How does audio work with HTPCs
I currently have a WDTV media player and am looking to upgrade to XBMC.

But I have a question on how the audio works with HTPCs.

The way my setup is now: I connect the HDMI from the WDTV directly to the display device. This takes care of the video. For audio, I connect the audio out from the WDTV directly into my Harmon Kardon AVR 247 receiver.

This receiver is able to decode audio and video that is passed to it but I've never actually tested this out.

So when I move to a device that has XBMC loaded onto it, can I connect only the HDMI to my receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to my display device? ie. Does video and audio get passed through the HDMI port on HTPCs?

Or, would it have to be connected the way my WDTV is currently connected?
zenitramn Wrote:can I connect only the HDMI to my receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to my display device? ie. Does video and audio get passed through the HDMI port on HTPCs?

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Thats how it works on most setups.

I have an older reciever with no HDMI so I actually do the opposite - run HDMI into the TV from various sources including both HTPC and game system and coaxial digital out of the TV to the reciever. The reciever never changes its input channel and the TV changes the HDMI inputs - which is backwards from most folks but until my reciever dies it does the trick.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
seand Wrote:Thats how it works on most setups.

I have an older reciever with no HDMI so I actually do the opposite - run HDMI into the TV from various sources including both HTPC and game system and coaxial digital out of the TV to the reciever. The reciever never changes its input channel and the TV changes the HDMI inputs - which is backwards from most folks but until my reciever dies it does the trick.

I do basically the same thing, i use the TV as a HDMI switch.

I have one tos link coming from the TV to my bookshelf system since it only have one toslink input.

It works perfect for all my devices and make my life pretty simple.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

thanks for the feedback fellas...
Now I'm going to research and price out various systems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does audio work with HTPCs0