HDhomerun as a Backend
Live TV is a function of PVR. For the HD Homerun now, you need to run the Silicon Dust app to generate the STRM files, put those in a directory and set up a Video Source in XBMC that points to those. It's been a while, not sure if that's entirely accurate, but pretty close.
Right on, thanks for all the help!
For those saying Atom can't handle HD home run etc. I use an HDhomerun with a dual core Atom 1.6ghz and using gpu offloading I get perfect results. I even have it running with tvheadend and live tv in xbmc using dvbhdhomerun-utils which makes the tuners on the hdhomerun appear as hardware in the system.

Although I don't like how it currently works. i.e. doesn't start the dvbhdhomerun-utils automatically on startup. IT does display TV perfectly and acts as a fileshare, torrent downloader all at the same time.

I currently just settle for using strm files because I can't be bothered starting up dvbhdhomerun-utils from terminal and any scripts I have written so far don't seem to start it up in a way that tvheadend likes.
Hey, I've just bough an HDhomerun, assuming that it would act as backend to stream and pause live tv through the xbmc Live TV function.
However, I've had no luck getting any of the PVR plug-ins to see the HDhomerun.

If I want to play and pause live tv (and, ideally, have the program guide), what do I need to do?

Do I create the STRM files and place them with my video media files? (and, if so, how do I make these STRM files exactly?)

Do I want to install MythTV on one of my mac computers? (and, if so, how do I point is at the HDhomerun and then point the xbmc at it?)

I would ideally like a step, by step instruction. If there is such instruction available online (google hasn't helped me so far) that I could use, please point me toward it.
Cheers.
Look at openelec.tv to have a nice solution with tvheadend and xbmc working with hdhomerun
Another option which may suit is to run the PVR backend on your NAS. I run TVHeadend on my QNAP, and it works brilliantly. I have 2 XBMC (openelec) PVR frontends that play media (videos, liveTV, recorded TV) from the NAS. If you need to run commercial skipping (or any other CPU intensive function), then this is not the solution for you. I use the QNAP NAS (with TVHeadend installed) to record DVB-T from 2xHDHomeruns. The DVB-T stream is taken directly from the HDHomeruns and written to disk, without any significant processing. The CPU on the NAS is rarely above 10%. My NAS is on all the time, so it made sense to go that way. Each to their own. Also, I concur with the ION post above. I previously ran mythtv (combined frontend-backend) on an ASROCK ION330, and it had no problems recording multiple DVB-T stream, and post processing commercial skipping at the same time. Cheers Nathan
(2011-07-23, 01:53)Kirky99 Wrote: . . . JUST Live TV, you don't even need the PVR version of XBMC if you use a HD Homerun...

What plugin(s) do you need to do this (Live TV using HDHomeRun3 network tuner). I have the Argus For The Record backend installed on the same Windows machine. I gather that there is a plugin for this included in Margro's PVR builds, but what do I need in order to view live TV in XBMC without the PVR version?
nmcaullay that is genius thinking. Qnap is a great candidate for it. I'm trying to figure it out right now. If you do not mind I have few questions for you.

I have problems with pixel imagines with liveTV, not sure which application is causing it, HDHomeRun, MyThTV or XBMC, are you experiencing the same problem or your livetv is clear without issues?

TVHeadend:
I have scheduleDirect, and Verizon, what do you use in the HDHomeRun configuration, ATSC or DVB-T or DVB-C.
I'm getting no channels right now in TVHeadend, not sure what the problem is, any idea?

Thanks for all your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDhomerun as a Backend0