Filter / Sort by Composer/Conductor/Publisher in Music Library using ID3 tags?
Come on, a great challenge for a good dev-guru. Fame and glory are the price Big Grin
I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm a decent programmer but have zero XBMC experience (and C is a while ago, mainly python nowadays).

Is there a getting started guide to start with programming and building XMBC?

Can someone point me to the source files where library stuff happens?

Cheers,

Wouter
Hi vanatteveldt,

great to know there's a dev out there who actually is interested in this issue. Have you been able to look into this yet? Did you see jmarshall's post from above?
Has there been any further development on this. I was hoping to use xbmc as a front end for my dads classical music collection.

I did come across this patch but I have no idea what to do with it?
http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/1...sers.patch

Thanks
I just wanted to bump this thread. I still think this is a wierd ommission from XBMC that you cannot browse music by composer. Other media players have it and if you have any classical mussic in your collection it is really vital to find what you want.
Are there any devs out there up for putting this into the next release? It would be much appreciated by all the XMBC users out there who like a bit of classical music now and then!
Many thanks
Michael
With the caveat that I haven't yet done any coding for XBMC, I'd be willing to give this a shot. Seems to me that the best way to proceed would be to provide support for arbitrary tags rather than just the Composer tag. Otherwise we'll have to go through this whole process again when somebody wants to add the Soloists, Opus, Instrument, Performer, Producer, Sound Engineer, Venue, Movement, etc. tags.

So I guess we'd need to add a table (let's call it MetaTag) with the primary key of the song along with tagName and tagValue strings. If we wanted to have some sort of validation on names/values that could all be stuffed in an XML file with different permissible values for each file type. I'm guessing this would be necessary for some file types (like MIDI) more than others (FLAC/MP3). I suppose we could create views to speed up queries against particular tagName(s). But I'm not a DBA and I haven't ever worked with SQLite, so maybe that's not the best idea.

Does that sound feasible? Or is the concept so flawed that I shouldn't even bother starting?

I just found this thread when looking for a way to store classical music in XBMC.
I never had any problems with XBMC in relation with the music library until I decided to add my classical albums and musicals to it. Sofar I had only rock music in the library.

I discovered then that XBMC gathers only a fraction of the information that is available in the mp3-tags. Apart from artist and title, it only seems to store genre, year and comments. No composers, no directors, nothingShocked I was even a bit shocked because compared to the Movie Library, the Music Library is quite limited.

I don't know much about coding but it seems to me the first thing that needs to be done is to have all that information available in XBMC. A good starting point would be to have full support of all the ID3 v2.4 native frames (http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames). With that, using filters and smart playlists, we can start to organise our library.
Unfortunately, it seems that most people who would like such an option are not programmers and most programmers are not interested in thisConfused
Allard
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Is there any chance to solve this issue with Gotham release?
I would highly appreciate more support of the ID3 Tags in the music library in further releases like chryses wrote 2 posts above.
Also that more settings were considered to control the look of the Music section.
For example:
To have a setting where I can determine the sort of the artists by id3 Tag: 'artist' or 'artist sort field'
I do agree.
We have, into the MyMusic database an artist file with a musicbrainz artist id.
And, in musicbarianz file a sortartist field.

Could it be possible to create this one into xbmc and scrap the musicbrainz info, and then, have the possibility to sort ?
Why not go one step further and add support for custom tags that you can add in software like Foobar2000? I use this feature quite heavily when tagging electronic radioshows / podcasts with broadcast dates and episode numbers.
I would be *very* happy when the "Sort by Composer" function will be added as I only listen to classical music. So I keep stuck on iTunes, using Airplay to my stream to my cubox running xbmc.
please consider this small addition, taking into account that it's not disturbing for people not using it, not such a large amount of work (update databases is basically adding 1 column, patch has been partially written in old ages http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/1...sers.patch, maybe the most complicated is UI changment and options to replace Artist by Composer or to add Composer between Album and Artist).

thank you in advance.
(2014-08-04, 00:54)amx0 Wrote: I would be *very* happy when the "Sort by Composer" function will be added as I only listen to classical music. So I keep stuck on iTunes, using Airplay to my stream to my cubox running xbmc.
please consider this small addition, taking into account that it's not disturbing for people not using it, not such a large amount of work (update databases is basically adding 1 column, patch has been partially written in old ages http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/1...sers.patch, maybe the most complicated is UI changment and options to replace Artist by Composer or to add Composer between Album and Artist).

thank you in advance.

Yes please. Make it smooth to browse the UI by composer etc. when these tags are used by the files in the library.
Is this supported by DLNA? Then please add it there too.

thank you

Christoph
I was looking for alternatives to MediaMonkey and MusicBee, both of which I dislike, and found Kodi. I installed it and noticed that there is no Composer view, so I searched and found this ancient post.

I am a retired software engineer and a classical music lover, and so, before committing to anything, I would like to find out how much work this is likely to be. I have written code in over 25 languages during a 45 year career in the software business, but Murphy's Law says that Kodi is probably not written in any of them.

Where do I get started?

Chris
(2015-11-13, 23:56)chrisgage Wrote: I was looking for alternatives to MediaMonkey and MusicBee, both of which I dislike, and found Kodi. I installed it and noticed that there is no Composer view, so I searched and found this ancient post.

I am a retired software engineer and a classical music lover, and so, before committing to anything, I would like to find out how much work this is likely to be. I have written code in over 25 languages during a 45 year career in the software business, but Murphy's Law says that Kodi is probably not written in any of them.

Where do I get started?

Chris
There's already a pr trying to fix this missing feature. It's a work in progress so maybe you can help the dev
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8015
Hi all.
I am returning to this thread after 3 years away, and 8 years since my first post, and OMG 10 years since the first post! Go XBMC/Kodi!
@chrisgage, go for it! Please Smile
This feature is so sorely missed by anyone who listens to classical music.
My hunch is that as Kodi lives longer, its user demographic changes and people will care about this more and more. Or something like that!
Anyway guys, I would be super-grateful if you could code this into the next rev of Kodi.
Many thanks for your efforts in advance.
Michael

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filter / Sort by Composer/Conductor/Publisher in Music Library using ID3 tags?1