Newbie Help
First off let me say yes I'm a newbie and yes am trying to read & learn and yes it can be confusing. I have a couple of questions I hope don't sound stupid as have tried to find answers but am stuck and confused.

I'm running XBMC on my ATV1 & ATV2 with both connecting to same NAS.
  • I'm totally confused with the Library mode and have nfi what it means or how to turn it on or off and why or if I need to?
  • Why is it that if I add a movie to my NAS, the ATV1 will find it and add to Library yet the ATV2 doesn't and then sometimes vice versa?
  • The Nightly Builds for ATV2 - should I be using them or should I stick with the current release version & if yes why?
  • Am I able to add a new Link within the main menu - ie: along side Movies, TV Shows - can I add my own?
  • If I don't like a movie cover am I able to change it?

I do have more but will do more reading first.

Thank you Smile
PetSue Wrote:First off let me say yes I'm a newbie and yes am trying to read & learn and yes it can be confusing. I have a couple of questions I hope don't sound stupid as have tried to find answers but am stuck and confused.

I'm running XBMC on my ATV1 & ATV2 with both connecting to same NAS.
  • I'm totally confused with the Library mode and have nfi what it means or how to turn it on or off and why or if I need to?
  • Why is it that if I add a movie to my NAS, the ATV1 will find it and add to Library yet the ATV2 doesn't and then sometimes vice versa?
  • The Nightly Builds for ATV2 - should I be using them or should I stick with the current release version & if yes why?
  • Am I able to add a new Link within the main menu - ie: along side Movies, TV Shows - can I add my own?
  • If I don't like a movie cover am I able to change it?

I do have more but will do more reading first.

Thank you Smile
  • Library Mode allows you to browse your video content by things such as; Genre, Title, Year, Actors and Directors.

• Unless you are using a mySQL server to share a database, both of your ATV2s will have to scan for new content.

• I don't use nightly builds for my ATV2s. Never had a reason to, they are harder to install than just selecting it from a list in NitoTV. They do have some bug fixes, but sometimes that causes problems with other things.

• I know some skins have custom main menu items you can assign, you will have to see if yours does in settings-skin I think.

• Yes you can change movie covers.
Mecusar Wrote:Library Mode allows you to browse your video content by things such as; Genre, Title, Year, Actors and Directors.

Ah ha ok that explains it.

Mecusar Wrote:Unless you are using a mySQL server to share a database, both of your ATV2s will have to scan for new content.

Yes I understand that, but what I'm saying is that one will see a new added title and the other one won't and then it sometimes goes the other way around as well.

Mecusar Wrote:I don't use nightly builds for my ATV2s. Never had a reason to, they are harder to install than just selecting it from a list in NitoTV. They do have some bug fixes, but sometimes that causes problems with other things.

Ok might keep away from them for now while I learn more.

Mecusar Wrote:I know some skins have custom main menu items you can assign, you will have to see if yours does in settings-skin I think.

Ok at the moment just using standard install skin, so will have a look see.

Mecusar Wrote:Yes you can change movie covers.

Ok cool but how please?
PetSue Wrote:Yes I understand that, but what I'm saying is that one will see a new added title and the other one won't and then it sometimes goes the other way around as well.

After they both have done a scan for new media? Do both of them use a username/password to access the share? Are they the same? I had some parent foler permission issues for a while that caused mine to miss finding media. If your ATVs use different credentials (or one doesnt use them), it could be a problem. With two ATV2s I recommend setting up the mySQL database though. It saved me a lot of time from marking which tv shows were watched, cleaning up the library after file deletions, when upgrading ATV2s to the newest firmware I can just add my advancedsettings.xml back rather than importing libraries on all the ATVs. Not to mention stopping a movie and resuming in the same spot in another room.

PetSue Wrote:Ok cool but how please?

If memory serves, while looking at the movie list, hold down the menu button on the ATV2 remote to bring up the context menu, goto Movie Information, and change thumb there.
Mecusar Wrote:If memory serves, while looking at the movie, hold down the menu button on the ATV2 remote to bring up the context menu, goto Movie Information, and change thumb there.

Ah ha ok so it's the Thumb that is changed, thank you indeed.

Getting there slowly..Smile
Mecusar Wrote:I don't use nightly builds for my ATV2s. Never had a reason to, they are harder to install than just selecting it from a list in NitoTV. They do have some bug fixes, but sometimes that causes problems with other things.

If you are using a "stable" you ARE using a "nightly build". It's pre-release code either way, and there are no stable releases, only "official" and "unofficial" builds that both come from the same place.

Right now and for the last few builds nightlies are no less stable than the last official build. Considering the scraping fixes alone I would highly recommend that everyone install the July 18th nightly build
Ned Scott Wrote:If you are using a "stable" you ARE using a "nightly build". It's pre-release code either way, and there are no stable releases, only "official" and "unofficial" builds that both come from the same place.

Right now and for the last few builds nightlies are no less stable than the last official build. Considering the scraping fixes alone I would highly recommend that everyone install the July 18th nightly build

Thanks Ned and interesting in the sense of you saying you'd highly recommend install. Can I ask why's that please? Not that I know how to install a nightly yet lol
PetSue Wrote:Thanks Ned and interesting in the sense of you saying you'd highly recommend install. Can I ask why's that please? Not that I know how to install a nightly yet lol

If you use the library feature, which downloads meta information like summaries, cover art, etc, it fixes a painful issue where things would time out and stop working.

There's a number of other great fixes in the July 18th build as well. Just about every subtitle related bug has been fixed, which has made the anime fans burst out into celebration in the streets.

If whatever build you are using is working then you don't need to worry. My main point is that people shouldn't fear "nightlies". The official dev builds never seemed more stable to me. Each new build is a new build of pre-release code.
Ned Scott Wrote:If whatever build you are using is working then you don't need to worry. My main point is that people shouldn't fear "nightlies". The official dev builds never seemed more stable to me. Each new build is a new build of pre-release code.

Ok cool thank you mate. think I'll stick to what I have at the moment until I learn more about it and how it works Smile

So about the issue I'm having with ATV1 seeing new Videos & ATV2 not and vice versa, anyone have any ideas please?
A possible explanation is that one of your device is in file mode and the other in library mode.
The device in file mode will show all the files while the device in library mode will only show the results of the scan.
ewaterke Wrote:A possible explanation is that one of your device is in file mode and the other in library mode.
The device in file mode will show all the files while the device in library mode will only show the results of the scan.

Ok ok possibility yes thank you very much. Now to work out how to tell and/or change hmmmm.
Ok am now upset as was in Library Mode on the ATV2 yet it failed to update any new movies after I just added 10. On the ATV1 I don't know what mode I'm in as can't find the setting for it and it also failed to update the new movies.

I had to go back into Add Source to make sure the location was right and only then after setting that up did it update.

I have Update Library on Startup checked but it's not working properly for either ATV.

Can anyone please give me any idea what I've done wrong?

Thanks Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie Help0