Live TV using PVR branch
I have a head ache from reading everything I can find on Live TV in XBMC. I'm trying to see if I can setup my HTPC which is currently running Win7 64bit, Media Center, Media Browser and Hulu Desktop to run XBMC and still perform all the functions I currently use. I don't need the recording capabilities, I have a linux file server that takes care of downloading TV Shows and Movies with SabNZBd, Couchpotatoe and Sick Beard. I just want the ability to watch live TV using my tuner card (Pinnacle PCTV 801e). I downloaded the PVR branch binary for windows, but it appears I need a backend for this to work. What should I use as a backend that would be light weight enough for an Atom 330 ITX machine with 4GB of RAM? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to get away from MC without going full Linux as the wife has to use this everyday when I'm at work. Thanks for any help.
Why not use wmc for live tv? That is what I have been doing and it works great.
naviathan Wrote:I just want the ability to watch live TV using my tuner card (Pinnacle PCTV 801e). I downloaded the PVR branch binary for windows, but it appears I need a backend for this to work. What should I use as a backend that would be light weight enough for an Atom 330 ITX machine with 4GB of RAM? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to get away from MC without going full Linux as the wife has to use this everyday when I'm at work. Thanks for any help.

I've tried both MediaPortal's TV Server and 4TR (4 The Record). I would suggest 4TR as it's under active development, although the plugin for it is not as feature complete as yet. But it's likely the less complicated to setup correctly. http://www.4therecord.eu/
patm95 Wrote:Why not use wmc for live tv? That is what I have been doing and it works great.
Because I'm trying to get away from WMC.
Freakish Wrote:I've tried both MediaPortal's TV Server and 4TR (4 The Record). I would suggest 4TR as it's under active development, although the plugin for it is not as feature complete as yet. But it's likely the less complicated to setup correctly. http://www.4therecord.eu/

That sounds alright, can it run on the same machine XBMC is on and does it work in the US?
Where is the plugin for 4TR located?
naviathan Wrote:Where is the plugin for 4TR located?

Not sure separately, but there are PVR builds here that already have the plugin included.

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg...build.html
naviathan Wrote:Because I'm trying to get away from WMC.

That sounds alright, can it run on the same machine XBMC is on and does it work in the US?

Yes to both.
i am in the exact same situation and would really appreciate a post of how you got the live tv to work, i tried all of what was on the link but stuck on getting the xbmc front end to display from the mediaportal server. as this is a new build im willing to scrap where im up to and progress down the simplist road to live tv in xbmc . It took 20 mins in media portal to get it up and running but mp just isnt as sexy and fast as xbmc.

help me obe one ...your my only hope.
I'm sticking with WMC because of the live TV issues. All the added backends and clients are way too intensive for a dual core atom processor. XBMC is lighter on resources until you start looking at doing live TV and that sucks. If they could do it without needing a backend to run the TV card it would be perfect!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV using PVR branch0