign me up but i can give no time commitments as yet. and i'll need some sample files to play with. (and please search the other threads, and link them here so we can keep track of everything. once we work out the organization, the rest is kind of easy.)
jmarshall Wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this up again, we'd forgotten all about it. :p

I understand that you're wanting to drum up support for this, but as I stated last time around, it isn't going to happen unless a developer takes interest, and clearly noone has as yet. Didn't you also post a feature request on SF (which will now be on trac). Perhaps you could track it down and bump that?

Cheers,
Jonathan

I Dont think i ever posted on that trac page but i believe i made at least 2-3 threads within couple years on this feature, originally i asked the developers if they can add a category called producer to browse , i added this category to all my r&b, pop, and rap albums/songs. Think i was told it was not possible because this category was not part of a mp3 file. I think in another thread i asked if it is possible for xbmc to scan an mp3 file and have the option to turn on or off the categories that i want to browse.
Hi again

Very excited to see my post kicked up some activity! Sorry I did not respond sooner.

Re the browsing scheme, I think the iPod navigation scheme works nicely here.

Composer -> Albums (with option for all) -> Track Listing

This normally is how you would choose classical music in my experience. You are primarily interested in the composer then the piece (hmm, I think I need some Mozart to chill out, a Piano Concerto would be cool (album), lets start with the second movement (track) - that kind of thing).

Artist tends to be less relevant unless you have multiple recordings of the same piece, which is possible, but I think it important not to have to navigate by Artist, as certainly for myself, I can never remember who performed the music I am looking for, just who composed it. I think is distinct from from non-classical music, where you will probably know your artist first.

Re the samples, is there anything I can provide here to be of help?

Anyway, all input is really appreciated!

Many thanks again.
Michael
Feel free to add a short sample (probably only the start of the track is needed) to the trac ticket - it's assigned to me.

Many thanks jmarshall. I have attached 3 clips to the ticket. HTH. 2 composers between them. Let me know if any more would help.

Btw, I would also add that re the discussion about album names, I tend to find that working with the album as the actual CD you go the recording off is sometimes not the best way to later tag and navigate through your music, so the name of the piece is usually better (esp as classical pieces tend to have multiple movements or parts that come as individual tracks).

For example, I could buy an album that has 2 works by the same composer, each with 4 tracks, or indeed 2 works by different composers, each with 4 tracks, or pretty much anything! However, the album tag will have to say something like "Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto 1 and Sibelius Violin Concerto 2", which is annoying later.

So what I tend to do is always set the "album" tag to be the name of the specific work, not by the actual CD album that it came on. So in this example, tracks 1-4 get re-tagged "Violin Concerto 1" and tracks 5-8 get re-tagged "Violin Concerto 2". Because you are likely to be navigating by composer first, you don't need to see the composer in the album tag. Going by what Gracenote has on file for classical albums, there is no standard way of doing this (in fact there is a lot of terrible junk on there in this area!) but this system tends to work 99% of the time on the iPod for me and for others I know who listen to classical music.

HTH
Browse Custom Fields in an Mp3 File (Publisher & Producer)
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5948

Would Like to be able to browse other custom fields in a mp3 file within the Music Library. Mainly Publisher/Label and Producer.
Producer is the person that actually makes the music which is just as important as the singer/artist. Here are some examples of producers in the music Industry: The Neptunes, Tricky Stewart, Pharrell Williams, Timbaland, Dr. Dre, Kanye West etc.. Some of these producers jump genres from Rap to pop and even rock. Would really like to have this feature in xbmc. Now for Publisher, when ripping from a cd this field is automatically filled in with appropiate information just not browseable in Xbmc.

Example: Browse By..
Genre
Artists
Year
Publisher/Label
Producer
Playlists

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filter / Sort by Composer/Conductor/Publisher in Music Library using ID3 tags?1