[Mini-ITX] i3-2100 (2x3.1Ghz) + GT210
I disagree. I just built an G630T i3 Sandy Bridge machine, and eventhough I don't have any dropped frames, I do see hickups/freezes caused by the 24p problem with Sandy Bridge. For that reason alone I would choose to have a GPU in the system. My current mITX case can't accomodate a GPU, so I'm eagerly awaiting Ivy Bridge i3's that do not have that issue.
(2012-07-18, 22:46)LeechNL Wrote: I disagree. I just built an G630T i3 Sandy Bridge machine, and eventhough I don't have any dropped frames, I do see hickups/freezes caused by the 24p problem with Sandy Bridge. For that reason alone I would choose to have a GPU in the system. My current mITX case can't accomodate a GPU, so I'm eagerly awaiting Ivy Bridge i3's that do not have that issue.

How do you know your issues are due to a "24p problem"? You could have a discrete gpu and still have an issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333324/lets-s...ently-well

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-07-18, 22:46)LeechNL Wrote: I disagree. I just built an G630T i3 Sandy Bridge machine, and eventhough I don't have any dropped frames, I do see hickups/freezes caused by the 24p problem with Sandy Bridge. For that reason alone I would choose to have a GPU in the system. My current mITX case can't accomodate a GPU, so I'm eagerly awaiting Ivy Bridge i3's that do not have that issue.
Have you do as below?

1. Installed the latest Intel driver- Check your system for the latest updates
2. Installed- Intel Management Engine Interface Driver]Intel Magagement Engine Interface Driver
3. Disabled DXVA2 and everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I previously had a AMD x2 250 with a nVidia 520 gfx card running xbmcbuntu. Playback was perfect, no dropped frames, and no freezes every minute. The box was rather loud, and big, so I purchased the new mITX box. Still running xbmcubuntu, but now no longer with a discrete gfx card.

Ofcourse I cannot defintively say it is due to the 24p bug. There are to many changes in the system, from the old, to be able to compare. But, since playback itself is flawless, and cpu usage is quite low (<10%) during playback I assumed it was the known bug. Since it occurs only about once a minute, and the freeze is very short, more of a stutter actually, I am thinking it is the 24p issue. My nVidia card gave me 23,98 frames during playback, the hd1000 gives me 24. So...

I'm going to change the case I have now to a different model with better coolin, because temps creep up after a few houres of playback. The new case will have a single expansion slot, so my gt520 will return most likely. But it gives of heat, so possibly I will change over to Ivy Bridge... Not quite sure which route I'll take just yet...
Ok, I take it back. I have been experimenting with settings, and while running xbmcbuntu I now have perfect playback as I did with my GPU. i no longer notice any stutter or judder or whatever. So, if there is a 24p bug, I don't see it.

You guys were right.
(2012-07-22, 10:25)LeechNL Wrote: Ok, I take it back. I have been experimenting with settings, and while running xbmcbuntu I now have perfect playback as I did with my GPU. i no longer notice any stutter or judder or whatever. So, if there is a 24p bug, I don't see it.

You guys were right.
I'm glad that you got it to work......with proper settings, iGPU is all you needs for HTPC.....

What version of OpenElec would suit this build? The 'Intel' build or the 'Generic' build?

BTW I also bought an Asus Geforce 210... alas the heatsink is so chunky it won't fit in the case Undecided
(2012-07-30, 04:54)Mickeyjuice Wrote: What version of OpenElec would suit this build? The 'Intel' build or the 'Generic' build?

BTW I also bought an Asus Geforce 210... alas the heatsink is so chunky it won't fit in the case Undecided

The generic build would be the safe bet - intel builds are for intel sandybridge graphics without dedicated gpu.
You can also give the the ion x64 build a try, as its based on nvidia drivers.
Will this build support bitstreaming HD audio using an OpenElec Frodo build?

Do I need the discrete GPU for the bitstreaming or is the CPU enough?

Thanks!
(2011-12-01, 18:00)bluray Wrote:
pmow Wrote:I wasn't able to mount the 120mm fan anywhere. At first I thought it went screwed into the side vent, but that vent isn't nearly tall enough. I'm guessing it was supposed to go where I have the 2nd hard drive (according to case instructions).
Here is how you should install it:

I see the picture, but I cannot seem to get the fan in there. There is a part of sheetmetal raised in the case right there to be able to mount the HD to, not allowing me to put a fan there. Also how do I mount it?

Previous poster mentioned a video, where do I find that video?

(2012-10-08, 06:15)a2wistd2 Wrote:
(2011-12-01, 18:00)bluray Wrote:
pmow Wrote:I wasn't able to mount the 120mm fan anywhere. At first I thought it went screwed into the side vent, but that vent isn't nearly tall enough. I'm guessing it was supposed to go where I have the 2nd hard drive (according to case instructions).
Here is how you should install it:

I see the picture, but I cannot seem to get the fan in there. There is a part of sheetmetal raised in the case right there to be able to mount the HD to, not allowing me to put a fan there. Also how do I mount it?

Previous poster mentioned a video, where do I find that video?
I inserted the bottom of the fan in first, and then gently slided/forced the top side in. There is no mounting screw, because it stay in place by itself......

Building a HTPC similar to this looking for pointers and hoping to avoid any pitfalls from my hardware choices. Was going to wait and use my Ouya for XBMC in the spring but the crappy old Boxee Box red lighted on me a couple days ago and forced my hand for the HTPC I have always wanted to build but couldn't justify. The time I have wasted trying to make Boxee Box be what it isn't I should have built a proper HTPC 2 years ago instead of thinking a CE was the way to go (hell my PCH and WDTV are still working and better then Boxee Box lol just crap interfaces and slow). Anyway blessing that the box died early Smile

I have spent many hours reading guides here and a couple blogs with great info on how to start from building a HTPC, thank-you everyone that has posted for making the job easier. I plan to run this setup openelec, but powerful enough to fall back to XBMCBuntu or Win7 if I have to. I have a server in the house that hosts media drives and other ripping repairing downloading etc, so this is just for playback and future proofish. I consider myself a category 7 minus 3D but my next TV might be 3D so... I know HD audio bitstreaming isn't a go yet in openelec, I am hopeful that will change

I am posting here before I order tonight to fish for feedback on hardware compatibility and MoBo layout for this case/hardware combo to hopefully avoid any surprises. My hardware choices are filtered / limited by what ncix.ca here in Canada carries so that I can use their online price matching tool to get best Canadian prices on the whole package with shopbot.ca etc. I am not overly stuck on my choices just seemed best prices in Canada and availability at NCIX.ca searching around.

Case - Apex MI-008 looked at many cases, like antec but they don't work in my entertainment cabinet. Not the best but sometimes simple is better to work on. Fits on the shelf I have available and is cheap.

CPU - Intel Core i3 3220T Dual Core Processor LGA1155 2.8GHZ Ivy Bridge 3MB Retail Box (was shopping for 2100T sandy bridge but this was same price) going T so I can use stock cooler and fit under power supply with some spare space.

MoBo - ASUS P8H77-I mITX LGA1155 H77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 SATA3 DVI HDMI D-Sub USB3.0 Motherboard

RAM - Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit (was shopping for 4GB 2x2GB but this was what I found at NCIX that was on the ASUS QVL and ready to ship no delay. other options I found had heat sinks that would get in the way if I chose to use a 3.5 HDD in the future.

SSD - Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5IN SSD MLC 25nm SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive Retail Maple Crest

120mm Fan for side of case PWM for MoBo control should run slow and quiet but summer is hot want it to be able to rise if needed when ambient temp rises. Newer Z77 chipset Asus MoBo's support fan speed on non pwm 3 pin fans but this H77 chipset needs PWM . Not fully decided yet considering the following,
Scythe Slip Stream PWM 120MM Sleeve Bearing Fan 200~1300RPM 0~26.5DBA 0~74.25CFM
Noctua NF-P12 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 300-1300RPM 63.4-92.3M3/H 12.6-19.8DBA 4-PIN PWM
Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 300-1500RPM 93.1M3/H 22.4DBA 4-PIN PWM

I appreciate any feedback or tips from anyone. Especially any experience with this MoBo or CPU in this case.
I am hopefull the iGPU will suffice if not I will add a discrete GPU to pick up the slack if needed.

I can't wait to have this up and running Big Grin

(2012-01-20, 23:23)tantal Wrote: Hey Eskro,

What do you think of this build with a Ceton cablecard card in it?

. . . . Running ubuntu and xbmc?

Looks like a perfect system to do this.

I am also interested in this particular build, and wondering if a Ceton would work well with it. I would probably use the USB External one though. Would you forsee any problems with that?
I think you need the GT210 for 3D bluray, is that correct ? HuhHuh?

If you dont need 3D playabck, you obviously dont need the GT card, your not even group #7

Also theres half a dozen GT 210, will any of them do for 3D bluray support?
Theres this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6814500237
And theres a 128 bit one thats $5 more
(2012-11-24, 21:28)calgaryleb Wrote: I think you need the GT210 for 3D bluray, is that correct ? HuhHuh?

If you dont need 3D playabck, you obviously dont need the GT card, your not even group #7

Also theres half a dozen GT 210, will any of them do for 3D bluray support?
Theres this one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6814500237
And theres a 128 bit one thats $5 more

I am also wondering the same thing. I don't have a 3D TV but it will definitely be a possibility in the future.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mini-ITX] i3-2100 (2x3.1Ghz) + GT2101