[ATV2] Total n00b, command line-free guide - install XBMC on a 4.2.2 (4.3) Apple TV 2
Lightbulb 
Hi, I just spent 7 hours on something that should have taken 10 minutes, and since I couldn't find a single simple and up to date tutorial here or anywhere I thought I'd make one so others can benefit. This require 0 command line.

This is really straightforward and valid as of 17 July 2011:

1- Buy an ATV2 Smile
2- Download and install the latest ITunes, reboot your pc
3- Download and extract snowbreeze 2-7-3 (http://j.mp/nVzFGR)
4- Download the 4.2.2 firmware - http://j.mp/nChSSB
5- Follow the instruction for the Jailbreak at http://j.mp/nJtlBb, KEEP YOUR ATV UNPLUGGED from the MAINS!! (they don't make that clear) - the usb can power it.
6- Start the ATV2 with the ethernet in, check you got the new tab, update 'nitotv'
7 - REBOOT by taking it off and back on the mains <<< this is important
8- In Nito TV install 'update be gone' and 'XBMC'.

It's done, it works, the XBMC build is dated 23 june (10-09) and you don't need to mess around with OS downgrades, nightlies, greenpoison, seasonpass, commandline, wget or voodoo magic Smile
wish you post this a couple of weeks ago.

it took me many hours to search for a working iOS 4.2.2 (AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F305_Restore.ipsw 319MB). many links only download the smaller-size iOS (less than 319MB) which cause Seas0nPass fail to jailbreak.

using Seas0nPass to jailbreak, instead of snowbreeze:
-Nito TV is not installed (not needed). I like it this way since I just want to install what I need. AVT2 is very limited in memory, and I like to keep it clean.
-No need to install "update be gone". This is needed before but now it is no longer needed with the latest XBMC, at least using Seas0nPass.
foxnews Wrote:-No need to install "update be gone". This is needed before but now it is no longer needed with the latest XBMC, at least using Seas0nPass.

Wrong! This is needed - else XBMC will crash again when apple pushes out a new update for the atv!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I know we don't want to encourage jailbreak talk on the forums, but since this is a total-steps-to-XBMC guide, a great one at that, and is very straight to the point, I think we should at least mention this on the wiki entry about how to install XBMC on the ATV2. Maybe as an alternative method?

The other day I told someone to "just check the stickies". I couldn't remember what exactly they said, but knew they pointed people in the right direction, so I checked it out again and... our instructions suck. We have an outdated "how to jailbreak" link followed by SSH commands. I felt bad for directing that guy to those instructions.
Yep, this is how I did mine when I upgraded the firmware to the latest last week. Good walkthrough for those starting out.
Ned Scott Wrote:I know we don't want to encourage jailbreak talk on the forums, but since this is a total-steps-to-XBMC guide, a great one at that, and is very straight to the point, I think we should at least mention this on the wiki entry about how to install XBMC on the ATV2. Maybe as an alternative method?

The other day I told someone to "just check the stickies". I couldn't remember what exactly they said, but knew they pointed people in the right direction, so I checked it out again and... our instructions suck. We have an outdated "how to jailbreak" link followed by SSH commands. I felt bad for directing that guy to those instructions.

jd2157 manages those stickies, so I will point him to this thread and he'll add it.
He may move this thread to off-topic, since it technically is (because we don't allow jailbreak talk here) But I'm leaving it up to him.
Memphiz Wrote:Wrong! This is needed - else XBMC will crash again when apple pushes out a new update for the atv!

Could someone point me in the direction of "update be gone"?

It's not something I've heard of before but sounds like I probably should install it...
Ragnarak Wrote:Could someone point me in the direction of "update be gone"?

It's not something I've heard of before but sounds like I probably should install it...

if you install nitotv it will be one of hte packages you can install.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
keith Wrote:jd2157 manages those stickies, so I will point him to this thread and he'll add it.
He may move this thread to off-topic, since it technically is (because we don't allow jailbreak talk here) But I'm leaving it up to him.

The plan is to overhaul the Jailbreak FAQ once the next iOS version shows up. I can link to this thread in the meantime.
Ned Scott Wrote:I know we don't want to encourage jailbreak talk on the forums, but since this is a total-steps-to-XBMC guide, a great one at that, and is very straight to the point, I think we should at least mention this on the wiki entry about how to install XBMC on the ATV2. Maybe as an alternative method?

Anything specific would be useful... i.e. what link is broken and which questions/answers suck. I did a little cleanup so maybe the link is gone now, but please share any specific suggestions you have.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99315
Btw, same goes for anyone with suggestions on how to improve the JB faq... send them along.
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie guys... it took me about 4 hours last night to get it done. The info's here, but it's spread out over a dozen different faq's and links. Somebody should consolidate it, and include everything!! As in, putty installation, how to ssh, etc. I figured it out, but holy jesus was it ever a treasure hunt. Someone should write one up that covers opening the ATV2 box all the way up to kicking back to a movie on the brand new xbmc setup!

For example, the wiki's how to install on ATV2 is a page that basically says, jailbreak then enter these ssh commands. I had no idea what ssh even was, yet alone how to do it. I still don't know *what* I did, but it worked so I'm not complaining. What the page should have is the seas0npass how-to (supplemented by a link, not replaced by a link), followed by a putty how-to, then an ssh how-to, then a connect to movie source how-to, then some final basic commands- how to navigate the menu's (took me a while to figure out holding menu to bring up context menu), how to turn off subtitles, etc.
chibwack Wrote:Yeah, I'm not gonna lie guys... it took me about 4 hours last night to get it done. The info's here, but it's spread out over a dozen different faq's and links. Somebody should consolidate it, and include everything!! As in, putty installation, how to ssh, etc. I figured it out, but holy jesus was it ever a treasure hunt. Someone should write one up that covers opening the ATV2 box all the way up to kicking back to a movie on the brand new xbmc setup!

For example, the wiki's how to install on ATV2 is a page that basically says, jailbreak then enter these ssh commands. I had no idea what ssh even was, yet alone how to do it. I still don't know *what* I did, but it worked so I'm not complaining. What the page should have is the seas0npass how-to (supplemented by a link, not replaced by a link), followed by a putty how-to, then an ssh how-to, then a connect to movie source how-to, then some final basic commands- how to navigate the menu's (took me a while to figure out holding menu to bring up context menu), how to turn off subtitles, etc.

I agree, it's nice to have everything in one spot so you don't have to look around to find all the information you need but that's not always possible for many reasons.

Some of the wiki stuff isn't ideal and only a few people have access to edit it but between the Jailbreak FAQ and the XBMC FAQ you should have everything you need. They're intentionally separate because this isn't a jailbreak forum. Most of what you mention is in one of those two FAQs and if it's not it's easily googled.

I've taken some of the suggestions here an updated the JB faq... thanks!
If I'm on 4.2.1 (2100) iOS: 8F202, would I be able to update to 4.2.2 (2203) iOS: 8F305 (the version you described in the original post) or would it force me to update to the latest version 4.3 (2557) iOS: 8F455?
dauntless101 Wrote:If I'm on 4.2.1 (2100) iOS: 8F202, would I be able to update to 4.2.2 (2203) iOS: 8F305 (the version you described in the original post) or would it force me to update to the latest version 4.3 (2557) iOS: 8F455?

If you do not have SHSH saved, then it will update to 8f455

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Total n00b, command line-free guide - install XBMC on a 4.2.2 (4.3) Apple TV 22