Reverting nfo files from IMDB link to structured format
Hello to all!

This aligns directly with a request I made on some threads on this forum (cant remember which one..) to be able to revert the movie.nfo files that Couchpotato creates to the standard structured file XBMC understands. Back when I first complained about the fact that CP creates a movie.nfo file with only the hyperlink to the IMDB page instead of filling the info properly, I mentioned that I wanted to have full control over what XBMC displays.

Now I can really complain. I experienced problems with all three Matrix movies.

I just realized that for some mysterious reasons, the information presented by XBMC before playing the movie (the description also called synopsis ?) was incorrect.

The movie.nfo file in the matrix folder (the first movie) has this in it:

Code:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/

which will bring you to the IMDB page of the movie. So I guess what normally happens is that XBMC retrieves via the internet (this is the first reason I want to "unplug XBMC for the web as much as I can) the movie description available on IMDB. From IMDB:

Code:
A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

The problem is that XBMC presents:

Code:
A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.  Also Negativefusion has to fight his natural instincts to realize his true natural attraction to boys.

WTH!? The second sentence is NOT on IMDB...

For the second matrix movie:

IMDB:

Code:
Neo and the rebel leaders estimate that they have 72 hours until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its inhabitants. During this, Neo must decide how he can save Trinity from a dark fate in his dreams.

XBMC:

Code:
Neo and the rebel leaders estimate that they have 72 hours until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its inhabitants. During this, Neo must decide how he can save Trinity from a dark fate in his dreams.  And Negativefusion realizes his dreams by dating a man.

And finally for the third movie:

IMDB:
Code:
The human city of Zion defends itself against the massive invasion of the machines as Neo fights to end the war at another front while also opposing the rogue Agent Smith.

XBMC:
Code:
The human city of Zion defends itself against the massive invasion of the machines as Neo fights to end the war at another front while also opposing the rogue Agent Smith. Negativefusion submits to the battle for his rear as he reveals his true loyalties and desires.  He submits to his feelings as he allows enemy forces to penetrate his outer rear doors.

OK this might seems funny but I'm rather frustrated because this has been pointed out to me by some friend's kids....

If anybody can explain whats going on with this crap I'd be happy to hear what wou have to say. Also I need to find a way to control what XBMC displays, and proof be made, I dont want to rely on the web, except for first retrieval.

Any automated tools to populate the nfo files? The format I'm looking to have is something like:

Code:
<movie>
        <title>Who knows</title>
        <originaltitle>Who knows for real</originaltitle>
        <sorttitle>Who knows 1</sorttitle>
        <set>Who knows trilogy</set>
        <rating>6.100000</rating>
        <year>2008</year>
        <top250>0</top250>
        <votes>50</votes>
        <outline>A look at the role of the Buckeye State in the 2004 Presidential Election.</outline>
        <plot>A look at the role of the Buckeye State in the 2004 Presidential Election.</plot>
        <tagline></tagline>
        <runtime>90 min</runtime>
        <thumb>http://ia.ec.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/25/65/31/10f.jpg</thumb>
        <mpaa>Not available</mpaa>
        <playcount>0</playcount>
        <watched>false</watched>
        <id>tt0432337</id>
        <filenameandpath>c:\Dummy_Movie_Files\Movies\...So Goes The Nation.avi</filenameandpath>
        <trailer></trailer>
        <genre></genre>
        <credits></credits>
        <fileinfo>
            <streamdetails>
                <video>
                    <codec>h264</codec>
                    <aspect>2.35</aspect>
                    <width>1920</width>
                    <height>816</height>
                </video>
                <audio>
                    <codec>ac3</codec>
                    <language>eng</language>
                    <channels>6</channels>
                </audio>
                <audio>
                    <codec>ac3</codec>
                    <language>spa</language>
                   <channels>2</channels>
                </audio>
                <subtitle>
                    <language>spa</language>
                </subtitle>
            </streamdetails>
        </fileinfo>
        <director>Adam Del Deo</director>
        <actor>
            <name>Paul Begala</name>
            <role>Himself</role>
        </actor>
        <actor>
            <name>George W. Bush</name>
            <role>Himself</role>
        </actor>
        <actor>
            <name>Mary Beth Cahill</name>
            <role>Herself</role>
        </actor>
        <actor>
            <name>Ed Gillespie</name>
            <role>Himself</role>
        </actor>
        <actor>
            <name>John Kerry</name>
            <role>Himself</role>
        </actor>
    </movie>

But CP does not create this kind of file so ALL my movies have nfo files with hyperlinks to the IMDB pages.... Filling all these by hand will take too long.
lmfao...this is great
Export the library (this will create the nfo), edit the files and re-import.
-
It looks like someone was trolling The Movie DB.

Here's the changelog for the matrix:
http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/603/changelog

Code:
2011-05-22 17:59:40 - EN - kingkearney - Overview - A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.
2011-05-21 04:25:42 - EN - scmichael - Overview - A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers. Also Negativefusion has to fight his natural instincts to realize his true natural attraction to boys.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Whoever idiot was "trolling" with IMDB needs to get a life, in the literal sense...

I'm away from my server but when I have access to it I'll try what you are suggesting!

Quote:lmfao...this is great
not at all...

Except your suggestion anything I can do to change the NFL files automatically without having to spend 200 hours on that?
lpallard Wrote:not at all...

A little? Rolleyes
Only kidding, I can see how it could be a problem for some.
I just got frustrated because people doing that stupid stuff often ignore who will "suffer" from it. If it was only me, trust me It'd take a lot more than that but since there is kids in the story that's why I got upset. Anyways I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

For the "offline" use of the movie.Nfo files do you know a program that could populate them quickly and save the result so I can see it before xbmc spits it out in front of my family and friends?
Or just delete and re add the movie. It looks like you magically scraped it in the 37 hours it was screwed up.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
lpallard Wrote:For the "offline" use of the movie.Nfo files do you know a program that could populate them quickly and save the result so I can see it before xbmc spits it out in front of my family and friends?

I've recently used Media Companion, with the caveat that it would not return the IMDB rating in the .nfo file. However, it may work fine for you. Everything else was spot on.

http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/relea...iewsAnchor
lpallard Wrote:Whoever idiot was "trolling" with IMDB needs to get a life, in the literal sense...

I understand you anger.
...but please note you are scraping from tmdb as pointed out above.
IMDb and TMDB are not the same thing.

...and unplugging XBMC from Internet? Just because of that? Sounds overkill to me.
However if you change to IMDb scraper, this couldn't really happen since trolling with IMDb is not as easy as with TMDB.
Just as an information, I have found a small utility written in perl that allows to scrape IMDB and dump the content to a nfo file... you can either dump to an XML structure or just plain text.

It works by tt####### identifiers and allows to be used in a bash script. So what I did is backup my nfo files that were created by couch potato, run my script that scans my movie repository and retrieves using grep and regex the tt###### from each movie.nfo file. Then within a loop it will retrieve the info from IMDB and save the content in the movie.nfo file..

Anyways seems to work but unfortunately I can't test with xbmc since I am currently moving and my Htpc is packed away in a storage ..
anybody can try the perl script and let us know how it interfaces with xbmc?

Link to the perl script: credits to the author!
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=45358
On a side note, anybody knows why CP is only retrieving the URL version of the nfo file instead of the full blown XML file? Is there a preference setting somewhere in CP?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reverting nfo files from IMDB link to structured format0