What remote is in your hand?
Question 
Looking at the wiki page for XBMC remotes, checking out eBay to buy one this week and thought I'd see what's the most popular choice and why...

Looking at the Microsoft ones, since from what I can read, looks to have the least amount of trouble making it work (ie. regedit to map keys). Though that HP Pavilion looks the nicest.

So, what are you using?

- Microsoft?
- AIM RC6?
- HP MCE?
- HP Pavilion?
- Asrock?
- Mediagate?
- VRC-1100?

Quite a few but, any comments are greatly appreciated. Wish there was a poll option. Smile

** I'm using Win7 64bit, direct connection to the TV via HDMI **
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
Not on your list but im using an logitech harmony one. It's the last remote you ever going to buy Wink

Best regards
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
I'm curious about this too. I'm looking at this one for the qwerty keyboard support.

http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keybo...cr_pr_pb_t
I got a harmony 650. Nice affordable remote....
A generic Windows MCE Remote. Once you get everything configured in EventGhost the way you like it, you won't really want for more.

My power button toggles between starting XBMC and ALT-F4ing it.

I recently configured the Red button to fire a "Start Slideshow", which is a nice thing to have! The other colors go to my music collection, movies, or TV shows.

As an aside, I have several other home screen shortcuts for things like "Hot TV" that displays the shows I've begun to watch but haven't finished yet, etc.
patm95 Wrote:I got a harmony 650. Nice affordable remote....

$80... affordable to some maybe.

Big Grin

Wow and that Harmony One is even more... and here I was finicky about the $20 ones on eBay.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
I am rocking a Sony RM-VL600 8 device learning remote Smile

I bought it for $12 (refurbished) four years ago and learned all the commands from Microsoft MCE remote and my TV and receiver remotes. I also found all the discrete on/off codes, generated them with my psp and learned with this remote.

It even has macro buttons that turn all my devices on and off. It interacts with the htpc through the MCE receiver and eventghost. Can't beat it for that price.

**EDIT**

My next remote will be an RF one as I'm planning on hiding all the equipment in a closet.

The cheapest decent/cool one I could find was Acoustic Research ARRX18G The remote itself is RF ready, but you have to purchase the RF receiver that converts the RF it receives from the remote to IR. The price of the remote occasionally goes down to $60 and the extender is usually $55.

Touchscreen and RF for that price is a lot cheaper than a comparable Harmony or URC. (If I didn't mind spending more, I'd probably go for a URC MX-880, but together with the RF extender it costs almost $500 and I would have to beg people to give me its software because I'd refuse to pay some installer $1500 to program the remote or even make changes every time I change a component)

If I didn't want a cool touchscreen remote, but just RF, I would get this flying saucer right here and use it with my Sony RM-VL600. $42 device turns any remote that uses AAA or AA batteries into an RF transmitter remote.

Also keep in mind that with RF extenders, there are pretty much three types:

Type 1: Has two components. First component receives IR from the remote, sends an RF signal to the second component, which blasts IR to devices. This kind doesn't work that well because you still have to point your remote to the first component.

Type 2 (Flying saucer from above): Has two components. First component replaces a battery in the remote, and sends an RF signal to the second component, which blasts IR to devices. With this setup, you don't have to point the remote to anything since the first component is inside the remote.

Type 3: Has one component specific to the remote. The remote that has RF functionality built-in, sends RF signal directly to the receiver, which blasts IR to devices. These are the expensive remotes such as Harmony 900, URC MX-880 and ARRX18G
Can you use regular universals?

I have a Sony remote that came with my TV, as well, a $15 refurb One For All (URC-6962B00) which is a learning remote. Bought years ago, never used it though.

If I could get away with using what I have an some generic USB receiver for the PC that be even better. Especially since I see XBMC compatibility, but, how compatible are these remotes with a TV.
Right now I am using a wireless xbox 360 controller w/ windows usb reciever. Works fine for now but eventually I would like to switch to something more suited for a media center.
Harmony 300i remote using a OVU412002/00 USB IR Receiver
:nerd:
BrooksyX Wrote:Right now I am using a wireless xbox 360 controller w/ windows usb reciever. Works fine for now but eventually I would like to switch to something more suited for a media center.
Also using it right now. Works great. If only, green Xbox button could start XBMC...
Polish language translator/maintainer for Grid skin.
I'm just using an HP remote that came with my old computer. It works great:

http://static.trustedreviews.com/78222e%...remote.jpg
Note that it's the IR receiver that really matters, so all those Harmony users really need to tell us what what receiver they're using. I'd guess the majority are using a Microsoft/eHome/RC6 receiver with the Harmony handset configured to emulate an MCE keyboard.

All eHome/RC6 remotes are in theory the same. I use the original Microsoft remote because it allows me to reprogram the volume and TV power buttons, and I have these programmed to operate my amp and TV respectively. I also think it has the best build quality. However the MS remotes are now getting expensive (at least on eBay UK) so the HP remotes are probably next best.

If you can afford to buy a Microsoft receiver and Harmony handset this is by far the best solution, but is by far the most expensive.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:If you can afford to buy a Microsoft receiver and Harmony handset this is by far the best solution, but is by far the most expensive.

Only if you don't mind the lag of Harmony compared to the original MS MCE which is a real superior over everything in my eyes.

I am also using MS MCE on the same way by the way.
The only difference is that I am turning on the HTPC along with the TV Set by a single button (PC Power) using IR blasting (which is really really a cool feature) and the TV Power button controls the AMP. Certainly the volume buttons also reconfigured to control the volume of the AMP.
Xbox 360 Wireless controller w/ windows usb receiver here

Just out of curiosity. those having this gamepad, to map actions in xbmc, do you use:

- Eventghost
- x360eventclient + a keymap.xml
- a Xbox.360.Wireless.Controller.xml
- Xpadder or something else

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What remote is in your hand?0