• 8(current)
Upgrade to Lion
M., can you take a look at this? I deleted one movie from the old library, then added it back with afp sharing. The paths are actually very different.

The one added directly refers straight to the original volume and folder. The ones from the old library referred to the share point folder ("XBMC") and then the symlink.

I can (and will) try changing my paths (again), but shouldn't XBMC be able to resolve this?

NEW (added directly)

Code:
<path>afp://ctawn:[email protected]/Gendut/Video [Gendut]/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/</path>
        <filenameandpath>stack://afp://ctawn:[email protected]/Gendut/Video [Gendut]/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/espise-asm-cd1.avi , afp://ctawn:[email protected]/Gendut/Video [Gendut]/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/espise-asm-cd2.avi</filenameandpath>

<basepath>stack://afp://ctawn:[email protected]/Gendut/Video [Gendut]/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/espise-asm-cd1.avi , afp://ctawn:[email protected]/Gendut/Video [Gendut]/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/espise-asm-cd2.avi</basepath>

OLD (from smb://, paths changed)

Code:
<path>afp://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Gendut] symlink/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/</path>
        <filenameandpath>stack://afp://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Gendut] symlink/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/espise-asm-cd1.avi , afp://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Gendut] symlink/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/espise-asm-cd2.avi</filenameandpath>

<basepath>afp://ctawn:[email protected]/XBMC/Video [Gendut] symlink/Feature Movies/A Serious Man (2009)/</basepath>
OK, so given that I was getting nowhere, I buckled down and tediously went through my whole library, starting with what I imported and changed with search and replace to AFP and some approximation of correct paths.

For the benefit of others, here's some of what I found:

1) I was able to add just my main computer as a source, i.e., MacPro.local, and when authenticated as my main user, I could browse all connected volumes. In other words, no need to add separate shares for each volume, let alone share points for sub-folders within volumes.

1B) The corollary here was that symlinks were totally unnecessary. The down side of this is that my entire file system, including all attached volumes, is exposed to browsing through this one share. (So see #6 below)

2) About 30% of my files I could not get Info on, they must have been corrupted in some way or another. 90% of those were on one volume, so I must have got a path substitution wrong. I had to remove all of those from my library, note them down, and go back and add them later. (As I noted before, the xbmc.log even in debug mode does not show any info on why this fails, or any attempt to get Info at all.)

3) almost all of the remainder of the files had broken thumbnails and fanart. I had to go through each of those one by one and refresh the source, re-adding thumbnails and fanart from local files where necessary.

4) i was faced with a couple problem i have reported long ago but are still not resolved in recent nightlies:

a) when adding stacked movies, most of the time i get a duplicate entry in the library. the first is the entry with the "stack://" path, and the second is an entry with just one file of the stack. Two separate entries. When I delete the second, the thumbnail for the first one, which was there before, is now gone, and I have to reset it.

b) when browsing for thumbnails and fanart, it sure would be nice for the file browser to default to the last used folder. at least by option.

5) inexplicably, some media entries that have fanart and thumbnails in the Movies Library, do not show those when browsing files. on the other hand some do.

6) lastly, and probably this should be a new thread or a feature request, it would be very nice if you could set a passcode lock on browsing video files but not on browsing the movies library.

All told this project took me 2 full days. Sigh. I reiterate that it would be very desirable to have an internal way to rebuild a library using new file sharing protocols, or with portions moved from one partial path to another (ie to another volume), all with retaining thumbnails and fanart.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I've experienced video freezes and system hangs when playing over afp:// twice in one day since completing this library conversion.

I opened a trac ticket #12094, with logs.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade to Lion0