• 6(current)
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini!
Trojita Wrote:So is GPU acceleration working yet?

I planned on getting the one with ATI Discrete Graphics.

I had to turn GPU acceleration off to get solid playback. But the CPU is really underutilized, so doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Unfortunately I need BD ISO playback, and that's only supported by the nightlies as far as I can tell, which are still really buggy. Sad
i have the AMD 2011 mac mini, i just hit my first MKV that is giving me corrupted display with hardware acceleration. wonder what the deal is.

as for the HD audio, with the nightly from yesterday bitstreaming is not working out of the box, at least with the DTS-MA 7.1 MKV i just tried, but i've never looked into it as i haven't been able to do it in the past
--
prophetizer Wrote:i have the AMD 2011 mac mini, i just hit my first MKV that is giving me corrupted display with hardware acceleration. wonder what the deal is.

as for the HD audio, with the nightly from yesterday bitstreaming is not working out of the box, at least with the DTS-MA 7.1 MKV i just tried, but i've never looked into it as i haven't been able to do it in the past

This is all really confusing. Maybe one of the DEVs can clearly state which chipsets support hardware acceleration.

As far as I know, only Nvidia chipsets support the hardware acceleration. A clear statement of i.e. Davilla would be helpful.

I still think that neither the h3000 nor the ati graphics support hardware decoding. If so, is there a timeline for adding corresponding support to the XBMC code?

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
prophetizer Wrote:i have the AMD 2011 mac mini, i just hit my first MKV that is giving me corrupted display with hardware acceleration. wonder what the deal is.

The current nightlies do not allow for bitstreaming, this will change when the AE branch is merged into master. However, I'm still not sure if OSX will support bit streaming at all, current testing focuses on Linux and Windows.

Only the DSPlayer branch (Windows, no longer under development) supports bitstreaming through the ffdshow audio decoder.

I have ordered a Mac Mini (with AMD graphics), and will test the support for HD Audio bitstreaming on Windows (!) with the DSPlayer branch.
dlmh Wrote:The current nightlies do not allow for bitstreaming, this will change when the AE branch is merged into master. However, I'm still not sure if OSX will support bit streaming at all, current testing focuses on Linux and Windows.

Only the DSPlayer branch (Windows, no longer under development) supports bitstreaming through the ffdshow audio decoder.

I have ordered a Mac Mini (with AMD graphics), and will test the support for HD Audio bitstreaming on Windows (!) with the DSPlayer branch.

Can you test out whether files play properly with hardware acceleration, without all of the problems mentioned in this thread, on a 2011 Mac Mini on Windows 7?

Thanks!
ix400 Wrote:This is all really confusing. Maybe one of the DEVs can clearly state which chipsets support hardware acceleration.

As far as I know, only Nvidia chipsets support the hardware acceleration. A clear statement of i.e. Davilla would be helpful.

I still think that neither the h3000 nor the ati graphics support hardware decoding. If so, is there a timeline for adding corresponding support to the XBMC code?

Chris

Hardware acceleration support in Mac OS X doesn't work like that. Apple has APIs (there's a private one and a public one) that takes care of video hardware acceleration. XMBC uses those APIs. Everything between the API and the GPU is handled by Apple. If it works in Quicktime then it will work with anything that uses those same APIs.
Trojita Wrote:Can you test out whether files play properly with hardware acceleration, without all of the problems mentioned in this thread, on a 2011 Mac Mini on Windows 7?

Thanks!

I will. Are there any specific files that don't work properly? Like mkv with h.264, or m2ts with VC-1?
Ned Scott Wrote:Hardware acceleration support in Mac OS X doesn't work like that. Apple has APIs (there's a private one and a public one) that takes care of video hardware acceleration. XBMC uses those APIs. Everything between the API and the GPU is handled by Apple. If it works in Quicktime then it will work with anything that uses those same APIs.

Okay, but this does not answer the question on which chipsets HW acceleration is supported (by Apples APIs).

Chris
ix400 Wrote:Okay, but this does not answer the question on which chipsets HW acceleration is supported (by Apples APIs).

Chris

Now that wasn't that hard, was it?
Ned Scott Wrote:Hardware acceleration support in Mac OS X doesn't work like that. Apple has APIs (there's a private one and a public one) that takes care of video hardware acceleration. XBMC uses those APIs. Everything between the API and the GPU is handled by Apple. If it works in Quicktime then it will work with anything that uses those same APIs.

so basically what you are saying as the problem is with apples amd drivers?
--
ix400 Wrote:This is all really confusing. Maybe one of the DEVs can clearly state which chipsets support hardware acceleration.

For OSX, XBMC used VDA, aka -> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#...es/tn2267/

The technote says what is supported. Now they could be lying Smile

For iOS, we are using a private API (VideoToolBox), VDA eventually calls down to VideoToolBox on OSX.
dlmh Wrote:Now that wasn't that hard, was it?

... you lost me.

Chris
davilla Wrote:For OSX, XBMC used VDA, aka -> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#...es/tn2267/

The technote says what is supported. Now they could be lying Smile

For iOS, we are using a private API (VideoToolBox), VDA eventually calls down to VideoToolBox on OSX.

This was the Info I was looking for. Thanks.

Chris
Trojita Wrote:Can you test out whether files play properly with hardware acceleration, without all of the problems mentioned in this thread, on a 2011 Mac Mini on Windows 7?

Thanks!

Great news, guys! Bitstreaming of DTS-HD (MA) and Dolby TrueHD is working on the Mac Mini 2011 (AMD Graphics), using XBMC DSPlayer (Windows).

So, the hardware supports it!

I have found no graphical glitches using hardware acceleration (DXVA2 on Windows), so the problems mentioned must be from the AMD drivers for OSX.

But, for some reason, DSPlayer is now borked and won't play anything properly, but it did work perfectly on the Mini for about 10 min. Big Grin
dlmh Wrote:Great news, guys! Bitstreaming of DTS-HD (MA) and Dolby TrueHD is working on the Mac Mini 2011 (AMD Graphics), using XBMC DSPlayer (Windows).

So, the hardware supports it!

I have found no graphical glitches using hardware acceleration (DXVA2 on Windows), so the problems mentioned must be from the AMD drivers for OSX.

But, for some reason, DSPlayer is now borked and won't play anything properly, but it did work perfectly on the Mini for about 10 min. Big Grin

Which means XBMC using MPC-HC + MADVR + LAV should work.

Huzzah!

Thanks man. I wonder why DSplayer is borked though.

Anyone know whether the IR port on the Mac Mini is recognized and usable on windows?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini!0