Make XBMC run smoother
Hi!

I have had XBMC running on my Revo (R3610, Atom 330, 2GB RAM)
It works pretty well but I would like to help it a little bit :-)

What additions/changes would you recommend that would assist HD playback.

Thanks!
I would say RAM possible... also make sure you have turned everything else off. is it a windows machine? is it a live box?

SoBBie
Did you try enabling DXVA in XBMC? I think it's disabled by default. Goto System\Video\Playback
Thanks for the reply. I have enabled the DXVA. It's running on windows. What do you mean by turn everything else off? Would ram make a big difference?

Cheers!
I would do some research on windows 7 and turn off all the fancy stuff it comes with. Little things like turning off areo, removing unused services (try a site like this http://www.blackviper.com/category/guides/windows-7/), and make sure you dont have extra stuff (other programs; scheduled virus scans; ect.) running on it.

If you add ram something you may want to turn of (at least I always did this in XP) is the page file. if you have 4GB Ram then turn off the pagefile and then only the ram will be used.

Good Luck,
SoBBie

RAM always makes a machine run faster also please note that 2GB RAM is a minimum requirement. That means that a little extra would help.
Great! Thanks for your reply. I will give that all a go and report back on the results! Thanks!
hardware acceleration (dxva2 on win) is the only thing that will let you play HD content on Atom. more Ram will probably not change much, as long as you do not run other progs in the background.
More ram won't help?
I believe more RAM will help the XBMC interface more then the movie playback. Remember the XBMC interface is still running when playing a movie so it may have a little impact on video playback. also during playback many skins have a info screen and pause info, which all takes up extra RAM.

In general RAM always makes a computer run a little faster. At least that is my experience.

Have a great weekend.

SoBBie

One other thing you may want to make sure you have a good video driver and also have it tweaked to perform the best on your computer, once again you would have to research which to use on the web.
2GB RAM is plenty for xbmc.. We are extremely conservative with RAM usage (a bit to much so even). We work just fine on 256MB RAM even.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Great! Thanks.

I got told to assign 512MB of the ram to gpu buffer size in the bios. Was that the right thing to do?
Wrooty Wrote:Great! Thanks.

I got told to assign 512MB of the ram to gpu buffer size in the bios. Was that the right thing to do?

Yes its fine, 512MB dedicated to video card is pretty much standard. Personally Im sorry I cant add more.
X3lectric Wrote:Yes its fine, 512MB dedicated to video card is pretty much standard. Personally Im sorry I cant add more.

thats a waste of RAM imho, xbmc will never make use of that. Its not a game with loads of big textures. I personally use 256MB and its still plenty, probably 64MB would do.
I will give 256 a go and see if there is a performance drop.
wsnipex Wrote:thats a waste of RAM imho, xbmc will never make use of that. Its not a game with loads of big textures. I personally use 256MB and its still plenty, probably 64MB would do.

XBMC no but hw acceleration will byte more, and scrapping alone wooof

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make XBMC run smoother0