Build how-to for dummies?
Wondering if anyone could post a how-to for dummies on how to build this? I used to be able to build but no longer can, get 600+ errors.

I git-cloned the source, installed the Android SDK, eclipse, etc. Tried both creating a new project and importing from the folder, as well as just importing, but can't get it to build anymore.

Would be nice if we had a nightly type release going on since the officials are few and far between...if i can get it up again i'd be happy to build it, but cant figure out whats going on (I'm a visual studio guy, eclipse and java confuse me)

Thanks.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Just hit on the Project / Clean menu to regenerate the R.java. That is supposed to appear in the folder called "gen".
Also you might need to set the correct Android Target in the properties of the project.
gfoldv Wrote:Just hit on the Project / Clean menu to regenerate the R.java. That is supposed to appear in the folder called "gen".
Also you might need to set the correct Android Target in the properties of the project.

tried that, this is what i'm getting:
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
the 'match_parent' was introduced in android 2.2, do try to compile against at least the version 8 (2.2)
gfoldv Wrote:the 'match_parent' was introduced in android 2.2, do try to compile against at least the version 8 (2.2)

Thanks...i switched to 2.2, and that dropped about 40 errors, but it still won't build, i tried going against 2.3.3, 2.2, nothin. It gets to about 60% of creating the workspace, but then tons of errors come up, looks like they're all tied to the something.R file (Errors say "R cannot be resolve to a variable")

I've checked that I have a Jdk (1.6r25), android SDK, latest git, properties are defied correctly, and i've tried importing, as well as creating new...but it bombs out on the R error.

Edit: well, I just changed to 2.3.3, did a "Clean" operation and built again.. i got 47 warnings, but the errors seem to be gone now. I'm running GB on my phone so this should work... Thanks!
Any need to compile a newer one for the most part? I just looked at the git tree and don't see much update's (compared to daily stuff with windows which i do build almost daily. ) Reason i ask is cause i don't see too much progress and don't have anything set up to build for android (just FINALLY bought an android phone couple weeks ago), and use it and it works great (impressed the hell out of my GF when showing it off, flipping through movies and titles and controlling XBMC, works great), HOWEVER the one glitch of box covers aren't correct on my phone (320x400), so the ONLY way to play a movie is to push-hold on a title and choose "Play movie" which works fine.
But if there is progress i am missing, i am totally cool with building android releases as well and getting all that setup to compile my own APK builds. Thanks for any responses.
When I try to export the Android Application I keep getting:

Project has compilation error(s)
XBMC Remote/binXBMC Remote.apk does not exists!

I don't understand why Eclipse needs the apk?

Can someone please advise what I do wrong?
There weren't any major changes project-wise. Make sure that you refresh+clean your project.

@Evanrich: Your resources folder seems to have a problem (that's where the 600+ errors come from). Try refreshing that, or look for an error in the res folder.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Thank you for the tip. This solved the issue.

Although I managed to compile the package, Eclipse was still showing following messages after loading the workspace:

[2011-08-19 15:02:02 - XBMC Remote] AndroidManifest.xml does not declare a Java package: Build aborted.
[2011-08-19 15:02:32 - XBMC Remote] ERROR: Unable to open class file C:\XBMC\source\gen\org\xbmc\android\remote\R.java: No such file or directory

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build how-to for dummies?0