• 1(current)
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini!
With the new Mac Minis released today, what would be the better video option for XBMC?

I would really like the server version:

2.0GHz : Dual 500GB
2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB memory
Dual 500GB 7200-rpm hard drives1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
OS X Lion Server

But this version has a better video card:

2.5GHz : 500GB
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6630M
OS X Lion

Comments please.
I'm interested in the answer, too.
Any of the specs will be fine. The Intel HD3000 graphics are more than powerful enough to decode 1080p even with VC-1 encoding and of course would work fine with H.264 as well; the ATI card is better yet. Put is this way, I use a Mac Mini from 2 generations ago (it's a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo with NVidia graphics) and that plays anything I throw at it and the CPU usage stays in single digits with smooth playback.

What is more interesting to me is that both the Intel HD3K and the ATI 6630M both support bitstreaming of lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) over HDMI. Only question is whether this is supported in OS X 10.7 Lion and/or Windows 7 with Bootcamp...

I was holding off buying a new HTPC until the Mac Minis came out - I was looking at a custom-build with an i3-2105 or i5-2405 in a DH67CF motherboard (which has Intel HD3k graphics) so given the specs of the new Mac Minis it may be that be a good choice! Just need to get my hands on one to try it out...
I'm looking forward anyone to try if it supports bitstreaming (and maybe 3d)..
It would be unbeatable then with xbmc..
I'd really like to know if it supports Bitstreaming. I've been waiting for this to come out!
What's the advantage of bitsreaming?
silvine Wrote:What's the advantage of bitsreaming?

HD sound, like TrueHD, DTS-HD etc....
Hi

Does anyone know whether or not the Intel HD Graphics 3000 or AMD Radeon HD 6630M Mac Mini will support hardware acceleration using Apple’s new API (VDADecoder)?
It Does.
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#...n2267.html
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
The hardware supports HD Audio bitstreaming, but will the AE branch support this on OSX?

How about true 24p on the new Mini's? (23.976Hz, instead of 24.00Hz)
Just my two cents, if you want to mainly use it for HTPC purposes, better to go for the non-server single drive edition with the non-integrated video.

First, for HTPC media collection, especially if you`re using xbmc i`m guessing you`ll be playing alot of HD movies, and will have a collection. In that case, even 1 tb won`t cut it and you`ll sooner rather than later be upgrading to external storage (windows media server, single usb drives, or multi drive enclosures), so you`re better off just getting the basic 500 gb. For htpc use thats more than enough storage space, even if you`re using it as a home computer.

Second, as ifixit showed today, there is still space in the single drive version to install a second drive. you would just need the appropriate cable (they`ll find it sooner or later) and maybe a mounting mechanism. Prob. cheaper than getting it from apple. Also, the only case i could see in an htpc to need two internal drives is if you need one ssd, and second hdd. again in that case you`re better off getting the isngle drive version.

Lastly, i`m sure the new integrated cards are better than the intel integrated cards that came with the 2008 mac mini`s, which was my first mini. While it played 1080p, once in a while it would stutter, or not play a file properly, and it was bothersome enough that i would avoid 1080p movies as i didnt want to get into issues mid-movie in some scenes. I upgraded to the 2010 mac mini with nvidia 320m graphics, which are way better. Now even if the new integrated cards can play 1080p, you`re still better off with a 2.5 ghz and amd graphics as you are assured smooth playback, even on somewhat badly encoded material and don`t have to worry about running out of horsepower few years down the line with any potential new encoding methods.

So in conclusion, go for the single drive, 2.5 ghz, amd, which is cheaper as well, rather than the dual drive unless you really really have a case for needing two internal drives at the expense of a slower processor and integrated graphics.

dlmh Wrote:The hardware supports HD Audio bitstreaming, but will the AE branch support this on OSX?

How about true 24p on the new Mini's? (23.976Hz, instead of 24.00Hz)
nmirza Wrote:Just my two cents, if you want to mainly use it for HTPC purposes, better to go for the non-server single drive edition with the non-integrated video.

I'm interested in how this performs with XBMC and hardware acceleration on the AMD Radeon.

If anyone gets one of these please let us all know!
can you use apple remote to control mac mini? does it come with IR sensor?
what about optical out?
foxnews Wrote:can you use apple remote to control mac mini? does it come with IR sensor?
what about optical out?

ifixit.com did find an IR sensor when they did their teardown and Apple lists the remote as an accessory.

Optical audio out is still present.
People keep on telling me to build my own HTPC and not to get the Mac Mini as though it was some cardinal sin.

I really have no need for a disc reader. If I'm going to watch a blu-ray or DVD, I'll do it on my PS3. I'll be ripping all of my media on my vastly superior desktop to hard drives on a file server I have.

I don't really need a tuner/capture card since I don't have cable.

I wanted something with an IR Port included.

I'd like the option to bitstream (I'm awaiting to hear if this is supported in OSX or Windows, the hardware should support it).

I planned on using XBMC and possibly using MPC-HC as an external player if XBMC's picture quality was some how lacking. I'm not familiar with MPlayer OSX and if you can use things like MADVR or FFDShow. I know a lot of MPC-HC depends on Windows renderers. If Mac XBMC or MPlayer are lacking in quality, I'd just use Windows as a primary boot.

Either way I believe this is a very capable machine, far and away it should play every 1080p video out there.

By the way, I'm glad I got it confirmed that there is indeed an IR port in the Mac Mini, but I heard Remote support is broken right now in Lion. I hope this gets fixed with an update soon. Also I'm still trying to find out whether the Mac Mini's IR supports 3rd party remotes or if say a Harmony Remote is supported by the built in IR while using Windows.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] New Thunderbolt Mac Mini!0