$500 Budget Need Advice
I am looking to spend $500 on a htpc. I want it to play 3d movies, 4K, HD, and tv. Also, looking to use a remote and for it to be wireless. Also, I am not really looking to build something difficult since I have no experience in this arena. Finally, I only have a Mac if that makes a difference on what you suggest.

Right now I have an Apple TV2 and also a Minix Xh 8 plus. The Apple TV 2 is no longer going to be supported and the MInix seems to have horrible WIFI functionality.

Any input and links to what you suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

S7
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
(2015-02-25, 03:32)soft7 Wrote: I

Right now I have an Apple TV2 and also a Minix Xh 8 plus. The Apple TV 2 is no longer going to be supported and the MInix seems to have horrible WIFI functionality.
I'm surprised that you have WiFi problems with the Minix.Mine is a fair distance from the router and I've had no problems.
Whatever you do, get a NAS + Kodi client. You might have it already, not clear though.

HTPCs are a thing of the past, unless you have specific requirements.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-02-25, 06:25)dixons Wrote:
(2015-02-25, 03:32)soft7 Wrote: Right now I have an Apple TV2 and also a Minix Xh 8 plus. The Apple TV 2 is no longer going to be supported and the MInix seems to have horrible WIFI functionality.
I'm surprised that you have WiFi problems with the Minix.Mine is a fair distance from the router and I've had no problems.

It works but the wireless speed tests show it only produces about 25% of what my internet speed actually is. Maybe I got a bad one. I called Minix and the guy told me to hook it up to my router and it should work. I was hoping running it wirelessly would work! My router is set up in the other room from my tv. Therefore I have a lot of buffering which I can't stand. Apple TV 2 in the same spot has better results.
(2015-02-25, 07:51)shabuboy Wrote: Whatever you do, get a NAS + Kodi client. You might have it already, not clear though.

HTPCs are a thing of the past, unless you have specific requirements.

I ordered a Chromecast. I am not storing any of the data. Would you still recommend a NAS. If so, why and what brand/model?

Thanks
(2015-02-25, 21:26)soft7 Wrote:
' Wrote:

I ordered a Chromecast. I am not storing any of the data. Would you still recommend a NAS. If so, why and what brand/model?

Yes, a NAS is the way to go these days. Why? If you get the correct NAS, it could be years before you touch it again. It also can provide other functions, such as backup server, media server, ftp/ssh/web server, torrent client, etc, etc. As well as LAN and WAN access to it.

Separating client from the data also allows you to update hardware/software independent from each other. Which in a few words, the way things are changing with Kodi and set-top-box/hardware, it might not be too long before you want to try something new.

For the NAS, you can build your own or just buy one. Search for it, plenty of info about it.

I like WD, you can see what I have in my signature. But it all comes down to your needs.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
$500 Budget Need Advice0