What do you do with your HTPC idle?
Just wondering what you do with your HTPC when not in use?

Currently I turn it on/off completely. Wondering if anyone here sleeps/hibernates/etc...

It's an SSD drive so it turns on quite quickly...

But I'd like to have Sick Beard / CouchPotato installed on it so I can access it remotely - but can I even access it if in sleep/hibernate/etc.?
Nothing. Because it's idle.
I put it to sleep. You can wake it up over the network using WOL (Wake on Lan) remotely.
I shut down my HTPC when I'm not using it, but then I have my media on a server in the cupboard under the stairs, and the server stays on 24x7. I run things like Sickbeard on the server so they run all the time.

If you're thinking of running Sickbeard etc on the HTPC you'll need to leave the HTPC running. If it goes into suspend no apps will run.

There seems to be differing views about whether you should shut down HTPCs or put them into suspend. If you shut down it takes a relatively long time to restart, though with an SSD this shouldn't be a problem. If you suspend then waking the HTPC is almost instantaneous, but we get various reports of DirectX behaving oddly after a suspend/resume.

As SpectreX says, you can turn on or wake the HTPC remotely with a WakeOnLAN signal. If the HTPC is sleeping (but not turned off) it can probably be woken from the remote control.

JR
HTPC (XBMC Live) sleeps (standby) but is configured to wake when receiving a remote power signal.
mine is on 24/7, like every other computer in my house (except laptops)
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

24/7 Using as a home server.

It running numerous daemons, such as: sshd samba vsftpd httpd rtorrent transmissiond and svn server.
I will install openVPN soon.
I run XBMC off my ATV2 so it is constantly on. The data is on a NAS that just sleeps until called on.
I also have a netbook server running 24-7 for those daemons like selectany

Powerwise I think it's less than 35 watts.
XBMC on MacMini + <12TB of material displaying on 60" or 150".
Just set mine up and built the pc and I have it set to sleep. Now I never seen a pc sleep like this I feel like it shuts off. Lights all power off and I hear no fans or anything running. But then when I move the mouse it wakes back up to xbmc.

My goal is to have a remote to wake it up so no mouse or keyboard will be in my room at all. Just gotta pick which remote I want for xbmc.
toymachine2009 Wrote:Just gotta pick which remote I want for xbmc.

Use a Microsoft remote or compatible. These are usually known as eHome or RC6 remotes. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews for some useful notes.

JR
I have it in sleep mode. easy to wake up with my remote.
patm95 Wrote:I have it in sleep mode. easy to wake up with my remote.

ditto

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do you do with your HTPC idle?0