• 3(current)
Upgrade to Lion
Where does the SMB client code come from? Is it something that Team-XBMC made in-house or something that another project maintains?
I upgraded to Lion and tried to get a Windows 7 box to connect. That was a pain in the A$$. what finally worked was to specify an IP address to my Mac Mini. and in xbmc on PC directed movie to SMB:\\192.168.x.x\Movies and works fine. Movies being my shared folder.

Now my issue is. I have Harmony One. and and I've noticed this on my laptop Macbook Pro too. I have to click on the mouse to activate OS. so on the Mini the harmony doesn't wake it up.
So, you're saying that the SMB server on Lion works if you specify an IP address on the XBMC client instead of a share name?
Yes. Its working fine for me that way.

Because I can ping the IP and can ping my media center by name. but the SMB doesn't show up. Once I did it by IP address worked, perfectly.
Has anyone figured out how to properly output spdif audio out of optical out?

VLC is having the same problem. Something changed in OSX and has stuffed up both XBMC and VLC for me.

If i set my speaker configuration to 5.1 in audio it just outputs either static or just the 2 back channels.

VLC doesn't output anything... Anyone experiencing something similar?
Hello,

for the problems with SMB in Lion / XBMC, what about updating SMB in XBMC to samba4 in XBMC?

BYE!
Just to clarify...

The current XBMC version works on a OSX Lion machine (like a Mac Mini) as long as it's accessing/streaming files located on a Windows or NAS server thru SMB?

But XBMC can't access files from another OSX Lion machine (file server) thru SMB?

EDIT: I'm considering upgrading to the new Mini as my media center unit, but want to make sure I can use it with XBMC and my files located on Windows and NAS via SMB.
Beano. I think you've got it, except that Salgonza is saying that he has XBMC as an SMB client with a Lion server as long as the SMB URL has an IP address rather than a share name.

I've yet to try that personally.
Ok thanks Smile
Ned Scott Wrote:Where does the SMB client code come from? Is it something that Team-XBMC made in-house or something that another project maintains?

tools/darwin/depends/samba3/Makefile

standard usage of smbclient
There seems to be some continuing confusion here with respect to server vs client. The XBMC SMB client has not changed and works as it always did. In the Mac OS, Lion has implemented a proprietary SMB-like server which, AFAIK, is not compatible with XBMCs client.
davilla Wrote:Not an XBMC problem, this is an OS problem.

Yes and no, from what I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Apple decided not to include Samba server version 3 in Lion for licensing reasons. But they did include an earlier version of Samba server that didn't face those licensing restrictions. That blows, and that is of course the OS problem.

If that's correct, the XBMC Samba client could in theory support the earlier version of Samba that Apple is making available by default.
ctawn Wrote:Yes and no, from what I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Apple decided not to include Samba server version 3 in Lion for licensing reasons. But they did include an earlier version of Samba server that didn't face those licensing restrictions. That blows, and that is of course the OS problem.

If that's correct, the XBMC Samba client could in theory support the earlier version of Samba that Apple is making available by default.

Samba is the name for an implementation of SMB. Apple dropped Samba completely and decided to make their own implementation of SMB. From what I've read here: "Lion’s new SMB implementation is SMB 2.0 only - this is a Microsoft-developed improvement of the specification that was introduced in Windows Vista and continued in Windows 7. " So it's a newer spec, not an older one.

The devs will probably be able to tell us more, but from my searches I found this old post that mentions XBMC receiving tweaks for SMB 2.0. So I'm guessing that while it was tweaked for SMB 2.0 it doesn't completely support the new spec, or Apple's implementation doesn't completely support the spec. Both work fine on Windows machines, so I don't really know which one is more technically correct.
Thanks, Ned. That is a great explanation and the link you provided explains even more. Although it's always sad that an OS moves away from open source, all this affirms that the implementation Apple included of SMB at least approximates a current standard. So in my view it's even less evident that this is mostly OS problem, and more indicates a need for XBMC as a client to support this newer implementation of the SMB protocol. (again as annoying as that may be to need to do...)

In the meantime, I do hope someone comes up with a simple installer for Lion for the GPL3 version of Samba 3.0. I suspect that like many XBMC users, XBMC is the only thing we need any flavor of SMB for.
Here's an Apple Knowledge Base article dealing with Lion's implementation of SMB:

Lion Server: SMB file server works with Mac OS X v10.6, Windows XP or later

From the article:

Quote:The SMB file server included with OS X Lion works with SMB clients that use UNICODE and extended security, such as Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard.

I understand that this talks about Lion Server. Is there any reason to believe that the SMB server in plain vanilla Lion is different from the one included with Lion Server?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade to Lion0