Make XBMC run smoother
X3lectric Wrote:Now, I'll serve as the devils advocate.

Despite the Acer and asrock Sharing a great deal and common hardware wise and being manufactured by same company (Pegratron), the Bioses are different in fact quite different...

If it is wise to use a tool from a completely different company made to work with their bioses and hardware tweaks, is this even wise for a marginal gain that will be hardly noticeable?

Not to mention Atom overclock can be done natively in the system bios without risky or potential damaging HACKS.

Like a wise man once said.

But if I had money to burn sure...

I have the acer 3600 230. It normally runs at 1.6ghz. I have it OC'd to 1.8ghz using the Asrock tool. I have been doing this for 2 years without a problem. There have been many discussions regarding this over the last couple of years and nobody has ever had a problem. It does give this unit a nice little boost. OC at your own risk.

As far as this ACER unit is concerned there is not a way to OC in the BIOS or I would have done it Smile If you can, I sure would like to know how. Smile
as for drivers use this

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config -y
sudo add-apt-repository [b]ppa:team-iquik/nvidia-vpau
apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev[/b]

or

[b]sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev[/b]
That should suffice Wink

give it a bit I sent the newest nvidia drivers form XBMCLive 275.19 and nvidia-settings 275.19 the 64 bit build servers are a bit congested and this is being built on staging ppa.

mrfatboy Wrote:I have the acer 3600 230. It normally runs at 1.6ghz. I have it OC'd to 1.8ghz using the Asrock tool. I have been doing this for 2 years without a problem. There have been many discussions regarding this over the last couple of years and nobody has ever had a problem. It does give this unit a nice little boost. OC at your own risk.

As far as this ACER unit is concerned there is not a way to OC in the BIOS or I would have done it Smile If you can, I sure would like to know how. Smile

Ah yes, overclock at own risk...

Also the OP's machine is a Acer 3610 330 ATOM (check it dual core 4 threads) not a 230 ATOM (check it single core 2 threads) which is a somewhat (significantly) different. Anyways its not my decision to make, but offering potential destructive tips is hardly a wise thing to do.

the 230 only has a 512Kb L2 cache the 330 has 2x512KB L2 cache which should make a enough difference. Not to mention the 230 runs at 4W and the 330 at 8W

\\Edit ALso significantly the Atom 330 has 97million transistors vs 47 million on 230... honestly... not even a fair fight even if you overclock yours.
X3lectric Wrote:as for drivers use this

Code:
sudo aptitude install python-software-properties pkg-config -y
apt-get update

or

[b]sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev[/b]
That should suffice Wink

give it a bit I sent the newest nvidia drivers form XBMCLive 275.19 and nvidia-settings 275.19 the 64 bit build servers are a bit congested and this is being built on staging ppa.

I get "aptitude: command not found"
Wrooty Wrote:I get "aptitude: command not found"

use apt-get

If you upgrade now you will get nvidia drivers for xbmclive 275.09.07 as well same version nvidia-settings, only vdpau is 0.4.1

if you wait until the 275.19 are up you wont need to repeat this. but again you need to be running XBMCLive foorm the official instal iso form xbmc.org/downloads

like I said the 64 bit ububtu servers are a bit behind. around 10 hours of waiting.
I suspect your version of ubuntu is superior to what the drivers I have built, Im waiting for your confirmation so I know what to advise best.
Thanks. I do appreciate it!
I have just looked at my current drivers. I am on Ubuntu 10.10 with Linux-x86 and my Nvidia drivers are 260.19.06.

I take it this means i am behind a bit? :-)
Ok like I said the build servers are a bit behind so please wait util the full nvidia-settings and nvidia-current 275.19 are both completely built.

your a bit behind but I dont build drivers for 10.10 however x-swat does... oher people use it. If it breaks something talk to them.... below is what you need to know

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository [b]ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates[/b]
[b] apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade nvidia-current nvidia-settings[/b]

or

[b]sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings[/b]
They also dont build libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev for maverick (what is responsible for hardware accelerated playback for HD files.

good luck with them and maverick.
X3lectric Wrote:as for drivers use this

Code:
apt-get update

or

That should suffice Wink

Ah yes, overclock at own risk...

Also the OP's machine is a Acer 3610 330 ATOM (check it dual core 4 threads) not a 230 ATOM (check it single core 2 threads) which is a somewhat (significantly) different. Anyways its not my decision to make, but offering potential destructive tips is hardly a wise thing to do.

the 230 only has a 512Kb L2 cache the 330 has 2x512KB L2 cache which should make a enough difference. Not to mention the 230 runs at 4W and the 330 at 8W

\\Edit ALso significantly the Atom 330 has 97million transistors vs 47 million on 230... honestly... not even a fair fight even if you overclock yours.

It works on the 330 also.
@ fatboy

Its not my decision to make, I wouldnt use that in a million years (because I have overclock available I actually have a asrock system), if other users want to its their choice.

cheers

this is my stop here.
X3lectric Wrote:Ok like I said the build servers are a bit behind so please wait util the full nvidia-settings and nvidia-current 275.19 are both completely built.

your a bit behind but I dont build drivers for 10.10 however x-swat does... oher people use it. If it breaks something talk to them.... below is what you need to know

Code:
[b] apt-get update

or

[b]sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings[/b]
They also dont build libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev for maverick (what is responsible for hardware accelerated playback for HD files.

good luck with them and maverick.

Would you mind clearing up a few things for me. When you say the build servers are behind for the full nvidia-settings, what do you mean?

Also if I do what is below will I need to do anything else. or do i have todo something with this "They also dont build libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev for maverick (what is responsible for hardware accelerated playback for HD files."

Code:
[b] apt-get update

I apoligise but I am really quite confused.
X3lectric Wrote:@ fatboy

Its not my decision to make, I wouldnt use that in a million years (because I have overclock available I actually have a asrock system), if other users want to its their choice.

cheers

this is my stop here.

I never said it was your decision to make. No one is forcing you to do it. I just gave an option that will increase the speed of the Acer units by overclocking. This option has worked since they came out.
short explanation (im VERY tired since havent slept for nearly two days)

ppa = personal packaging archives

when I upload something and build for 32bit or 64bit ubuntu uses virtual servers to build these packages, since they are hosted by canonical (the ppl who make ubuntu) since a lot of people use these servers they get backed up more info http://askubuntu.com/questions/3446/how-...cture-ppas

hers the servers in use (look under PPAS)

in windows for hw acceleration you have dxva2 in Linux for nvidia you have vdpau

me personally I dont package for all ubuntu os's e.g. lucid, maverick, natty etc, this is very time consuming and I can hardly concentrate, my head is bursting as is.

Other people or groups of people do other ppas, I work by myself because no one helps and tbh (better alone than in ill company)

In a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being max) I know about 1 or 2 about Linux, it took me over two years to learn, I read a lot and I googled. I suggest you do same.

Im gonna get some rest now. Im in UK as well, I havent slept since Friday from 3AM

cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make XBMC run smoother0